Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
that is a tank bag i wouldnt mindhaving on my bike.. not to large but enough to hold what i needed.. money ..phone.. water.. etc.. i dont care fo the ones that are likea foot tall .. i really dont care for a tank bag at all but would consider this one when i travel like to KC

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Tank bags always scare me due to paint scratch worries. I wonder how well the suction cups would be on anodized V's, my guess is not good.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Cool product but company needs new name :spit:

Reminds me of Topanga Oil Company, an industrial lubricants company north of L.A., that went by the nickname 'Topco'. They got a call one day from someone who was shocked to hear the smallest size container Topco sold lubes in were 5-gallon pails; he said, "Do you know how long it would take me to use that much?!" Found out later in the conversation that he wanted a different company called Topco -- a sex lubes store!:slap:

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
i shouldnt think the suction cups would be that bad ken as long as he place you were putting it was really clean to begin with.. i would think it would be better than magnets..

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
This also has a pad to go between the bag and airbox cover, you punch holes out where the suction cups go. I never put in on my ride was going to use it for a ride to KC that will, for me have to wait to 2008.

David

·
Lover of Bikes
1,726 Posts
I'd love a tankbag and this one looks cool but it MUST have a clear map holder which this one doesn't. I've got a chrome airbox cover and I have guaranteed myself that no matter what kind of tankbag I'd get, it would cause spiderwebing in the finish. I used to carry a magnetic tankbag on my old bike which I kept super clean and it dulled the finish...you can't avoid it. For that reason I'm never getting a tankbag unless someone could prove to me that it does not damage the finish, even if it is only slight.

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beeek said:
I'd love a tankbag and this one looks cool but it MUST have a clear map holder which this one doesn't. I've got a chrome airbox cover and I have guaranteed myself that no matter what kind of tankbag I'd get, it would cause spiderwebing in the finish. I used to carry a magnetic tankbag on my old bike which I kept super clean and it dulled the finish...you can't avoid it. For that reason I'm never getting a tankbag unless someone could prove to me that it does not damage the finish, even if it is only slight.

They do make a map holder that would be easy to Velcro to the top of the bag: http://www.tbags.com/detail.aspx?ID=68&SelectedCat=2

As for the hurting the finish, I would think that the suction cups would minimize it more than any other mounting solution. My Cortex Mini with straps and soft foam backing did no damage on a 1200 mile ride, but it did not see dirt or rain and I protected where the straps rubbed on the painted airbox with vinyl tape. Also, I had a good shine on the clear coat. Usually small scratches buff out with Ziano swirl remover. I would never leave a tank bag on all the time, or use one on a dirty surface. The surface must be free of dirt and dust.

Fred

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Suction cups don't damage the anodized surface unless they're allowed to come loose. Damage is done by lateral movement on the surface.

The anodized coating is much harder than paint or clearcoat and resists the microscratches nicely.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have heard T-Bags have a bag that straps on the bitch seat of a V-rod but I cannot find it in their catalog. Has anyone seen it?

·
Subluxation Free
172 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got the T-bags Shuttle pack which came out before the V-pack. The suction cups have not caused any damage to the paint. One thing the instructions point out which was not on the web site the last time I checked is that you need to keep the surface dry. Which means you'd have to do a good job of wiping it down after getting caught in an over night shower for example.

Overall I've been happy with the Shuttle. I have finished rides and found a couple of cups loose though. Hence the reason they came out with the V which better follows the contour of the VR* tanks. As for the map pocket I agree but its no longer an issue for me with the GPS

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts

·
Think Warm & Sunny
156 Posts
V-Pac

I have the V-Pak I've used for about 2 months with absolutely no damage to my Chopper Blue Airbox.

There is always a potential for scratches from minute bits of dirt between the 6 2in suction cups and the airbox. I'm overly cautions when installing it. I wax the airbox and clean the bags suction cups before every install. I never use it in rain.

To date...No scratches. It's just right for a few small items.

·
Black & Chrome
353 Posts
I have the V-Pak for my D, goot item to have but the suction cups won't stick to the denim paint on my bike. I have laid some clear packing tape down on the air box cover before so the suction cups have something to stick to and the clear tape didn't hurt my finish either when I peeled it off.

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WEATHERMAN said:
I have the V-Pak I've used for about 2 months with absolutely no damage to my Chopper Blue Airbox.

There is always a potential for scratches from minute bits of dirt between the 6 2in suction cups and the airbox. I'm overly cautions when installing it. I wax the airbox and clean the bags suction cups before every install. I never use it in rain.

To date...No scratches. It's just right for a few small items.
Can you post a few pics to show how it looks from different angles on your bike, and what the interior looks like? Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts