Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 vrod muscle with a set of TAB pipes on it.I recently took out the baffles and now it is extremely loud.Is there any modifications I can do to baffle so it quiets bike down but is still louder than when stock baffles are in?Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,222 Posts
Here's your answer:

TAB Performance 1.75” exhaust baffles with Helix Racing high density exhaust packing.

You have to buy the baffles separately from TAB. Then, get some of the Helix Racing packing and repack the baffles with as much as you can-- wire it in TIGHT.

Problem: Solved.

PS: Also, without running any baffles whatsoever, your bike may not run quite as well since those pipes were designed to run with baffles. At least that's been my experience.

·
Registered
84 Posts
@flybigjet, do you have any sound clips of your V-Rod? I'm looking at doing something for my ride. The way I bought it from the previous owner, he kept the OEM pips, but took out all the baffling. It has a PV and auto tuner. It's kind of funny because everyone tells me the sound is great, that I don't need to do anything, but to me it's a little on the loud side. Plus, I don't like the way he caped off the end with a vent plate.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,222 Posts
No sound clips. Don't know the size limitations of sound/video files and I have nowhere to host them.

PM me instructions (angle from exhaust, distance, rpm, etc.) and I'll see what I can do. I have an iPhone and a MacBook Pro-- that's it.

And I agree with you on the vents. They're...... unusual, to say the least.

R.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here's your answer:

TAB Performance 1.75” exhaust baffles with Helix Racing high density exhaust packing.

You have to buy the baffles separately from TAB. Then, get some of the Helix Racing packing and repack the baffles with as much as you can-- wire it in TIGHT.

Problem: Solved.

PS: Also, without running any baffles whatsoever, your bike may not run quite as well since those pipes were designed to run with baffles. At least that's been my experience.

FBJ, how would you describe the sound of those baffles? Other than 'perfect'.

I shopped a lot of bikes and liked the tabs the best for having some volume but not being obnoxious. My bike had tabs on it when i got it and what look to be the 2.5 baffles and it is obnoxious. Louder than any other tab equipped bike I've been around. It's loud at idle but sounds mean and just goes stupid from there.

Thats fine when i want to be an a-hole around my HD buddies but for the first time i feel like I have to wear ear plugs inside my helmet, it isn't optional and riding very far without them is something i regret each time.

Id be happy with something that still sounds tough without missing the smell of nitro burning.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,222 Posts
Sound is obviously subjective, but "perfect for me" is a good descriptor.

Not too loud, but not like a sewing machine either.

They don't drone at cruise, but put the hammer down, and they bark nicely.

I'm VERY pleased with the combination.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

If you're anywhere near Denver, you're more than welcome to come take a listen.

R.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ya, if we aren't measuring tone and db it's all subjective. I've read another post that states the difference between the 1.75 and 2 is about 5db at idle.

Assuming you started with the 2 or 2.5 baffles what i'm really wondering is if the 1.75 are quieter. Not having the sewing machine exhaust is definitely a worth goal...

The baffles and packing aren't expensive so I may just give them a try. I haven't taken these apart yet but i suspect I'll find a lack of packing.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,222 Posts
I dug this out from my archived emails from a few years back. It's from Aaron at Tab so I'd consider this pretty definitive.

The question that I posed was: "What is the difference between the 1.75 and 2.0" baffles? I realize that the 2.0's would be a bit louder, but do you have an actual db? Also, would there be any performance gain, or would it not be worth the effort of swapping them out?

His response was: "Thanks for contacting us. The difference in dB's at idle is around 5 or so. If you're happy with the sound of the 1.75" I'd say you'd be fine getting rid of the 2". Basically with the higher back pressure of the 1.75" you'll tend to generate more low end torque, but lose some of your top end hp compared to the 2". Unless you plan on drag racing the low end torque will probably be more beneficial for you anyway."

·
F2NV
1,786 Posts
I used to have the tab pipes. I pulled the baffles and it was stupid loud. It also killed the low end torque. Sound is hard to describe in text but the other baffles should give you the tone and volume you want.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey guys. I just want to give a big shout out to Flybigjets!! I have been working with him for the past week or so. Messaging him left and right with all kinds of questions (apparently I’m a little OCD). I went with his suggestion for new slip-on configuration above. Even though Tab Performance does not carry the 1.75 baffles like the one FBJ ordered, the stock 2 inch worked just fine. My bike looks so much better (see picture before above) and sounds so much too! I absolutely love the sound and it exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again FBJ!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.