Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The extensions are 2.5" long, 3/8 Stainless Steel, and have 6 mm threads in both ends. These will bolt up with the current mounting hardware. I am 6'2" and this mod is great for me. The windsheild directs the wind over my head and there is no vibration at high rates of speed.... 90+. The only thing I thought about doing was welding another 3/8 rod across from one support arm to the other. This would make windsheild a lot more stable, but after riding all day today it really doesn't need it.

later on

Attachments

·
skin changer
824 Posts
klopy said:
The extensions are 2.5" long, 3/8 Stainless Steel, and have 6 mm threads in both ends. These will bolt up with the current mounting hardware. I am 6'2" and this mod is great for me. The windsheild directs the wind over my head and there is no vibration at high rates of speed.... 90+. The only thing I thought about doing was welding another 3/8 rod across from one support arm to the other. This would make windsheild a lot more stable, but after riding all day today it really doesn't need it.

later on

Klopy,
Do you have 2 extra sets--1 for Val and 1 for me ???
Did you custom make them or can I buy them somewhere??
I'm 6' and I need them also.

Thank you
White Ghost

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
0992 said:
Klopy,
Do you have 2 extra sets--1 for Val and 1 for me ???
Did you custom make them or can I buy them somewhere??
I'm 6' and I need them also.

Thank you
White Ghost
I custom made mine but if you know any tool shop they can make them.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
I tried to have some made last fall at the bicycle shop and he wanted to charge me about $50 for them!!

·
skin changer
824 Posts
klopy said:
I custom made mine but if you know any tool shop they can make them.
Thank you Klopy,
I do know a machine shop that just might be able to do it and I think you have all the information posted that I need. I'll check it out.
Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Val said:
I tried to have some made last fall at the bicycle shop and he wanted to charge me about $50 for them!!

Another way to try and do it is buy some stainless tube, 3/8" OD, and then get a 3" long 6 mm bolt. That will work also.

·
skin changer
824 Posts
Klopy & Val,
Look what I had a machine shop do for me...what do you think Klopy...I have to wait till the rain stops to try them out...I sure hope they work for me like they do for you.
If this works..it will make allot of owners happy. I have not gotten my bill yet but I'm more concerned about them working or not. I had them made out of stainless steel like you suggested.

Attachments

·
skin changer
824 Posts
Additional windshield mod information.

I have installed my extensions and put 10 miles on my bike. The top of the windshield is moved out with these installed. They seem sturdy (stainless steel) and the windshield looks good tilted straighter.
My problem was between 50-70 mph range (I don't often get over 70) I had allot of head buffering. I just put 10 miles on this evening (it's cold..but I couldn't wait to try them) and I have decided that my windshield is staying on my bike and not getting sold on Ebay.
I felt enough of difference to actually start liking my 100 ann. windshield (same as super sport windshield).
I'll know more after a longer ride (which might not happen for awhile looking at the weather forecasts), but I'm satisfied that it made enough of a difference to keep me happy at 60 mph. I have not been over 70 mph with them on yet but they seem stable.
I got my bill on the way home from work and it was $68.00. It sounded a little high but I feel it took my unuseable windshield and made it useable and it is stainless steel and I had them within 2 days...so I'm happy.
I'll enclose some pictures to give you an idea as to what my bike looks like now that I have installed them.
Would I do it again...yes, and without hesitation....unless a 150 mile run on a nice day would change my mind..but I don't think so.

If anyone out there would like a set you can contact the machine shop that did mine if you wish.
Wally Walmer 717-866-6656 or e-mail him at [email protected]. You just need to tell him that you want a set made like Lloyd's and he'll know what you mean.

I hope this helps some of you that have these windshields but didn't know what to do with them. Now they are more useable.

ONE NOTE OF CAUTION--DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE HANDLE BAR CLAMPS--I SNAPPED ONE OF MINE MOUNTING THESE AND IT COST $46. TO REPLACE IT.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
You know that really looks like the HD Mirror Extension Kit Chrome-plated extenders relocates mirrors approximately two inches higher. part #91907-87 Fits all models. (pair)

MSRP CDN $36.95

Has anyone tried to use this kit?

Michel

0992 said:
Klopy & Val,
Look what I had a machine shop do for me...what do you think Klopy...I have to wait till the rain stops to try them out...I sure hope they work for me like they do for you.
If this works..it will make allot of owners happy. I have not gotten my bill yet but I'm more concerned about them working or not. I had them made out of stainless steel like you suggested.

·
skin changer
824 Posts
Michel,
I never knew there was such a thing as mirror risers. I have not tried them...maybe I should have..but I didn't know about them.
With my luck..the threads or diameter or strength probably would not have worked..but it's to late for me anyway.....maybe someone else wants to try them first before going to a machine shop and let the rest of us know if they fit or not.

Thanks for the heads up!

I could use some mirror extenders for my mirrors...not risers. Is there any like that out there before I try to make some of those the hard way?

·
Registered
80 Posts
It looks like if you want them to be extended you will have to go with something like the Duryakyn Ellipse Mirror. I have as yet found a longer stem for the stock mirrows.

0992 said:
Michel,
I never knew there was such a thing as mirror risers. I have not tried them...maybe I should have..but I didn't know about them.
With my luck..the threads or diameter or strength probably would not have worked..but it's to late for me anyway.....maybe someone else wants to try them first before going to a machine shop and let the rest of us know if they fit or not.

Thanks for the heads up!

I could use some mirror extenders for my mirrors...not risers. Is there any like that out there before I try to make some of those the hard way?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
0992,that is exactly what I did. I hope the 150 mile ride is good for you.

Good luke

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks. This is great info. I had wondered why someone didn't simply make longer supports for the SS windshield so it could be raised to deflect the air better. I'm going to be checking out the Mirror Extension kit today to see if that will work for me. I also noticed that 0992 had his brackets oriented differently than mine (stock position), this may help in raising the windshield as well. Thanks for the pictures.

By the way, the H-D Traveling Museum is going to be at Bud's Harley-Davidson here in Evansville, IN today from 10 to 6. Hmmmm, let's see..... checking out the museum and buying a new part for the V-Rod - sounds like a great day to me!!!! And - its SPRING!!!!!
:cheers:

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you want these extensions, try your local vocational / technical school. The one in my area will make you stuff (The students do the work as part of their learning) for material cost, or free for small things like those.

·
Registered
439 Posts
0992 said:
Additional windshield mod information.

I have installed my extensions and put 10 miles on my bike. The top of the windshield is moved out with these installed. They seem sturdy (stainless steel) and the windshield looks good tilted straighter.
My problem was between 50-70 mph range (I don't often get over 70) I had allot of head buffering. I just put 10 miles on this evening (it's cold..but I couldn't wait to try them) and I have decided that my windshield is staying on my bike and not getting sold on Ebay.
I felt enough of difference to actually start liking my 100 ann. windshield (same as super sport windshield).
I'll know more after a longer ride (which might not happen for awhile looking at the weather forecasts), but I'm satisfied that it made enough of a difference to keep me happy at 60 mph. I have not been over 70 mph with them on yet but they seem stable.
I got my bill on the way home from work and it was $68.00. It sounded a little high but I feel it took my unuseable windshield and made it useable and it is stainless steel and I had them within 2 days...so I'm happy.
I'll enclose some pictures to give you an idea as to what my bike looks like now that I have installed them.
Would I do it again...yes, and without hesitation....unless a 150 mile run on a nice day would change my mind..but I don't think so.

If anyone out there would like a set you can contact the machine shop that did mine if you wish.
Wally Walmer 717-866-6656 or e-mail him at [email protected]. You just need to tell him that you want a set made like Lloyd's and he'll know what you mean.

I hope this helps some of you that have these windshields but didn't know what to do with them. Now they are more useable.

ONE NOTE OF CAUTION--DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE HANDLE BAR CLAMPS--I SNAPPED ONE OF MINE MOUNTING THESE AND IT COST $46. TO REPLACE IT.
It looks very good. I did something similiar but by purchasing longer screws and metal sleeves. But your version looks 10 time better. I just purchased the windvest windshiel and will test it this weekend. If it is worse than the super sport, I will purchase your version of this mod. Thanks for the info!

·
skin changer
824 Posts
VROD AL said:
It looks very good. I did something similiar but by purchasing longer screws and metal sleeves. But your version looks 10 time better. I just purchased the windvest windshiel and will test it this weekend. If it is worse than the super sport, I will purchase your version of this mod. Thanks for the info!
Al,
Please let me know which windshield you like the best and why after you try your new one.
Thanks!

·
Registered
472 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts