Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Departed the Fix.
5,222 Posts
Nice. Both Rick's and UE were out of production last I heard. Nice to see that at least one of them is back.

I liked Rick's a little bit better than the UE, but that was mostly personal preference when I was researching them.

I did the swap on my buddy's A. BEST thing he's ever done to the bike-- now he doesn't have to pull over at every single gas station we pass when we ride together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice. Both Rick's and UE were out of production last I heard. Nice to see that at least one of them is back.

I liked Rick's a little bit better than the UE, but that was mostly personal preference when I was researching them.

I did the swap on my buddy's A. BEST thing he's ever done to the bike-- now he doesn't have to pull over at every single gas station we pass when we ride together.
How hard was it to swap out?

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
I did both my '02 & '05 with the Rick's tanks. It's not real hard, just a lot of work. Rear tire comes off, Swing Arm off, pull old tank out, cut bottom skid plate and put the new one in. Put everything back together. That would be the short list of the things to do. Could be done in a few hours. The real hard part is to find one of those 5 gallon tanks.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,222 Posts
Also, you need a tool to take the top of the tank off-- you can buy the stupidly expensive one, or you can make one out of a coffee can. There used to be diagrams on the forum, but its been so long, I don't know if they're here.

Worst case, you can template a coffee can and figure it out-- a little dremel work, and you're good to go.

the actual job is about a day-- taking your time and doing it right. As stated above, you essentially cut the bike in half at the swingarm (pull the swingarm bolt-- have fun with that!), remove the guts of the old tank, slide the old tank out, do some minor fab work with a cutting wheel, some riveting, install the new tank, and then put everything back together. At least that's how it worked for the Rick's. The UE might be a bit different, but not by much.

R.

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts

·
Agave Idiots :)
337 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did my '03 in a day. I purchased the UE tank from AAron @ GR Customs. He even had the wrench u could use for shipping it back and forth and 10bucks...It came with instructions that were perfectly easy to read and understand. The hardest thing to do is melt the splash guard inside the rear fender, but I got it to fit just fine. The biggest problem I had was getting the fuel guage to come back to life, but I also had my guage refreshed by Eyezon and I was told that it was just a VRod issue?? Whatever that means? I plan on trying the reset that I just read about. The nicest part of the UE Super Tank is the ignition switch relocation. It looks and works like factory!! Good luck bro and text me at 903-480-2863 if you have any questions. I could send you pics of the instructions if you need them....I am a Retired AF Jet engine mechanic and had ZERO PROBLEMS with the installation other than the guage...

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone changed their stock gas tank from a 2003 to the newer 5 gallon tank, and if so is there modifications needed?
I swapped my original 3.5 for a 5 gal tank just after buying the used bike. I had a bike shop do the switch as the job requires removing the rear wheel/tire and a lot of other work, to include a new heat shield. If you have a hoist and some experience you might be able to tackle it on your own, but not me. Glad I made the swap even though the fuel gauge isn't accurate any more (read less than what you really have).

·
Departed the Fix.
5,222 Posts
Hoist not needed-- just a lift.

As I recall, the gauge will look like it's not moving for a long while (due to the different tank size), but as the fuel level goes down, the gauge becomes accurate again for the last quarter (?) or so of fuel.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Just sold the '03 Anniversary edition I had for sale this morning. -I hated to see it go, would have loved to junk the solids and install the '12 5 split spoke wheels but hey I can always buy one done up later with the larger tank too - it is the best looking V Rod on the planet MIA !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.