Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although not normally fond of windshields on bikes, I've been considering a Super Sport 'shield from HD for my V-Rod. Anyone have one or ridden one with it on there. Just wondering if it has any effect lessening the wind on your torso or not. Or does it just take the wind off your chest and smack your head around with it?Is it easily removable if you want to ride without it?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I had one and for me all it did was deflect the air directly into my face. Sold it on eBay.

Max

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Seems to be the concensus on the Super Sport. It needs a "lip", I'm thinking.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've never had a wind screen before either but decided to try it with my Vrod. The Sport works pretty well for me, keeps the wind from blowing so hard against your chest. I don't have the problem with the wind buffeting in my face but at five foot nine it probably hits me differently than the rest of the guys.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have one.

Hanging in the shop.
I have the sport onorder from Chicago H-D.
I am doing as Frank_Storm said and just buying the shield part and scavenging the hardware from the SuperSport.
My suggestion is ,,, if you are taller than 5'11" then you must wear a helmet at speeds above 50ish. otherwise you get the brunt of the air right in the puss.
I would like to have had a shield like KAZ has or similar but everything he gets costs more than my house. So I am going to get the little one and have it etched someday and use the hardware from the ss . I think I will adapt the ss the somehow fit my lawnmower . At least it will keep the grass from my face.

OK, all I am saying is if you are sort of tall, don't waste your cash.
Buy the little one or do as some others do and get the detachable touring(not my preference though). Good luck,
BobT

·
Live Free or Die
938 Posts
The only two that work well are the Sport and the Touring screen

I got the SS with my V-Rod purchase, I knew within the first few miles that it was not going to work (I'm 5'10"). I turned around after 10 miles in a 40 mile ride to leave it at home. There have been many posts on this, I wish I had been a forum member before buying the SS.

The SS shield causes the air to turbulently slip over it with a lateral buffeting of air that blows past your ears. I could not hear the engine. When I removed the SS everything smoothed out. Yes, I did feel the chest pressure with no shield, especially at highway speeds.

I rode hundreds of smooth miles without ANY windscreen. Finding the Forum community got me back into experimenting with how to save the shield. One of the members here got his to be satisfactory by extending the ball rod length that attach to the handlebars. This stood the shield up more like a touring shield. He took 3/8" Tubing (I got mine at Home Depot), cut it to length and replaced the screw with a longer metric socket head cap screw.

The pic shows about a 1.4" extension. I ran out of metric screws longer then that. It definitely quieted the buffeting air across the helmet and ears, but I knew that if I had continued, it would have never quite eliminated the air spilling in from over the sides. I had unclipped the SS screen and held it more upright by hand while driving down a deserted country road.

I figure that at some point one probably ought to just get the touring screen. Meanwhile, many on this board were going thru the same turmoil. Most seemed to be migrating towards saving their hardware and ordering a Sport Wind Screen replacement-only part (HD # 57787-01). I got mine at Hale's HD, in-stock at ~$54 plus $3 shipping (Hale's is a mail order discounter).

I installed the Sport with the ball end rods as low to the handlebars as possible and it rides great. The airflow is smoothly directed off my chest. It feels like it is flowing over my shoulders, just below my helmet. The airflow around my helmet is as good as with no screen. My ears do not hear any loud air buffeting around the helmet. The Sport is excellent!!

I got caught in a warm drizzle last Sunday and was able to ride with my rain jacket un-zipped half way down (to allow for excellent ventilation) without any rain hitting my chest. The Sport screen does its job!

I hope some find that my saga saves them the weeks of experimentation that I went thru. I think that those who ride with the touring screen love it, those who ride with the Sport stay with it because it works, but few V-Rodders stick with their Super Sport Windscreen...

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
AMF
423 Posts
I use the SuperSport but only with a specific helmet. Now that the weather is turning colder I have switched to my anniversary helmet and it uses a full face screen that snaps on both lower sides of the helmet. It has a slightly larger visor and with this helmet I do not feel any of the buffeting that was there with my summer helmet. I ride with a 3/4 helmet style year round but the half screen vibrates badly from the buffeting.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
fugly. 'nough said.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I love French manicured Hands and Feet!:diablo: On my Women that is!I prefer Buffed and Clear on mine!;)

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
I have a the small WindVest shield on my Softail and it is the best mini windshield that I have ever used.

I have no experience with the WindVest on the V-Rod, but their products are well made and the fit & finish along with the hardware is all quality.

Maybe someone else can offer some first hand experience with it on a V-Rod.

I swear by it for long trips on the Softail... that and it is the cleanest looking shield out there. None of those ugly-ass 1922 straps going up down and across it. No big ugly-ass brackets coming off of the forks or trees... I like it, as much as I could possibly like a windshield. (can't stand the look of a windshield, but this one is rather subtle)

www.windvest.com

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'll add onto this thread..

Hi everyone, I just received a brand new 2003 Anniversary V-Rod which went directly into storage due to the snow. This is my very first street bike (I have raced motocross for 25yrs) so I am excited about getting it out when the weather warms up. Anyway, I have spent several days in the archives learning things but I do have a question on the windshield.
I read about everyone using the Sport windshield (part # 57787-01) with the Super Sport windshield mounting brackets but can I purchase just the SS brackets by themselves (P/N ?) or do I need to get the entire windshield kit to get the brackets? I’m hoping by now that somebody offers just the brackets for sale. Why do these brackets make such a difference do they flatten the windshield out more?

Regards
Kevin

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
Wind Vest is by far the best

I really like the Wind Vest on my V-rod!! You can see some photos on their web site: www.windvest.com Give em a look!
redrazor

·
Ted
1,629 Posts
Kevins,

I think most of us bought the SS and were disappointed. Daniii discovered that the mounting brackets from the SS will work with the sport shield. Some of us got the SS with the 100 year emblem and we mounted it on the sport. Thanks Dan.

Ted

1 - 20 of 23 Posts