Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm visiting because I'm considering switching from my '07 Heritage to a Vrod. The reason for the switch is the high heat and the effects of it on my comfort, my safety and my enjoyment of the ride.

Here's a little background: I started out on a Honda Rebel 250 (like a lot of people), after 4 months I graduated to a Yamaha Vstar 1100 which I put 21K on. I rode it for 4 years and got the Heritage last November and I've put 3K on it.

I'm short in stature, a female, I ride only short trips (due to having a small baby) and I'm not an agressive rider.

If I may ask some questions of you:

1. pros of owning a Vrod
2. cons of owning a Vrod

Now if you've come from a cruiser to a Vrod:

1. ride differences
2. handling differences
3. fun differences
4. touring differences

I appreciate the time anyone gives me by helping me decide.

Last - could someone tell me the differences of the Vrod defined by models? All those letters are confusing. :)

!. Pros of owning a VRod

·
Wore Out Woodworker
1,620 Posts
Welcome to 1130 Mookie. Everything about owning a V-Rod is a pro. The biggest reason I ride the V is because it is different than anything else out there. The bad thing about the V is that Harley really does not make alot of accessories parts for it. But you can go aftermarket. Go to my gallery and look at my bike.
With you being short I would suggest you lower the bike. It will help you to plant your feet on the pavement.
This bike rides great, it handels great, and is so much fun. If you are going to tour the first thing I would do is change out the seat. After about 250 miles or so it really gets uncomfortable for me. All in all though its the best bike I have ever owned. You can't go wrong.
As far as the different models go to the Harley and there they list all the models. Or just go to the dealer and sit on each one and find one that fits you.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hiya Mookie :vrodforu: I am far from being small in stature, so take this with a grain of salt. I think the VRSCD model with its mid controls might be a better choice for you. On the other hand there are several women on this forum that ride A models which have forward controls that they have modified by using the "Reach" seat and the "Reach" pegs available at Harley.
The only VR that you may have problems with is the R model as it is very tall. As to the different models, try this link

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63548&highlight=v-rod+models

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
mookie said:
Hi everyone!

I'm visiting because I'm considering switching from my '07 Heritage to a Vrod. The reason for the switch is the high heat and the effects of it on my comfort, my safety and my enjoyment of the ride.

Here's a little background: I started out on a Honda Rebel 250 (like a lot of people), after 4 months I graduated to a Yamaha Vstar 1100 which I put 21K on. I rode it for 4 years and got the Heritage last November and I've put 3K on it.

I'm short in stature, a female, I ride only short trips (due to having a small baby) and I'm not an agressive rider.

If I may ask some questions of you:

1. pros of owning a Vrod
2. cons of owning a Vrod

Now if you've come from a cruiser to a Vrod:

1. ride differences
2. handling differences
3. fun differences
4. touring differences

I appreciate the time anyone gives me by helping me decide.

Last - could someone tell me the differences of the Vrod defined by models? All those letters are confusing. :)

!. Pros of owning a VRod
Mookie, :vrodforu: I am a male, 5' 11". As to the answers to your questions:
1. The ride difference between a V-rod and an airhead are night and day. The rod is nimble and you will like the feel of the bike right away. Since the engine has such a short stroke, slowing down only requires closing the throttle. Going fast is always an option as long as you have road in front of you.
2. This sort of goes along with number 1. The handling is crisp, the acceleration is also crisp, just open the throttle and hang on because you will be going fast quickly. The rev limit on my Fatboy is 5600 rpm, on the V-rod it's 9,000 rpm. You will have a lot longer power band with the V than with an airhead. The revolution engine will pull strong right up to the rev limiter. You don't have to shift as often, you can go faster in first gear than on an airhead and not worry about shifting. Lugging this engine is not one of the things you really want to do.
3. The fun factor: no comparison, :dance: :dance: this bike is the most fun you can have in public with your clothes on. It's also the most fun you can have in private with your clothes on. The V-rod is the best kept secret in the Harley line up. The Motor Company (moco for short) built the bike to make inroads into the sport bike market, and they are doing just that to some extent, although not as quickly as they would have liked I'm sure.
4. Touring: the bike can be fitted with bags. One of the members here, Danii put a fairing on his. There is also a company that will fully outfit a V-rod with a fairing and bags much like an electra glide or a road glide. The purchase of this bike is definitely only a downpayment on the accessories.:broke: . Hope this helps in making the decision, one thing to realize: V-rodders are the red headed step children of the Harley fold!!

