Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be of help to those deciding on slip-ons. When I bought my '09 DX new in June 2010, the dealership had already installed SuperTrapp Fatshots on the bike along with a SE High Flow air filter and "D" handlebars. I had heard of SuperTrapp for years but had no experience with them. I talked by e-mail with SuperTrapp to gain as much info as I could. So basically, more discs equals more flow and sound volume. A very tunable muffler.
My tech at the dealership told me they had installed numerous sets on V-Rods and the stock 1250cc motors with the SE air filter seemed to run best with 12 discs while the stock 1130cc motors with SE air filter ran best with 10 discs. This is seat of the pants, not dyno. I rode my bike for 500 miles with 12 discs and liked the managable sound level and performance. Stay steady on the throttle and you could pass by a dozen police cars and not get a second look. Crack the throttle hard and they would bark.
At about 500 miles I ordered the open endcaps. Supertrapp said they were equivalent to 10-12 discs flow wise, but were a little louder and had a different tone. I installed them and really liked the sound, although the bark was louder, which was a plus and not a problem. I kept them on for another 500 miles until changing to the V&H at the 1000 mile service. All in all they are well made and you can tailor the sound level to your liking. I don't think you could add enough discs to make them as loud as the Bub 7 or V&H Comp, but they sound pretty decent (to me) for slip-ons, especially with the open endcaps.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts