Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a V-5 on my 05 SE and am wondering if anyone has taken the baffle out to make it louder. Have 12 disks installed now and it iw way to quiet. Thanks.

·
The Hawk
3,852 Posts
Take off the end cap and it will be louder, but it will require some tuning on your system as it will change the flow characteristics.

Mike

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Im wondering also, ive heard the more discs the louder with this pipe though??

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
More disks will make it louder, but it is a pretty small difference incrementally. I have an open end cap with no disks (the disks don't do anything when the end cap is off), and no baffle packing, but the baffle is still in.

It is loud, but not silly and makes better power witht he cap off (or so the dyno says).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spoke to Supertrapp support this morning. They say to remove the closed end cap, stainless piece that is the last disk on my install. Then run the billet open end cap with 3-4 disks as the open end cap is equivalent to +/- 10 disks. Will try that tonight and see if it gets the sound I want and then off to the dyno for tuning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW waht a PIA this was. Tried to remove the disks on the V-5 pipe and the original installer must not have used anti-sieze. 4 of the 6 bolts broke off inside the muffler core. Now onto removing the broken bolts and tyring to fix it. Think it is time to move on to a new exhast as I did not like how low it sits anyone as it rubbed alot. Will be posting for a good used slipon shortly and no more supertrapp for me.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I cant get my pipe apart either cause the road scraped off my endcap bolt lol I am looking for the Reinhart 2-1 maybe....

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Use liquid wrench and vice grips to get the broken bolts out, soak them for 24 hours.

The V5 is a great pipe, but it is slung WAY low and will drag bad.

·
Billy
3,464 Posts
Use liquid wrench and vice grips to get the broken bolts out, soak them for 24 hours.

The V5 is a great pipe, but it is slung WAY low and will drag bad.
That's why I love my BSL pipe. It's essentially the same muffler but with their own head pipes so it sets higher. I am running the race baffle with a custom made open end cap and no discs. It produces great power with a good sound.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its fixed for now so that I can ride it. Took the core out and had to to remove the pressed in retainer nuts from inside the core with vice grips as the bolts were not coming out of them. Used new stainless bolts with washers and screws inside the end core so that I could secure the end cap and disks. Now to wait for it to be late enough to see how it sounds so that I do not piss my wife off cuz she thinks I will piss off the neighbors. Then decide what to replace it with.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I'd run it with 2-3 disks if youre using it open ended. Running it open will make a little more hp but it pushes the peak hp kinda high up the rpm band, torque also. Just remember you needs revs to get the power out of it, even more so than usual.

·
Hale=Yes
343 Posts
I took my Supper Trapp apart, removed the baffle and then disassembled an old Thunder Header, and removed its baffle. I cut and welded the Thunder Header baffle into the Super Trapp perforated tube, replaced the packing, threw away the SS plates and end cap, cut down the aluminum end cap in a lathe and reassembled it. The result is the best sound I've ever heard from a V Rod (a wee bit subjective, I agree). It has the low rumble I was looking for, but softened just a little by the huge Supper Trapp glass pack and Thunder Header baffle. It sounds nasty mean. It's loud, but not painful like a Vance & Hines Competition. If you keep the R's down, it won't piss off the neighbors as you pass by, more like make them envious! It flows freely, but still has enough back pressure that my Thunder Max ignition works perfectly. Ed...

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Supertrapp v5

Hey guys,
I have a 2003 Vrod and recently added the Supertrapp V5. I hate the sound with any discs so I took them all off and just have the open end cap. I still hate the sound with the packing. I had a TAB exhaust before and only got this exhaust because I added some custom bags from cyclevision and this is what they recommended so the bags would fit. My next step is to just remove all the packing and core and basically just have a straight pipe and then have a mechanic tune my TAB fuel manager. Has anyone done this and will this most likely give me my old sound back? and by doing this will it hurt the exhaust? I wasn't getting this exhaust to add power so I don't mind the old power I had before but would rather have my old sound back. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts