Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Kerby
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a screw stuck in my tire last weekend. Went to take the bike to work and the rear tire was flat... I figure I will just have to throw a 260 on it now. I only have 1000 miles on the tire! From what I read in the forums, I don't think I want to risk repairing it. I ordered my 260 tonight and started taking a look at the bike...

Can someone give me a hand with getting the rear tire off... Couple of questions
1. What size wrench will I need for the rear axle nut... (is it 36 MM)
2. Did you guys have to remove your exhaust in order to get the Axel nut off. There does not look like much room to get a wrench (or a torque wrench for that matter) around the nut. How did you guys do it?
3. Did you run into any problems getting the axel out... again... will I have to remove my exhaust... It sounds like a lot of gus are having to smack the crap out of the axel to get it out...

Sorry for my ignorance on this... I just don't want to make this an all day project... I figure I should get a handle on the steps while I am waiting for my new tire to come. Any help you can offer would be great.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Same thing happened to me a Myrtle Beach Bike Week..... I was out of town so the Metz vendor took care of it for me!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Crankmaster said:
I just don't want to make this an all day project...

Exactly why I had a shop do it for me.

Who is removing/installing the tire itself? The paint on the wheel is very easily scratched, make sure its masked off or protected somehow.

·
Riding to Valhall
166 Posts
Can only agree with PHXDX, with all the work getting the wheel off, swapping the tire, and then getting the whole shebang on again isn't it just worth getting a shop to do it for you? It doesn't cost a lot and you can just sit back and have a :coff: while you wait.

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
Crankmaster said:
I got quoted about $150 to change the tire... (labor only)
That's insane. I could only see a place charging something like that if you didn't buy the tire through them. Just about every dealership up here will install the tire for free if you purchase it from them.

·
Kerby
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I thought. They told me $170 for a new 240 and $150 for labor. They didn't have any 260s so I ordered one last night. Maybe I will have to call around.

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
Crankmaster said:
That's what I thought. They told me $170 for a new 240 and $150 for labor. They didn't have any 260s so I ordered one last night. Maybe I will have to call around.
Definitely. It shouldn't take but 1 hour to change out the tire. The HD dealer up here has a rate of $37.50 per hour. Even then, thats half as much as it should cost.

·
Heath
389 Posts
Typically, you do not have to remove your exhaust to get the axle nut off...unless the axle has seized up (like lots of ours have when MoCo forgot to use an anti-seize).
If you are not 100% sure what you're doing and have already tried pulling the axle out, I'd suggest removing the rear section of exhaust to make sure you don't tear it up while using the BFH to force the seized axle out. :mrgr:

*inserted* Keep in mind that when the dealer changed my rear, it was seized so bad that it took them 6 (yes, i said 6) hours to get the friggin axle out!!

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
Crankmaster said:
I was told they charge about $75 an hour...
Sorry, I meant 37.50 per half hour. So yes, you're right, but 2 hours is quite excessive to swap out and balance a tire.

·
Kerby
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I called back and got another quote for $75 to swap the tire. I found a 260 tire online for $215... So, I may end up just having the dealer do this (I need to get the bike in for its 1000 mile check up anyways.

·
I see dead people
1,045 Posts
I swapped out th 260 myself. No big deal. The only tip is that it is smart to remove the rear rotor to remove the tire. When you put the new one on, put the tire in first then remount the rotor. Take the rotor with you to have the tire balanced. No biggie.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Keep in mind that most dealers probably wont put the 260 on for various reasons. The added the cost comes from thetime involved in prepping the tire/wheel for removal and install. You just cant throw these DX wheels on the machine and rip the old tire off.

There have been a few people in here who have had there wheels scratched by inexperienced mech's (even HD dealership techs). Now guess what? You wont be comped for the wheel. They will order a new one, which means another trip back to the dealership with another 2HR wait.

Id rather pay the $150 and get it done right, oh yea, I already did.

·
I see dead people
1,045 Posts
The tassel shoed tort weasels (lawyers) have every dealer scared to death about the "L" word! No not lesbian, I'm talkin LIABILITY. My dealer won't put a 260 on your bike or any tire bigger than stock. ON YOUR BIKE. Now bring that tire in and they will mount it on your stock rim for YOU to mount tho. Go figure.

·
Kerby
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I called the Dealer today they didn't seem too stressed out about putting the 260 on... I told them I would be bringing in the tire and asked if they would have a problem putting it on the bike. He said it was no big deal. Now I gotta wait for the tire to come in!

·
REGUL8
891 Posts
Plugged tire

I rode 3000 miles on a plugged tire on my Deuce. no big deal. Front plug... not a good idea.

JW

·
I see dead people
1,045 Posts
We all know that dealer benevolence varys from dealer to dealer. It never hurts to check around and see who would be willing to do what.

·
knit whit
1,413 Posts
gunnysgt said:
We all know that dealer benevolence varys from dealer to dealer. It never hurts to check around and see who would be willing to do what.
:them: Also I was a dealer in Charlotte and they changed out my first tire and said it was a 3 hour job. Went to a local dealer here in Nashville and they installed my 260 and charged 1 hour.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts