Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
! ! !tab autotuner finally here! ! !

I know there are a lot of you who have been waiting for this for a while, but it's finally available! The brand new TAB Performance Auto Tuners!Tired of having to make fine tune adjustments to your fuel manager every time the weather changes or you ride at a different elevation? Then this is the fuel manager for you! The TAB Performance Auto Tuner uses your factory O2 sensors to automatically adjust for changes in your riding style or riding conditions.The can be found on our website under the Fuel manager section or by clicking on the following link: http://www.tabperformance.com/servlet/the-Fuel-Manager/Categories

This was tabs official release statement on their facebook page today. It is official and you can watch the install video first on my channel located in my signature line in about 4 hours. there already is a teaser clip on there.

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Love to know how it works out...but for a few more bucks I think I would go pc-v but keep us posted
So to touch quickly on this I will give you the clip from the email that I sent to Justin Pflanz at TAB after installing and reviewing the tuner.

PERFORMANCE is FANTASTIC! I hope I didn't over-emphasize lol. I get such a better response in varying conditions. Here in Idaho I can get a 40 deg. temp swing from morning to afternoon and I used to have to find the happy medium between the two on the open loop tuner so it ran good. The new tuner is compensating for all of that and it is amazing. I have quite a bit more power while on the throttle and it would seem that the fuel mileage has increased if I keep out of the throttle but I am going to have to ride it some more to confirm that.

After having ridden it for another week since that email I have more to report. Fuel mileage is the same as it was on the previous Tab tuner, It has better response from the 3-5k rpm range. I also noticed that it makes the bike run just a bit more rich than I preferred for it to run. Which is not the best news in cooler weather 35-65 deg F. because it increases the amount of pop on deceleration. Instead of just a nice gurgle it pops and cackles pretty loudly when its cooler out. Once it warms up everything smooths out and its pretty normal. Nice HP and response gain overall even in cooler weather. As far as the install goes it is different. Here is a link to the install video Tab had me create for them.

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent video. Do you plan on getting a dyno on it? Did you do a dyno run on it prior to install to see if it's better than the standard Tab fuel manager?
I have both the old tuner and the new one. I am just a poor broke moddicted schmo. I cant afford to bounce that thing on the dyno on a whim. But if you guys want to raise a collection I will go do it as soon as the funds are raised haha. I can tell you that from the drivers seat the accelleration is smoother and a bit more powerfull. cruising speeds are actually a bit quieter on the pipes and smoother.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have both the old tuner and the new one. I am just a poor broke moddicted schmo. I cant afford to bounce that thing on the dyno on a whim. But if you guys want to raise a collection I will go do it as soon as the funds are raised haha. I can tell you that from the drivers seat the accelleration is smoother and a bit more powerfull. cruising speeds are actually a bit quieter on the pipes and smoother.
Seems like Tab would sponsor your dyno run :)

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok Homies. My ears are ringing. I just decided to try something on a whim. I had this thought... I didn't like the way the open loop tuner performed with the baffles out but what about NOW with the auto tuner????!!!! As you know its 2 bolts to pull the baffles and WHOA BUDDY!!! LOUD is an understatement. I figured what the heck Ill take it around the block... Then that sounded good so I took it down the main st to see how it performed at surface st speed... I liked that so the next thing I know I'm getting on the freeway and WOW it is performing exactly like it does with the baffles (which is awesome BTW) and I am in shock right now!! I am going to roll to work like this tomorrow morning to see how it does in cooler weather... Ill let you all know tomorrow. I think the baffles in are one step lower than the Big shots but with the baffles out the only comparison I can make is the sounds heard down at your local speedway... You know what I mean... No mufflers LOL.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I recently picked up a used set of TAB baffled slip ons and the original tuner. I agree, installation was a breeze and an email to TAB customer service before I began was replied by Justin within minutes. Sound is great, performance is great. I am a happy camper - they have proven to be a top notch organization! Kudos TAB!

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What does the auto tuner do to the warranty? Is it better than a custom dyno tune from the H-D dealer?
If you are worried about the warranty then you should not do any work on the bike yourself. Have harley install everything. I wont let another service tech work on my bike again. If you have the cash to have harley install everything then you probably have the cash to have the dyno runs and constant custom tuning that the tts and pcv need. Or you can run a auto tuner and not worry about it. I am out of warranty and I dont even worry about it. The bike is a champ and it isnt like your normall harlwy which is missing bolts and leaking oil in the first 1000 miles HAHAHA

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you are worried about the warranty then you should not do any work on the bike yourself.
True. I will ignore the warranty for now, but what about the difference in drivibility and performance between the Tab Auto Tune and a tune done on a dyno? Does anyone have any results with using the Tab Auto Tuner?

·
Registered
67 Posts
True. I will ignore the warranty for now, but what about the difference in drivibility and performance between the Tab Auto Tune and a tune done on a dyno? Does anyone have any results with using the Tab Auto Tuner?
A dyno run would certainly do a lot to persuade people to spend the $907 for a Tab filter, auto tune, and exhaust. Just sayin-

·
Registered
165 Posts
A dyno run would certainly do a lot to persuade people to spend the $907 for a Tab filter, auto tune, and exhaust. Just sayin-
Isn't a dyno tune usually used to adjust the manual tuner? If the tuner is automatic and constantly adjusts, how could a technician make any adjustments? Did I read that wrong, and you implied that the dyno would be just a HP check run vs used for tuning? If you meant just for HP, then I want to see it too!

Tab: ball is in your court! Let's see the before and after!

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
While I dont think any of these guys on the forum can afford to bounce around trying out tuners I think you can just use their testimonials and their dyno run numbers to make a decision. I was the test monkey for the auto tuner even though I'm sure they had to do some dyno runs. Contact them on their website to ask them about the dyno numbers and see the posts in the following threads. Read them through cuz all of these guys have great results with whatever they are running.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165177

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165665

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159578

I think the biggest difference you are going to find is a very small horsepower increase for several hundred more dollars when going with the TTS and PC-V and you will have to shell out for a dyno tuning run every few months until you find a setting that you like. The first mistake the dyno guys make is they try to squeeze every last bit of HP out of the motor and while that is AWESOME while you are on the throttle it makes general drive-ability pretty rough. A nice blend between HP and all around performance seems to be the general settling point for all those guys from what I have read about their tuners. Of course you have quite a few that will SCREAM that you WILL NOT get the same performance out of something cheaper that what they got sold on and that is their opinion but again they did not go out and buy both to try them out and their numbers are not that much different while their price tag was WAY higher and climbing because they have to go do dyno runs on a regular basis to adjust for changes in weather and altitude.

Good luck with whatever you choose man and I hope you ride that b*tch like you stole it!!!

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After several tanks of fuel now and running both with and without baffles I have fuel and performance findings.

1. With 2" baffles: Great sound, Healthy back pop + gurgling on downshift below 4500 rpm and occasional back pop when cruising between 3800 and 4100 RPM. No backpop when downshifting above 5000 RPM and it sounds great. I noticed great performance with the baffles and the sound is best described as like a well tuned corvette Not exactly of course (V-8 vs. V-2 DUH) but the tone is very close. Good back pressure for engine braking on downshift and 32 MPG. Definitely my favorite way to run.

2. Without baffles "LOUD" is an understatement. Sounds awesome when hard on the throttle and under bridges. Annoys the hell out of cell phone distracted drivers. Catches the attn of the Idaho State Police Motorcycle force. Had one catch up to me yesterday just to give my bike a good look-over then he passed me just to attempt to show me that his was faster. When down shifting below 4500 RPM the bike gurgles and pops and complains like nothing I have ever heard LOL, It sounds good but its kindof annoying, When downshifting or laying off the throttle for engine braking to occur above 6000 rpm it sounds UNREAL. Like an Indy car. Engine braking is NOT as effective and I have to use the brakes more than I would like and 31.5 MPG

I look forward to getting the opportunity to do some dyno runs to get some hard numbers on HP and torque. As best as I could tell it seems like some lower end torque is lost between 1500-4500 RPMs without the baffles but some higher end HP is gained between 6000-8000 RPMs. With the Baffles however seems to be a smoother blend for cruising and performance plus you don't have to wear earplugs on the freeway. I hope this report and all the info I have provided was helpful and this will probably be my last post on the matter unless I get some dyno runs in sometime in the future. BTW I now have an open loop TAB tuner for sale LOL. $100 you pay shipping.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts