Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from down under. I have a 2012 DX with V&H Widow slip on's. I'm looking to go to a 2-1 and want something a little different that performs well without totally screwing up fuel economy and that not as loud as a 747 taking off. A nice quiet growl would be good.

Every man and his dog seems to have the V&H competition 2-1 here in Oz and while they do look and sound good I hear stories of them scraping a lot and needing repair. Plus, as I said eveyone has them so want something a little unique.

Was looking at the Tab Performance http://www.tabperformance.com/harley-davidson-v-rod-full-2-into-1-exhaust-pipes-p/111-2289.htm?CartID=1

which I really like the look of but I can find very little by way of reviews or you tube vids from anyone who has these. I did say i wanted to be a little unique but I'd still like to know about what I'm buying! So anyone have anything to say about these?

The other option is the Akrapovic which had a great review on Revzilla but they don't sell them any more and hard to find someone who does. Anyone got these? How are they for noise/economy?
And where can I buy them for around $1000 mark? (Revzilla sold them at $1,030.45)

·
VRSCDXA Owner
459 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
110 Posts
Greetings from down under. I have a 2012 DX with V&H Widow slip on's. I'm looking to go to a 2-1 and want something a little different that performs well without totally screwing up fuel economy and that not as loud as a 747 taking off. A nice quiet growl would be good.

The other option is the Akrapovic which had a great review on Revzilla but they don't sell them any more and hard to find someone who does.
As someone who went from Widows to an Akra pipe I can give you my 2 Cents for what its worth.

The Good.
The Akra is beautiful, with all her curves in all the right places.
The tone is like music to my ears, not quite as loud as the Widows but still loud enough so that people know your there, and you could also get the quiet baffle if it's still too loud.
Getting rid of 30 lbs of weight off the side made a huge difference in handling.

The Bad.
TUNING... if you just got the stock 12mm O2 sensors and no access to a good Dyno Tuner then prepare for a bit of a headache. I have a Power Vision and even that was a chore to get a decent tune running with the 12mm sensors, topless with a HF air filter. After a few weeks I got fed up and reached out to this community for some assistance, and got a tune that has been working well but I have since ordered a new Target Tune from FuelMoto with the 18mm O2 sensors.
If you don't get the headers ceramic coated it will be hot, there is a lot of exposed pipe. Your tune will also have a big effect on heat. I have mine coated inside and out and with my crappy tune it was still very hot, better now that I have a better tune.
It doesn't appear that Akrapovic is making this exhaust anymore. If you go on their website it is only found in the Archives section. Hopefully I'm wrong but that may be the reason you can't find it.

I was in the same situation as yourself wanting to go with a cleaner looking 2-1 that wasn't obnoxiously loud and was a bit different than what everyone else had. I couldn't be happier with the Akra, even though we did't get along so well at first, I still would have chosen her but I would have been better prepared for the tuning that was required.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks OCDKV, exactly the advise I was looking for. No one seems to be running the Tab Performance so going to go with the Akropovic.

If they no longer make these I'd hope to find a 'run out' sale somewhere but maybe they are all sold.

1964nightrod that site (http://www.akrapovic-custom.com/ ) just has links back to the main Akropovich site. When I click on the night rod link it just shows one product which is the 'optional noise damper'. So it does indeed seem that they are no longer producing these pipes. Very odd given the great reviews.

Will keep looking for a set that I can purchase here, or get shipped to here in Oz.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Should have jumped on this exhaust when the dollar was at par . With the exchange and ceramic coating the exhaust will be just too expensive . To bad no clear out prices .

·
VRSC est -03
2,535 Posts
With the help of google translate ;
I called this morning the national dealer for Akrapovic to order a system for VRSC . He made ​​contact with Akrapovic ,
with the message from there that some of the products would be paused until further notice ,
for an indefinite date , to be able to further focus on existing and upcoming products ...
Acrapovic have not in stock VRSC in " chrome " edition but very few left in the " black " edition ... So to you out there ; it's urgent...!

And yes, unfavorable exchange rates make this expensive , unfortunately.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got black TAB slip-ons with a full Stage 1 tune. They look and sound awesome although I'm no expert!

If you like, I can post a quick video of them and you can hear what they sound like. Looks like a lot of people in the UK have V&H whereas now TAB seems to be the current choice this year due to the reasons you suggest.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My search has been long and arduous. Rang a bunch of bike shops here in Oz that I thought might have a set but all sold. Found a set for sale on Amazon (say's last set) but with AUD being so low cost was $1700 before shipping, and they wouldn't ship to Australia so would need to use a freight forwarder and pay through the nose.
Found a set at motomummy.com but emailed them first and they said they were out of stock (and of course won't be able to restock).
Found a set at www.emlineamoto.com so just ordered in blind faith that they will actually have a them. Did it with paypal so have 'buyer protection' so not too worried about losing my money if they don't have them. If they don't actually have stock I'm going to give up and maybe get the Bassani. Will let you all know the outcome.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Glad you found what you wanted. I just got this email today from Akrapovic:

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your interest in Akrapovic Exhaust Systems. Due to Capacity issues, we are no longer producing our Harley Line. Basically the line is on hold for now until we can get caught up in the Metric market as that is our main focus.

Unfortunately, we will do not have any VROD systems left as they have all sold out.

Best,

Nicole Allen, MBA
Motorcycle Division Team

Akrapovič d.d.
Malo Hudo 8a
1295 Ivančna Gorica, Slovenia

e: [email protected]
w: www.akrapovic.com
I think this is pretty sad, and there was no mention of an eventual return, but I guess the Akra is a bit of a 'niche' product made for a 'niche' product.

Here's a pic of mine freshly installed a couple of months ago by myself. I'm a bit of a mechanical dunce and I managed to get her on without any trouble or problems, just took my time.:)

20150508_172454[1].jpg

Good Luck, I hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Turns out the place I bought the Akrapovic from (www.emlineamoto.com) didn't have stock. Waiting to (hopefully) get a refund. Order status says Paypal reversed but I've heard nothing from them after multiple tries and there is no refund in my PayPal account - hopefully it is still just being processed.

I see a couple of sets of the Akrapovic on ebay coming out of Italy for about AUD$1700.

I'm wondering if they are worth paying this much for or if I should now look at something different like the Bassani or Tab Performance 2-1.

I love the look of the Akrapovic and they have rave reviews but that's a lot of money for an exhaust system. Revzilla have the Bassani road rage 2 for US$710.96 which converts to about AUD$1100
Not as sexy as the Akrapovic but supposed to be a good pipe.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Turns out the place I bought the Akrapovic from (www.emlineamoto.com) didn't have stock. Waiting to (hopefully) get a refund. Order status says Paypal reversed but I've heard nothing from them after multiple tries and there is no refund in my PayPal account - hopefully it is still just being processed.

I see a couple of sets of the Akrapovic on ebay coming out of Italy for about AUD$1700.

I'm wondering if they are worth paying this much for or if I should now look at something different like the Bassani or Tab Performance 2-1.

I love the look of the Akrapovic and they have rave reviews but that's a lot of money for an exhaust system. Revzilla have the Bassani road rage 2 for US$710.96 which converts to about AUD$1100
Not as sexy as the Akrapovic but supposed to be a good pipe.

Any recommendations?
those arseholes did the same to me.advertised as in stock,took my money,wouldnt answer emails until paypal intervened now waiting ror refund.scammers,dont buy from emlinemoto.they still advertise as in stock knowing they cant supply.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those guys are expensive. I found this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261942489766?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Nearly gone so I need to make up my mind fast! But can't decide between this or getting the cheaper (by about $400) Bassani Road Rage 2-1 here http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bassani-road-rage-2-into-1-exhaust-system-for-harley-v-rod-2007-2015

Edit: Before sending cash I contacted these guys just to double check they had stock. Here is their reply:
Hi kind customer really sorry but this item not is avaible, because akrapovic is shit industry, I sold one 10 days ago, and everything was ok, they had more 'than 10 available, but now there are no more' cause they decided to send them to America and Europe do not know when will be available again, without notifying us retailers .
I ask infinitely sorry for the situation but believe in me, I was not in the least aware of it, in fact, this evening you will not see more 'no insertion of the product.
If I can do anything to make it up I am at your disposal, with greetings Marco D'Amico Performance Hunter.
Please not leave me negative feedback, is more important for my business, i pray you.
So will give it one last shot to try to find a set then go with Bassani I guess...

·
Molon Labe
169 Posts
those arseholes did the same to me.advertised as in stock,took my money,wouldnt answer emails until paypal intervened now waiting ror refund.scammers,dont buy from emlinemoto.they still advertise as in stock knowing they cant supply.
I ordered a set from them a week ago before reading this post. I also found some horrible reviews online as well about them. Low and behold DHL delivered a box from Italy today with my DX exhaust. I guess i was lucky. It is a beautiful exhaust system. Workmanship is excellent

1 - 20 of 25 Posts