Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best set up for this pipe. I'm buying one and from what I understand it has adjustable discs and end cap or something. I have an 04 with the S/E air filter and will get the brain remaped. I'm looking for the best overall curve. Nice smooth low, mid and upper rpm range. I don't want to be peaked in one area and then fall on its face in the other end of the rpm range.
Thanks for the help.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
If memory serves me Kaz tuned his for performance only and had all the plates installed on his.

Max

·
Pat's Fan
363 Posts
Thats funny........i was thinking just the opposite......all off. (your prob correct though) Guess we will have to wait for Kaz to chime in!

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
From what I've heard it's all the plates without the end plug. I suspect that's for maximum HP at WOT which is where Kaz rides 99% of the time :) For the street I'd think all the plates and the end cap plug would be a good noise / performance compromise.

Note: on a trapp, using all the plates makes it a more open exhaust. Kind of counter intuitive until you see that the more plates the more openings. Using no plates or end cap makes it a completely open exhaust, usually not the best performance since the bike needs a little backpressure.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Run it open, with all 12 discs,Amount of discs won't affect power.That's how I got mine.Not load at all.It keeps your wheel cleaner also,blows out the back w/open cap,with the cover it blows out right the side.
Chopper steve has a map for the pcIIIr,k&n,and topless combo.It's a starting point for driving before you get it dynoed.
I would go with the HD race tuner.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
I'm sorry I run 12 discs just because.I'm not telling you to,my wording just su(ks.I gained power everywhere.They sound so cool.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input. Is the dealer the only place to get a remap?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
droptopcamaross I doubt your dealer would have a map for that setup unless you buy the Race Tuner and let them dyno it. The simple setup would be the PCRIII and the downloadable map that vrodvinny mentioned.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where do I get the PCRIII and how much is it? Do you need a laptop to do this? And does the download come with it?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
A laptop is handy but you can use any pc just have to move it or the bike. Downloads are available from several sources, you will even find some custom setups. This is there website that should give you more details.
http://www.powercommander.com/

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Sorry all I was at a SEMA Party at the HardRock last night!:diablo: As long as the end cap is off it makes no difference how many plates are used!No plates open cap is the Lightest setup!End cap on killed rwhp and rwtq.:cool:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I ran the Techlusion TFI if you call them and order Direct they should have the base setup for the Pipes, Topless!:fahr38

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So it don't matter how many (discs or plates) are in as long as the end cap is off? If thats the case what do the plates do just change the sound ? I don't want to lose power . I think it looks better without the cap anyway. Just need to get the rest of it right.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
The Disc are used when the caps is ON changing the Varying amounts of exhaust let out thus changing the power band!It's really more a Gimmick but they do work very well and sound Great open!:fahr38

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Know where I could download (buy or try) mt2 for different Supertrapp configurations? Or any other configuration beside Supertrapp?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So your saying no discs and open cap is the way to go. I hate to be a pain but I just do want to lose power or hurt the motor. When its open like that is there still a baffle or is it wide open like the sampsons?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts