Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe someone has some information for me.

While I had my bike up on the jack this weekend for wheel cleaning I bumped the rear wheel and heard a clunk. I haven't pin pointed where it comes from but I can hear it if I grab the rear wheel while faceing the license plate and move it side to side. I do get some side to side movement. I have not measured it yet but it looks like it may be around 1/8".

My questions are:

1. Is this normal?
2. Could this cause my problem of pulling to the right?
3. Has anyone else noticed this?
4. What, if anything, needs to be done.

Thanks,
Paul

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
1. Is this normal?
NO
2. Could this cause my problem of pulling to the right?
As well as instability in the corners, wandering all over the highway and various other handling related quirks
3. Has anyone else noticed this?
First I've heard of
4. What, if anything, needs to be done.
Get the bike to the dealer and insist they check the swingarm bearings. It sounds like one or both of them are bad or at least the swingarm bolt isn't tight.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Next time we get our bikes up on the multitude of lifts we all seem to have purchased in the last few months, lets check and report!

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Mine is on the lift as we speak and the rear wheel is as solid as can be. NO movement at all.

Is it the wheel moving in the swaingarm or the swingarm moving in the frame. Maybe this is another case of bad wheel bearings. Did you ever have grease streaks on your wheels starting from the center?

Ken

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Just pulled mine off the lift. No movement.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ken,

I think the slop is in the swing arm pivot. The bike only has 2000 miles on it, so it shouldn't be the wheel bearings. I have never seen any grease on the wheel. I am going to take it in for inspection.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi All

My dealer just replaced my swing arm bolt. HD has a new bolt for the swing arm with a few more threads cut onto them. This allows for more pressure on the swing arm bearings. I was having an engine vibration and they felt this may be the problem. I don't have the part number for the new bolt, maybe Max has more information.

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
I brought my bike to the dealer for routine service and the first thing they checked was for "an update on the rear axle".

FYI, I'm told the part is standard on 2004.

Juan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts