Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone here put a sport bike wheels and suspension on their vrod? im looking a wrecked one that needs fork work and i was wondering if i could just convert it over to some nice performance ones

thanks for any input

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Personally , i like the Buell wheel conversion . There's plenty of threads for Buell wheels .

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
ncvrodracer put zx10 wheels and brakes on his 05 vrscb looks great and prolly got 50-70lbs off the bike. let alone having all the different tires offered for sport bikes available.

·
Defender of Freedom
716 Posts
You can absolutely do it. You do need to remember though that if you have a wide tire model (240) and decide to go with sport bike wheels you will no longer have the option to run a 240. A 200 will be the widest tire you can run and it will have to be squeezed on a stock sport bike wheel, will wear unevenly and generally not perform well. If you're going the route of sport bike stuff on the V I would recommend going with a set of wheels off a 600cc bike and running a 180 rear tire since you'll have limitless tire options that way, or a 1000cc bike wheels if you want to run a 190 rear tire, again, limitless options. For the front end I have my own personal preferences. Buell will probably be the least hassle but if you want a better performing setup find a used front end off an R1 and use it. You can get the complete setup (fork legs, triple trees, brakes, etc) for a good price if you search ebay and CL. Then the front wheel can simply be a bolt on by using either an R6 or R1 front wheel. The rear will require you to either convert the sport bike wheel to accept the pulley or convert your front pulley to a sprocket. The sprocket conversion is simple enough and you can find a 21T front sprocket for a 530 chain. Don't convert to any lighter weight chains if you go that route like a 525 or 520 as they just won't hold up to the demands of the bike. If you do the chain drive conversion you'll again open up a world of possibilities with respect to gearing. As for the rear suspension if it were me I would be looking for something that's made for either a Hayabusa or ZX-14, as they are the heavyweights in the sport bike world and as such the suspension should be more suited to support the weight of the V Rod. Good luck and enjoy the mods.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can absolutely do it. You do need to remember though that if you have a wide tire model (240) and decide to go with sport bike wheels you will no longer have the option to run a 240. A 200 will be the widest tire you can run and it will have to be squeezed on a stock sport bike wheel, will wear unevenly and generally not perform well. If you're going the route of sport bike stuff on the V I would recommend going with a set of wheels off a 600cc bike and running a 180 rear tire since you'll have limitless tire options that way, or a 1000cc bike wheels if you want to run a 190 rear tire, again, limitless options. For the front end I have my own personal preferences. Buell will probably be the least hassle but if you want a better performing setup find a used front end off an R1 and use it. You can get the complete setup (fork legs, triple trees, brakes, etc) for a good price if you search ebay and CL. Then the front wheel can simply be a bolt on by using either an R6 or R1 front wheel. The rear will require you to either convert the sport bike wheel to accept the pulley or convert your front pulley to a sprocket. The sprocket conversion is simple enough and you can find a 21T front sprocket for a 530 chain. Don't convert to any lighter weight chains if you go that route like a 525 or 520 as they just won't hold up to the demands of the bike. If you do the chain drive conversion you'll again open up a world of possibilities with respect to gearing. As for the rear suspension if it were me I would be looking for something that's made for either a Hayabusa or ZX-14, as they are the heavyweights in the sport bike world and as such the suspension should be more suited to support the weight of the V Rod. Good luck and enjoy the mods.
Good write up but not quite true on the 240 tyre front. The Ducati Diavel uses a 240/45 R17 although I guess you might also need to use its wheels which might be an issue as it has a single sided swingarm. Looks good though.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,373 Posts
Good write up but not quite true on the 240 tyre front. The Ducati Diavel uses a 240/45 R17 although I guess you might also need to use its wheels which might be an issue as it has a single sided swingarm. Looks good though.
Since a tire is now available the custom market is generally not too far behind. Currently there are those specialty businesses like Kosman that can widen rims, and there are others in the specialty wheel business that will likely soon wheels to accept that tire for other more conventionally axled bikes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts