Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I have a 2008 Vrscaw that I purchased with Tab slip ons and the pictured tuner. I am quite good with mechanics and electronics and have efi programming experience with aftermarket efi for cars. My questions regarding the tuner are, 1: is the software available for this tuner for the end user (or is it a dealer only thing) and if so how can I obtain the software to interface the tuner to a laptop. 2: the tuner has what looks to be a usb port and a serial port, im guessing the usb is to connect the laptop and the serial is to the bike - is that correct and is the serial cable unique and where is the connection made at the bike.
3: is there any guides out there for the diy person in relation to all this.

The tune on my bike is ok from a power point of view, the fuel economy is typical - what I want to do is try and iron out some of the jerkiness and uneveness in the 2,500 to just over 3,000 range - particularly at cruise and light throttle. Also I would like to see if I can ease off the decel popping a bit.

Is all this possible or am I better off emptying my wallett at a dealer and hoping for a good result.

Cheers from Australia.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi folks, I have a 2008 Vrscaw that I purchased with Tab slip ons and the pictured tuner. I am quite good with mechanics and electronics and have efi programming experience with aftermarket efi for cars. My questions regarding the tuner are, 1: is the software available for this tuner for the end user (or is it a dealer only thing) and if so how can I obtain the software to interface the tuner to a laptop. 2: the tuner has what looks to be a usb port and a serial port, im guessing the usb is to connect the laptop and the serial is to the bike - is that correct and is the serial cable unique and where is the connection made at the bike.
3: is there any guides out there for the diy person in relation to all this.

The tune on my bike is ok from a power point of view, the fuel economy is typical - what I want to do is try and iron out some of the jerkiness and uneveness in the 2,500 to just over 3,000 range - particularly at cruise and light throttle. Also I would like to see if I can ease off the decel popping a bit.

Is all this possible or am I better off emptying my wallett at a dealer and hoping for a good result.

Cheers from Australia.

The best way IMO using a super tuner is got the bike the way you want it pipes, air filter, cams ect then get it dyno tuned. Mine was around $350

·
The Hawk
3,772 Posts
You can do it yourself with the supertuner. You will need to get the cables and the software for starters. Does your 08 have O2 sensors? If so then you can get some wide band sensors and a data logger and get to tuning. I believe you can data log with the super tuner as you can with the older version SERT, but the SERT does not support 02 sensors since they weren't used back then. My 03 did not have 02 sensors so I had to weld in the sensor bungs and get a data logging system. I used the Daytona Twin Tech setup and it works very well. With data logging you can get your tune spot on for all the various rpm's and throttle settings and it you change a component you can simply retune without having to spend big bucks for a new dyno session.

Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

My 08 does have the factory 02 sensors. I have purchased the cables and downloaded the software etc. this weekend I am going to hook it up and just explore a bit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes you can

Its all connected, firmware and software updated, original map on VCI saved and just finished uploading "mileage and performance1" map. Now just have to wait till the rain disappears. All went smoothly.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got out for over an hour this arvo (after the rain cleared up) with my freshly updated bike. With SVfiat's " mileage and performance map 1" loaded I hit the road. As per my first post my main concern was the poor rideability at lowish speeds and rpm. Well all that seems to be a thing of the past! Immediately obvious that the bike was almost 100% smooth in that previously rotten rpm range between low 2000 and approx 3,200 rpm! It rarely misses a beat now and can be easily riden in city traffic smoothly now. I hit the hills and could open it wide up, runs smooth as silk to the redline (no noticeable power increase - but that was never my concern) and pulls like a train now from low rpm. I did a run I often do and previously would use 1/4 of a tank from full, and today was exactly the same - all good, im still going to get that 250 to 280 km from a near full tank.
Another area that is clearly different is the approx 90% drop in decel popping, the bike would crackle and pop like crazy before hand, now it still has a burble and rumble on decel - but much more civilised and less likely to attract unwanted attention.
So all in all im very happy with the map, thanks SV for that one and wrapped with my work at getting it all working and not having to fork out a fortune for a dyno that could have been a total waste of money. For what its worth I found the whole super tuner and software experience easy to setup and easy to use. Cheers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Guys, I have 09 with STP.
Has airbox cover delete, and V&H 2:1 pipes, pretty loud.

I made up a cable and have installed the program, and am looking to learn how to test/tune the ecu.
I tried the test run/self learning method, but IIRC the program said that the map loaded couldn't be adjusted or something...?

Looking for advice/assistance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Guys, I have 09 with STP.
Has airbox cover delete, and V&H 2:1 pipes, pretty loud.

I made up a cable and have installed the program, and am looking to learn how to test/tune the ecu.
I tried the test run/self learning method, but IIRC the program said that the map loaded couldn't be adjusted or something...?

Looking for advice/assistance.
FYI I am also in Australia

1 - 11 of 11 Posts