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
mookie.. you should actually define short.. it means different things to different people ..

that being said.. i am 5 foot 7 and female and have NO problems flat footing my bike.. i have an A.. the R is the tallest and i have to tip toe on it....I really enjoy my forward controls.. not a big fan of mids.. that is something you need to decide for yourself by sitting on a bike.. if you are shorter you may want to change your seat out to one that pushes you forward slightly and lowers you down .. and then change your bars out to the reduced reach ones...just depends on how you like to ride.. i like my elbows more down.. so i changed my bars out ..

the only cons i can think of are .. A.. you are gonna wanna do mods and B if you dont like attention i dont suggest you buy this bike LOL

·
Wore Out Woodworker
1,620 Posts
the only cons i can think of are .. A.. you are gonna wanna do mods and B if you dont like attention i dont suggest you buy this bike LOL[/QUOTE said:
Very well said Ollie.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SawDawg

Thanks for the warm welcome!

<<With you being short I would suggest you lower the bike. It will help you to plant your feet on the pavement.>>

How do you lower a Vrod - technically? Hubby has lower every bike I've owned except the Rebel. He could probably do it if he knew what to expect.

I would probably want to change both the seat and the handlebars. I've done that everytime too. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
murphyslaw

Thanks for the welcome!

I think I lean more towards the forward control knowing that I would probably need a Reach seat & possibly the Reach controls.

I'm not only short but I'm old. LOL! I don't think my joints could handle riding with my ankles turned for a long period of time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tagrat

Thank you for the nice welcome!

<<Mookie, I am a male, 5' 11". >>
Looks like I'm about 8" shorter than you.

<<As to the answers to your questions:
1. The ride difference between a V-rod and an airhead are night and day. The rod is nimble and you will like the feel of the bike right away. Since the engine has such a short stroke, slowing down only requires closing the throttle. Going fast is always an option as long as you have road in front of you. >>

I like the idea of closing the throttle to slow down. My V* was like that and I got very used to it.

<<2. This sort of goes along with number 1. The handling is crisp, the acceleration is also crisp, just open the throttle and hang on because you will be going fast quickly. The rev limit on my Fatboy is 5600 rpm, on the V-rod it's 9,000 rpm. You will have a lot longer power band with the V than with an airhead. The revolution engine will pull strong right up to the rev limiter. You don't have to shift as often, you can go faster in first gear than on an airhead and not worry about shifting. Lugging this engine is not one of the things you really want to do.>>

As I said I'm not an agressive rider - is all that power going to get me hurt? I don't me by being a fool with not controlling it but by accident? Not shifting as often sounds like it would take some getting used to.

<<3. The fun factor: no comparison, this bike is the most fun you can have in public with your clothes on. It's also the most fun you can have in private with your clothes on. The V-rod is the best kept secret in the Harley line up. The Motor Company (moco for short) built the bike to make inroads into the sport bike market, and they are doing just that to some extent, although not as quickly as they would have liked I'm sure.>>

Honey, I've been married almost 31 years...fun is welcome wherever I can get it! :dance:

<<4. Touring: the bike can be fitted with bags. One of the members here, Danii put a fairing on his. There is also a company that will fully outfit a V-rod with a fairing and bags much like an electra glide or a road glide. The purchase of this bike is definitely only a downpayment on the accessories. . Hope this helps in making the decision, one thing to realize: V-rodders are the red headed step children of the Harley fold!!>>

The one Vrod I saw I liked had bags on it. Not leather but some type of fabric type material. I liked them...kind of "cute".
Red headed step-children huh? I've always been one to buck the system, do my own thing and live life the way I choose. My V* was covered in spikes, I wear my hair in spikes and I have 6 tats - I think me and the Rod would get along fine. :moon:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
3olivemartini

<<mookie.. you should actually define short.. it means different things to different people ..

Well, let's see I'm 3" shorter than you. Not much to us women but if a man were told he was 3" shorter... LOL!

<<that being said.. i am 5 foot 7 and female and have NO problems flat footing my bike.. i have an A.. the R is the tallest and i have to tip toe on it....I really enjoy my forward controls.. not a big fan of mids.. that is something you need to decide for yourself by sitting on a bike.. if you are shorter you may want to change your seat out to one that pushes you forward slightly and lowers you down .. and then change your bars out to the reduced reach ones...just depends on how you like to ride.. i like my elbows more down.. so i changed my bars out .. >>

Sounds like you and I like the way we sit a bike very similarly. I don't like drag bars - been there, done that. I like forward controls, I like my bars back and down.

<<the only cons i can think of are .. A.. you are gonna wanna do mods and B if you dont like attention i dont suggest you buy this bike LOL>>

Definitely not me - I love attention. I like having a bike that surprised men that it's a girls ride. I like talking to people about my bike. I like changing a bike to make it my own. The Rod is sounding better and better. :)

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
:welcome: go and buy yourself a Vrod already :D I've had a few different harleys and customs and this is by far my favorite :thumb:

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts

·
Wore Out Woodworker
1,620 Posts
Mookie, you need to just go and buy that V-Rod already. LOL
Its very simple to lower just change out the rear shocks for shorter ones and change out the front springs. Now, I want to see a post tomorrow that you are a new V-Rod owner.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Hiya Mookie.

I don't think anyone answered your question as to which is which (but maybe I missed it). I'm assuming you are buying new, if not this post is a waste of time :)

Also, I'm new to V-Rods myself, and I'm based in Europe, where things are a bit different. If I make an error doubtless someone will correct me.

The standard V-Rod is the AW (which I have, though an 07). You won't want this.

The D, the Night Rod, has mid controls. Normally I think these are a bad idea because the seat is so low, but it may suit you because you have less leg to fold up, try it.

The DX is a lowered D with forward controls and drag bars (and a snazzy pain scheme). I think this will suit you. You may need a reach seat, as other have said, and you might need to bring the controls back (for which there is a Harley parts set). The bars will be too long a reach, you will need to get the dealer to change them.

The V-Rod is a hard sell because trad Harley riders want a trad Harley, and people from a sports bike background, like me, assume it is a wheelbarrow because it says Harley (actually it is a fine sporting, not sports, bike, but try telling someone with a sports bike that - my friends won't stop laughing, until they try it). Because of this, in Europe at least, you can bully the dealers a bit. I'd expect the reach seat, the bars and, if you need them, the reach controls for free. The same is probably true in the US.

Pros and cons? The fuel gauge is dodgy (or was for 07 anyway). Getting more noise is complicated. Otherwise, if you are used to old fashioned Harleys, I think it will be a revelation.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
My wife is 5'0" and when she's ready for a bigger bike she's going for the Night Rod. Lowing the bike is a piece of cake. Here are the mods I know I will have to make to get it to fit her but based on some testing we did on a couple of D's it's all she'll need.

12" rear shocks (progressives, probably 412's)
Slide the front forks down 1.25" in the tree
Reduced reach seat, moves her forward and slightly lower
Reduced reach bars to pull hem back about 1.5"
Reduced reach peg kit from an A to bring the highway pegs back.

All in all it's a piece of cake to get a Night Rod sized for someone around 5' 2". To sweeten the deal you can find some low mileage used D's out there for a very attractive price.

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
at 5'3" i dont think you should have a problem with the height if you change your seat to one the lowers you down one more inch..if i am not mistaken the seat height is only 26 inches( i could be wrong about that ) i have one that does that and puses me forward just a bit.. i didnt need the lower .. but the foward was just that i needed.. so sit on one and decide.. i am lowering my bike because i got a good deal on some shocks.. and sliding the forks in the trees is a no cost mod..i think this is a fairly simple bike to make fit your needs..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts