Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,
First I'd like to introduce myself. This is my first post but I've been coming here for months - even before I registered. I love the site and love the pics in the gallery of all your bikes.

I want to buy a night rod special this spring. And like most Harley enthusiasts I'm already planning a little customization before I even get the bike :)

I love everything about the DX except for the red on the airbox, the orange on the wheels (and the slotted wheels themselves), and the side cover. I want to change those parts with those of the muscle. I believe the frames are the same as well as the wheel sizes. Am I wrong?

Why dont' I just get a muscle? Well I like that the dx has more blacked out parts. I actually prefer the fender of the dx and I like the cowl.

I looked into buying custom parts. But my god, it's very expensive. I figured this way I could sell my parts on Ebay and hopefully by the ones from the muscle for almost the same price. Or I can even trade from some one willing.

What do you think? Is it doable?

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi guys,
First I'd like to introduce myself. This is my first post but I've been coming here for months - even before I registered. I love the site and love the pics in the gallery of all your bikes.

I want to buy a night rod special this spring. And like most Harley enthusiasts I'm already planning a little customization before I even get the bike :)

I love everything about the DX except for the red on the airbox, the orange on the wheels (and the slotted wheels themselves), and the side cover. I want to change those parts with those of the muscle. I believe the frames are the same as well as the wheel sizes. Am I wrong?

Why dont' I just get a muscle? Well I like that the dx has more blacked out parts. I actually prefer the fender of the dx and I like the cowl.

I looked into buying custom parts. But my god, it's very expensive. I figured this way I could sell my parts on Ebay and hopefully by the ones from the muscle for almost the same price. Or I can even trade from some one willing.

What do you think? Is it doable?
Welcome. I know the wheels are do able. a lot of people have done it. I am actually doing this myself. I just bought a night rod special 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on your new bike. Have lots of fun riding.
Thanks for the info on the wheels. I'm definitely gonna do it then. So now I'm just wondering about the air box and side cover.

Hey when you do the wheels how about posting a pic?

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Muscle wheels

Hi and welcome to the forum! I have done the wheel swap as have many members here. I got the wheels for around $900 through Ebay. You can go through the dealer too, but do some price searching first so they don't overcharge you. Chicagoharley or Zanotti should have the best prices. The only thing you have to account for are the wheel spacers and bearings, I don't have the exacts on what part # you need. Other than that everything else is a cinch for fitment. I threw on a metzler 260 tire as I was doing the swap. Do a search on the DX forum for "muscle wheels" and you can see some pictures. I'm deployed and can't post anything right now

Nick

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! I have done the wheel swap as have many members here. I got the wheels for around $900 through Ebay. You can go through the dealer too, but do some price searching first so they don't overcharge you. Chicagoharley or Zanotti should have the best prices. The only thing you have to account for are the wheel spacers and bearings, I don't have the exacts on what part # you need. Other than that everything else is a cinch for fitment. I threw on a metzler 260 tire as I was doing the swap. Do a search on the DX forum for "muscle wheels" and you can see some pictures. I'm deployed and can't post anything right now

Nick
Welcome! The muscle air box and side covers will fit with no issues.

·
Banned
837 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I am presently in the process of mounting an 09 Muscle air box cover on an 07 DX.
There is one issue in that the top corners of the triple trees have only about 3/16th clearance from the box front scoop mount and -1/16 with scoops on. Every time you corner all the way left or right or when parked, you are going to be hitting the airbox. The TT and forks are diff on the muscle.
You also have to jam down your coolant hose and wiring harness at the rear of the box in order to secure the airbox with the twist-pin.
It looks good though and the stock DX seat still fits in perfect.
I also have a brand new muscle rear fender I was going to install but changed my mind and opted for an MV Augusta F1000 Tail unit.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Welcome. All that stuff swaps back and forth. Joe

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Welcome to the forum and welcome to that deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep sippy hole called modifications, once your in, it has no bottom and it gets very expensive :)...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL @ Tbones. I see what you mean.

Thanks guys for all the info and the welcomes. Nick another member also mentiones $900 for the muscle wheels but from his local Harley dealer. So this really helps in looking around for prices.

G4CE regarding the airbox and side cover. I dont want to be running into issues. Maybe I'll just have the airbox repainted all black and have them do the bar and shield on both sides in white, silver, or gray. And also paint the side cover black. Do you have a pic to share? I didn't see it in the gallery. I did see several members with the muscle wheels on the dx. I really like how it looks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wheels

I have an 08 night rod special with ABS, i am looking at doing the musclke conversion with in a few weeks. I am trying to shop aroudnd for the best prices. Does anyone have a parts list i will need and has this been done on a VRSCDX with ABS?

Any advice is of great help

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nick, When you slapped the tires on how did you do the wheel weights? And what where they. I too hav ethe metzler 260 and the metzler front.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Yes, you can do ABS with F wheels. Let me see if I can post the parts list. Joe

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Post up if this opens properly. I have week old price quotes in there - post up if you find them cheaper! Joe

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
wheel weights

Nick, When you slapped the tires on how did you do the wheel weights? And what where they. I too hav ethe metzler 260 and the metzler front.

I had the tires mounted/balanced at a shop, they used doubled sided tape and small weights. there are placed on the non painted part of the rim.

·
& Buell S1
78 Posts
I also have a brand new muscle rear fender I was going to install but changed my mind and opted for an MV Augusta F1000 Tail unit.
Being the owner of a DX and MV F4, I'm interested in seeing pics of that marriage.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Jams,
The bearings are for abs or non?
Well with the wheel installation kit for 08 and later the front is p/n 41454-08B and rear is p/n 41453-08C. The kit includes bearings and spacers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts