Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of installing 5 Gallon trick tank...while I am at it getting some new rubber on both tires also and new brake pads.
Going to also replace front and rear wheel bearing sets while the wheels are off....hd 9247 bearings are approx 30 bucks each...ridicously priced IMHO.Any opinions or anyone ever use all balls bearings? can get them for 12 bucks each seem to be made by KML.Also looking at the swing arm bearings,did not notice any play in the swing arm upon disassembly,but I did not check it either....I notice the swing arm bearings do not spin at all when I try to move them with my finger should they spin freely or is this normal the bike is a 2003 with only 7K miles on it.Any insight is appreciated thanks.

·
Dare to Dream
497 Posts
I also had to replace my wheel bearings in the rear wheel, mine were squealing. Not a bad idea to check the pulley bearing also. I changed my swingarm from an 04 type to an 05/06 chromed one, and if I recall the bearing isnt really a ball or roller type, its more like a steel bushing in a bushing that is orbital, I guess is a good word. I also couldnt get it to move until I spun it around the way it does not turn in the swingarm, if that makes sense, I made it orbit in every direction I guess I mean. Then it was more free. Also once it is in the swingarm, as it gets pressed in, its real tight to move.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
The 03 has bearings in the swingarm.it's common for them to not rotate from sitting in the same spot all the time.clean them,inspect them and reuse them if they check OK.
Check the wheel bearings too.Do this by rotating them and feel for rough spots and leaking seals.They can be checked while installed in the wheel.If the wheel bearings check ok,reuse them too.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
what's the mileage on these bikes that you folks have replaced bearings on?

·
Dare to Dream
497 Posts
I replaced my entire rear wheel and pulley bearings at I think it was 18,000 miles. One of them was squealing for sure, the problem drove me nuts for half a riding season here in PA. I removed the wheel and pulley and spun the bearings to no avail at finding which one was the culprit, so I replaced them all, this came after messing with the rear brake numerous times, thinking it was the problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the front wheel bearings are bad I can feel them plus they have never been replaced before the rears were replaced under waranty when the bike was newer when I first got it, getting replaced also since its apart....Well I think I am going reassemble it and check the swing arm for any play then decide from there on whether to replace them or just let them go the bike has 8K miles on it.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,161 Posts
What kind of bearings does everyone use and where do you get them?

My rear is squealing a bit now. I don't want ceramic - too much for me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think most use the harley part number(9247) or (9267) which is pricey for a bearing that does not seem to last very long.....I ordered mine from "all balls" 12 bucks each, but I also saw wheel bearings as low as 12 bucks for a set(2) on another vrod website subtract r out vrod and replace with the letter m. See JPCycle also
All Balls gets bearings from a manufacturer called KML google them.
I will check the fitment and quaity and report back......Not paying harley 25-30 bucks per bearing...

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
the swingarm bearing isn't much of a bearing.. and unless you have a press or the driver required for it, it's easy to jack it up.. unless it is really loose then i wouldn't mess with it.. just my opinon..

·
Dare to Dream
497 Posts
If you do decide to remove or install your own swingarm bearing, I used my own press, and I highly recommend a press, but I dont have alot of collars and bushings for it. I always use a good quality socket like from a socket set I have, works like a champ, and if they are good quality sockets, they usually have a good quality warranty, if it gets messed up get it replaced, but in this swingarm bearing the arm is aluminum, so its not that hard of a press to do, just an accurate one since that bearing is a little wierd to deal with and the swingarm is kinda odd shaped to hold while pressing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts