Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok..if the v-5 is run open without the end cap..what would the discs be needed for? the cap and discs work in tune with each other..the discs allow it to breathe with the closed cap. but if your running open, then why install the discs?:hidesbeh:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I don't have any dyno data to back this up, but there is NO WAY that an open end cap will need discs - the whole concept of the Supertrapp is tunable back pressure via the discs - more disks, less back pressure, less discs equals more back pressure, allowing you to tune the pipe to the motor and your preference for torque vs. HP.

When you open the end cap, all back presure is lost. It becomes just untuned loud pipe, discs or no discs.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's what i thought..but alot of the downloads on the forum..say 8 discs, 12 discs with open end cap..it was confusing, my guess was that it was just for looks..anyway, the riders that i know, that have them do not have the discs installed. they were just curious too.

·
Bad ride inside
510 Posts
I have discs but no end cap I think that if you use a semi open endcap or the closed one the discs would come into play they may make a slight sound difference due to lengthening but prob not

·
LIVE FULL THROTTLE
1,385 Posts
Just a Update.... my SE was tuned by Eagle with all disc,and end cap.... bike ran rich.....so took them off, everything, cap and all....bike ran leaner...110HP...just put cap and disc back on....feels stronger, but ran out of gas on run with Bob Stidham(vrodrjs)...won't hear the end of that....Bob also won 1st Place in Show at Springfield IL....I was 2nd...He was also 2nd Best of Show... V-rods where out this weekend...Bill

·
found my old avatar
1,200 Posts
I run open so no disks. They would be pointless as previously posted. I believe you can tune for max peak horsepower this way, but better midrange, therefore more often usable power, can be had with cap and whatever number of disks. Lots of discussion over the years on this point.

But, at least I can set off car alarms....

:angeldev:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts