Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey team i work on bikes daily havent actually posted or made an account here till now so figured i ought to do that lol....

So i've been trying to remove the swing arm on an 05 vrod.

Ive been banging the crap out of it . the thread on the axel is probably irrecoverable at this point. it has barely moved.

I've removed the 30mm nut. I tried using a power bar with 14mm allen key socket to and sprayed the fk out of i with penetrate just hoping i could get it to budge a bit.. and it wont budge even using my leg to move it... so uhhh any ideas?

it has to come out as i have another swingarm to put on it. cant put the nut back on that axel either :D

·
Noel
4,579 Posts
Watch the shaft possibly hanging up of the bushing between the frame, swingarm as you apply force.

Figuring a lot of corrosion between the shaft and the engine case bosses has you bound up, wonder if tilting the bike to either side for several hours and the use of PB Blaster or your favorite chemicals might help some?

If that does not give relief, then some heat on the back of the engine where the shaft passes, careful with the fuel tank!!

Scratch this idea as coast rider points out below, can't get there from here though a better idea would be to remove it for safety's sake.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Watch the shaft possibly hanging up of the bushing between the frame, swingarm as you apply force.

Figuring a lot of corrosion between the shaft and the engine case bosses has you bound up, wonder if tilting the bike to either side for several hours and the use of PB Blaster or your favorite chemicals might help some?

If that does not give relief, then some heat on the back of the engine where the shaft passes, careful with the fuel tank though a better idea would be to remove it for safety's sake.
Umm. Dont you have to remove swingarm to remove tank?

·
Noel
4,579 Posts
:banghead: minor details............. :chair:

Yup, spoke before I looked at the service manual, section 4.3, page 4-8 fuel tank removal step 7 "Remove rear wheel and rear fork......see 2.24 rear wheel and 2.35 rear fork."

So, back to the issue at hand, does the shaft rotate at all?
If so then it's not frozen to the engine case, though could be ridges of corrosion you need to work the shaft back & forth.
Tip the bike ~45 degrees left and right to allow the penetrating oil to work in where you think it's frozen
Maybe it's just hung up on the bearings or spacers within and adjacent to the rear fork, hoping the PB blaster can break through it!!
Cut the old fork off just ahead of the cross member.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Well I guess the threads on the shaft are done for. I was gonna suggest to use two hammers. Ball peen on one end. And use a heavy hammer and hit it. Put ball peen on shaft. This works really well on stubborn king pins.Wear safety glasses

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,929 Posts
you need to support the motor. take the weight off it.
If you can turn the shaft it will come out.

·
Noel
4,579 Posts
you need to support the motor. take the weight off it.
If you can turn the shaft it will come out.
Definitely need support the engine, he might still need to wiggle the frame & swing arm while gently persuading the shaft through, I know that I often fight getting the shaft to go into place with the engine, frame and swingarm all dangling about.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Holy crap I’ve never encountered a problem so frustrating as the swing arm pivot shaft. So a few years ago I went through this on my R. Suffice to say the pivot shaft had corroded and seized. it didn’t inhibit the function of the swing arm but removing was the single hardest task I’ve ever had to do.

Finally after 2-days of beating on it with a hammer, me and my old man decided to switch to a hand held pneumatic hammer (Craftsman, lots of force).

Another 4-6 hours of hammering, 2 pnumatic hammer tips, and a full bottle of PB blaster later, we finally popped that bolt out. We were measuring movement in mm per hour the progress was so slow.

As soon as that shaft popped free I grabbed my camera and took one of my favorite picture of my old man.

Also the shaft was toast, but I still use it as a larger driver to this day.

I do not envy what is in store for you.

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
I had the same problem back in 2007. After beating the [email protected] out of it and screwing up the threads I had to leave town for a job. When I got back I tried again and it came out fairly easily. To this day I haven't figured out what I did differently. I do remember that a member here out of Lexington, KY provided me with a replacement shaft so me [email protected] up trying to do my own work didn't cost me anything. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry didn't get back to responding to the post.

I managed to get it out. it was quite corroded took the weight off the pivot by jacking up the motor then bashing the f out of it eventually came out... to say the least ive got it a new swing arm pivot 😅

·
Registered
77 Posts
This brought back memories of last summer when installed mid controls (requires swing arm bolt removal). Before starting I read a few posts similar to this and was scared shltless to have to do this. I readied myself for battle, pulled the nut, gave one hit and the bolt slid halfway out and I pull it out with two fingers the rest of the way! Sorry you didnt have the same experience but for all others keep the faith that it will slide right out.

Also do yourself a favor and use something (even a wooden dowel) to push the bolt out (once its moving). The spacers won't shift as you follow the bolt pushing with the choice of tool. Putting it back in I just lined up the bolt with the pipe I used and it slid right back into place. Easy,peasey. The key is having the rear wheel just touching the ground on a jack and separately jacking the engine under the pan with a block of wood. You're just taking some of the weight off so no damage will happen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts