Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a couple of threads about replacing or checking the bushing (48372-05) and bearing (9208), but my question doesn't fit the old threads.

When I removed my swingarm, I noticed corrosion on the pivot shaft at the bushing and bearing contact areas.

Since some sport bikes use "plastic" bushings for the same application, has anyone tried this? If it is a metric swing arm, I may be able to find an alternative part, or I could have some made.

There isn't a fitting for lube, so I'm thinking about long term durability / low maintenance.

Any pros / cons / or general thoughts about this mod?

·
Buy American!
3,966 Posts
There are a couple of threads about replacing or checking the bushing (48372-05) and bearing (9208), but my question doesn't fit the old threads.

When I removed my swingarm, I noticed corrosion on the pivot shaft at the bushing and bearing contact areas.

Since some sport bikes use "plastic" bushings for the same application, has anyone tried this? If it is a metric swing arm, I may be able to find an alternative part, or I could have some made.

There isn't a fitting for lube, so I'm thinking about long term durability / low maintenance.

Any pros / cons / or general thoughts about this mod?
I think that the better idea that you have is to install a fitting for lube. I wouldn't trust plastic bushings for too long.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm doing other mods and need to pull the bushing and bearing to anodize it, so I might as well look at other options since it is apart.

A friend suggested installing needle bearing assemblies in both sides.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I just had a problem with my belt rubbing a hole in the upper rear of the gas tank.. The culprit was worn bushing in the swing arm and a stretched belt... could wiggle the pivot shaft in the old swingarm.. Luckily I gad another swingarm to replace mine.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.