Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I did do a search before writing this and there are obviously a ton of posts on both Tab pipes as well as removing baffles on a stock exhaust.

I was interested in hearing people who have heard BOTH and how they compare?

I just picked up an '07 (thank you Fly and PatM!!) and this bike has the baffles completely removed. I will be ordering a PCIII and K&N and before I make the decision to dyno tune it I want to be sure of the pipes I will have on my bike.

I LOVE the way it sounds right now. Nice and deep and not too loud. But I don't love the look of the stock pipe.

Before I decide to order some Tab pipes can those who have heard both tell me how the Tab (with and without baffles) sounds compared to the stock baffleless pipe? Sound clips on the net can not do the sound justice so looking for opinions.

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
ok if you get the tabs you have three options for baffles (I have had all three)
1. no baffles-ear piercing loud (if you wanna know what this sounds like, take off your stock slip-ons all together and start it, but dont run it long)
2. removable baffles - still really loud, but not as raspy just slightly quieter than no baffles
3. non-removable baffles - little bit quieter than the removable baffles and this is probably a little bit louder than the setup you have now...

my favorites are the removable baffles, but everyone i rode with would get pissed from riding behind me when i would accelerate going under an overpass and I decided to get the non-removable ones... still a great sound.

the black powdercoat will almost exactly match the stock black heat shields. Also Todd at Tab will give you the best customer service you have ever had... good luck and enjoy the sounds!!!

scott

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
chenner said:
Okay, I did do a search before writing this and there are obviously a ton of posts on both Tab pipes as well as removing baffles on a stock exhaust.

I was interested in hearing people who have heard BOTH and how they compare?

I just picked up an '07 (thank you Fly and PatM!!) and this bike has the baffles completely removed. I will be ordering a PCIII and K&N and before I make the decision to dyno tune it I want to be sure of the pipes I will have on my bike.

I LOVE the way it sounds right now. Nice and deep and not too loud. But I don't love the look of the stock pipe.

Before I decide to order some Tab pipes can those who have heard both tell me how the Tab (with and without baffles) sounds compared to the stock baffleless pipe? Sound clips on the net can not do the sound justice so looking for opinions.

Thanks in advance! :)
hello...I see you are close to me,Im in toronto alot and will be up there next weekend for Van Halen concert...if you decide to go with the TABS or anything else,Id like to BUY your stock GUTTED cans if you want to sell them....

let me know and thanks alot...if you ever ride down this way or go to PORT DOVER on friday the 13th rides next summer let me know,Ill have my 08 DX soon!

thanks
Dan

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
smharris605 said:
ok if you get the tabs you have three options for baffles (I have had all three)
1. no baffles-ear piercing loud (if you wanna know what this sounds like, take off your stock slip-ons all together and start it, but dont run it long)
2. removable baffles - still really loud, but not as raspy just slightly quieter than no baffles
3. non-removable baffles - little bit quieter than the removable baffles and this is probably a little bit louder than the setup you have now...

my favorites are the removable baffles, but everyone i rode with would get pissed from riding behind me when i would accelerate going under an overpass and I decided to get the non-removable ones... still a great sound.

the black powdercoat will almost exactly match the stock black heat shields. Also Todd at Tab will give you the best customer service you have ever had... good luck and enjoy the sounds!!!

scott
Thanks. That's great information. I think I'm interested in the non-removable baffle version.

So you said it's a bit louder than my current setup. Any comparison about the tone and actual sound?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NOS-DAN said:
hello...I see you are close to me,Im in toronto alot and will be up there next weekend for Van Halen concert...if you decide to go with the TABS or anything else,Id like to BUY your stock GUTTED cans if you want to sell them....

let me know and thanks alot...if you ever ride down this way or go to PORT DOVER on friday the 13th rides next summer let me know,Ill have my 08 DX soon!

thanks
Dan
Sure, will keep that in mind!

·
Banned
1,016 Posts
i bought tabs and made my own baffles, looks good and sounds awesome.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts

Attachments

·
Banned
1,016 Posts
NOS-DAN said:
chenner....there are some sound clips on the site...here is link to TABS,Im not sure if these are baffled though....
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e8/knightenforcer/?action=view&current=CIMG0327.flv

here is a video clip I found here of a members stock pipes,removed baffles and cut short...sounds pretty nice!
what that photobucket video is not picking up is the crazy hollow drone sound those pipes make. They are the same ones I have, when they were empty it was just too much.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Yah I agree hollow pipe doesnt have that nice low tone that the baffled TABS would....

I think this is why I like the thunderheader best over all sounding pipes....TH clearly has that LOW LOW brute tone...which is what I really like!

check out the sound file thread from KC trip in general section...lots there on the dyno to listen to.

Dan

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did check out the sound clips before but it's hard to tell which one sounds louder and deeper because of various recording qualities.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
19 Posts
smharris605 said:

scott

with all do respect, the stock pipes are no where close to the baffled tab pipe. I ran the stock pipe for about 4 months and just recently switched to the slash cut tab baffled pipe and it is much, much louder. It is a huge improvement over the stock pipe. It's a deep and throaty, but not so loud that you will have trouble with the law, or make everyone behind you go deaf. It also doesn't get old when riding long distances. That loud sound is great for showing off, but on a continual basis..... very loud gets very old very fast :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lonewolfe said:
with all do respect, the stock pipes are no where close to the baffled tab pipe. I ran the stock pipe for about 4 months and just recently switched to the slash cut tab baffled pipe and it is much, much louder. It is a huge improvement over the stock pipe. It's a deep and throaty, but not so loud that you will have trouble with the law, or make everyone behind you go deaf. It also doesn't get old when riding long distances. That loud sound is great for showing off, but on a continual basis..... very loud gets very old very fast :)
we're talking about the stock pipe with the baffles removed though, right?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm not far from Toronto, just north of Newmarket. If you want to hear Tabs with no baffles, lets meet somewhere for a ride and you can hear mine.

Ben

·
insane vrod posse...
2,018 Posts
NOS-DAN said:

thanks
Dan
ENJOY THE CONCERT.....

VAN HALEN is not hitting Dallas. :wazzup: The ROCK scene died here years ago.....All the hard rock in San Antonio on 99.5 KISS FM. Dallas radio has 4-5 Tejano....1 ************ station.....and 1 or 2 what you call LAME ROCK....did I say Dallas sucks. :banghead: Needless to say I refuse to retire here. :chair: Years ago it was ""THE ZOO" and Q102. 92.5 has gone pretty much country...and 93.3 is lame. There is a station out of the Red River area North of here towards Okie that is not too bad if you are up in Denton that you might/might not pick up.......

Dallas = RAP KRAP... :barf: the rest country....can't take that either..

·
Registered
163 Posts
My Cut and Gutted stock pipes sound exactly the same as my buddies
TAB Slash Cuts with no baffles.

One more thing --------> They were FREE ($0.00)

·
Registered
244 Posts
lonewolfe said:
i was referring to vs a drilled stock pipe... the stock drilled pipe is alot louder than stock, but i dont think it sounds as good.. it is still rather muted compared to any of the tabs.... IMHO the non removable baffled tabs are the way to go.. great deep sound that doesnt drone at cruising speeds and sounds like an indy car at WOT...:D

scott

·
syclone
44 Posts
smharris605 said:
i was referring to vs a drilled stock pipe... the stock drilled pipe is alot louder than stock, but i dont think it sounds as good.. it is still rather muted compared to any of the tabs.... IMHO the non removable baffled tabs are the way to go.. great deep sound that doesnt drone at cruising speeds and sounds like an indy car at WOT...:D

scott
I agree 100%..... deep at idle and cruise and that Indy Car "wail" at full throttle !! And the black ones look killer on a DX .

·
Banned
1,016 Posts
If you think tabs sound like an indy car you have never herd an indy car. They have a "wail" but it is not one to write home about.

·
Registered
244 Posts
bpipe95 said:
If you think tabs sound like an indy car you have never herd an indy car. They have a "wail" but it is not one to write home about.
well obviously a v twin that redlines at 9000 rpm will never sound close to a v-10 or v-12 that redlines at 24000 rpm, but i guess it was the closest thing i could think of at the time... sorry

1 - 20 of 27 Posts