Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just learning about V Rods. One thing mentioned again and again is the factory suspension is marginal. Too soft, poor dampening, etc. Do other members of this forum mind sharing their upgrades? I am not planning to ride much above the speed limits. My cousin is the County Sheriff where I live and I have to keep the family name clean.

Thank you,

Bill.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome also new here but you came to the right place great forum.

I have a 2007 VRSCD Night Rod and I changed mine to Progressive 412's Heavy Duty (I'm 5 ' 8'' about 197 LB's) and keep them set on number 4. That seems to work well with just me or when I'm loaded down for a trip. The "Progressive 412's Heavy Duty" are probably the best bang for the buck and the ride was great on a 5,000 mile trip I just finished.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have Ricor intiminators in my front forks and Ricor made to order Shocks on rear.
Bike rides smoother, front end brake dive and hard cornering compression greatly reduced, making for a better handling ride. I also noticed the annoying road imperfection feedback or jolts, that normally transfers through the handlebars was also greatly reduced. Thus causing less fatigue in my hands on long trips. Anyone that rode I 40 through Arizona knows what I'm talking about.

Reactions: William Draper

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I have a 2007 VRSCD Night Rod and I changed mine to Progressive 412's Heavy Duty (I'm 5 ' 8'' about 197 LB's) and keep them set on number 4. That seems to work well with just me or when I'm loaded down for a trip. The "Progressive 412's Heavy Duty" are probably the best bang for the buck and the ride was great on a 5,000 mile trip I just finished.
Thank you, just what I need to know.
Bill.
I have Ricor intiminators in my front forks and Ricor made to order Shocks on rear.
Bike rides smoother, front end brake dive and hard cornering compression greatly reduced, making for a better handling ride. I also noticed the annoying road imperfection feedback or jolts, that normally transfers through the handlebars was also greatly reduced. Thus causing less fatigue in my hands on long trips. Anyone that rode I 40 through Arizona knows what I'm talking about.
Thank you.
Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thank You,
Bill.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I also went with cartridges in the forks, but by Traxxson, and RaceTech shocks in the rear. Not a Sportbike by any stretch of the imagination, but totally different ride now.

·
VRSC est -03
3,058 Posts
I also went with cartridges in the forks, but by Traxxson, and RaceTech shocks in the rear. Not a Sportbike by any stretch of the imagination, but totally different ride now.
Interesting set up! (y)
Running Øhlins shocks at the rear end on the "R", would do it again.

Reactions: Music City VROD

·
Vboz
52 Posts
I used Worx Performance kit in the front with a cross brace and their rears - transformed the bikes ride and handling. That was a while back I know they're still in business

·
Registered
3 Posts

I'm just learning about V Rods. One thing mentioned again and again is the factory suspension is marginal. Too soft, poor dampening, etc. Do other members of this forum mind sharing their upgrades? I am not planning to ride much above the speed limits. My cousin is the County Sheriff where I live and I have to keep the family name clean.

Thank you,

Bill.
Hi Bill!
Like Beast, I suggest Progressive 412 Heavy Duty. They’re a decent upgrade and provide a nice ride for a good price. Just make sure you get the right size for your specific bike.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,201 Posts
For an F (i.e. Muscle):

• Front: Traxxion Dynamics Axxion AK-20 fork cartridges.
  • Rear: Race Tech G3-S shocks, custom dual-IFP w/ adjustable rebound dampening.

Spendy, but oh, so worth it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Subject: 412-4055B Progressive 412 Heavy duty Black 13inch shocks.

i tried progressive 412 heavy duty shocks. absolute crap! (Im 120 Kgs,5 '11")

like riding with a rigid rear end. hard as F%#$. Sag, could only get 15mm. even on lowest setting.

Emailed progressive but as I'm in Australia, didn't get ANY help other than whats the part Number? (which was in the Heading)!

Took them to local suspension place, They pulled the springs off and found 2! (two) , 1/2 inch spacers above bump stop on EACH shock???

Removed the spacers but absolutely no difference to the shock. Same sag and still way to stiff. Hit any sort of pot hole, join, uneven surface and would end up off the seat.

rode around for 3 months trying to soften them up. HAHA. took them off before i end up in a wheelchair with a F%$#ed back.

Maybe i got a dud pair?? dont know but will never buy their products again, Ever!

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thank you,

Bill.
I installed the "Legend Revo-A's" What a difference. The ride is so smooth I look for bumps to ride through. It puts a smile on my face every time I hit a pot hole and don't feel anything. It actually rides smoother than my Lexus.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks the factory shocks are decent?
I just purchased set factory rear socks for my 2006.
I'm only 150lbs but I do ride for hours a day sometimes.
IDK works for me lol

·
Registered
980 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks the factory shocks are decent?
I just purchased set factory rear socks for my 2006.
I'm only 150lbs but I do ride for hours a day sometimes.
IDK works for me lol
I use to think that way too about the stock shock, until I installed a higher end shock. I was amazed at the difference and will never go back. But until you try it, you will never know the difference.
The 412's are the bottom of the barrel and cheapest progressive shock available from progressive that most just use for a low cost lowering option. You get what you pay for.
The higher end Progressive shocks are day and night difference from the 412's

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use to think that way too about the stock shock, until I installed a higher end shock. I was amazed at the difference and will never go back. But until you try it, you will never know the difference.
The 412's are the bottom of the barrel and cheapest progressive shock available from progressive that most just use for a low cost lowering option. You get what you pay for.
The higher end Progressive shocks are day and night difference from the 412's
Not going to disagree, but they were the only ones I could get in 5 days for my bike at the time. Everything else even the normal duty 412's were on back order or couldn't get here until the end of July. And I was leaving on a long road trip around June 14. So far they seem to ride fine, I did ride my friends Ultra Glide with Ohlin's it is a different bike but I like my ride much more then his. His were spine breakers on ever bump.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts