Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a bunch of these coming up for sale why is this are they not comfortable and what are they going to hopefully not back to stock....

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
They're much better than stock but the ergonomics of the Vrod's seem to be tied critically to the riders size. I liked the Sundowner I have till I sat on a Tall Boy seat and found it to be much more to my liking. I'm 6-5 and very large framed. Normal sized folks fit the Sundowner pretty well. The Sundowner works for a while but once it starts hurting it's all over.

I can't find a Tallboy seat for sale so I'm going to try a seat pad like a Buttbuffer or Airhawk to see if that helps.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Jim's right, depends on your size as I seem to remember they raise and push you forward about an inch. The one I had was very comfortable but it looked butt ugly.

·
Registered
645 Posts
It is a high buck item that is easy to remove when you sell or trade in your bike. Plus they are desirable and easy to sell.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I see a bunch of these coming up for sale why is this are they not comfortable and what are they going to hopefully not back to stock....
These seats are very comfortable. I rode my 07 vrscaw with the stock seat for a while and found my butt was always sore. Bought the sundowner seat and pillion. My first long trip with it was 600 miles continuous riding. The only thing on me that ached were my knees from the cool wind. If you search the net you can find them at a good price. Highly recommended!

·
** Place ad here **
1,460 Posts
Just looked up Chicago HD for the 07-up wide frame...

51778-07 $143.96 (Seat)
51780-07 $79.96 (Pillion)

Discounted Sub-Total: $223.92

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I've been thinking of changing to the Sundowner based on all the good feedback. Does the Sundowner material look a lot different from stock? From the pics it looks more smooth than stock. Don't really want to change the passenger pillion unless it looks noticeably different.

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
The one I had was not smooth. I sold it because it didn't fit the look I wanted and I rarely ride 2 up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
They're much better than stock but the ergonomics of the Vrod's seem to be tied critically to the riders size. I liked the Sundowner I have till I sat on a Tall Boy seat and found it to be much more to my liking. I'm 6-5 and very large framed. Normal sized folks fit the Sundowner pretty well. The Sundowner works for a while but once it starts hurting it's all over.

I can't find a Tallboy seat for sale so I'm going to try a seat pad like a Buttbuffer or Airhawk to see if that helps.
Hi Jim,

I had much the same problem as you but found a solution you might like to try. 1st I bought a Bikers Friend Bag size Medium-Large, this took care of my lower back getting sore on long hauls then I had my Sundowner re-worked at a local re-upholstery shop with Hi density foam padding with 3 different layers of density. really made a difference for me. Cant say enough about the Bikers Friend bag great back support and storage to-boot. www.bikersfriend.com

PS Found my bag on Ebay but they are far and few in-between, you can place a saved search on ebay and be notified when one comes up for bid.

Rabbi

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hi Jim,

I had much the same problem as you but found a solution you might like to try. 1st I bought a Bikers Friend Bag size Medium-Large, this took care of my lower back getting sore on long hauls then I had my Sundowner re-worked at a local re-upholstery shop with Hi density foam padding with 3 different layers of density. really made a difference for me. Cant say enough about the Bikers Friend bag great back support and storage to-boot. www.bikersfriend.com

PS Found my bag on Ebay but they are far and few in-between, you can place a saved search on ebay and be notified when one comes up for bid.

Rabbi
Thanks!

I'm not having problems with my back, it's my butt. After a while in the sundowner I can feel the rear fender pressing into my tail bone, that's the issue I have with it. The Tallboy seat seems to raise me up so that affect seems to be minimal. I have a bag but I don't care to use it except when I need it for storage.

I just got a "Butt Buffer" seat pad that may help. I tried it on a short ride yesterday and it raises me up a bit and may work out OK. I hope to do a couple hundred miles today and see how it does then.

http://buttbuffer.com/

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks!

I'm not having problems with my back, it's my butt. After a while in the sundowner I can feel the rear fender pressing into my tail bone, that's the issue I have with it. The Tallboy seat seems to raise me up so that affect seems to be minimal. I have a bag but I don't care to use it except when I need it for storage.

I just got a "Butt Buffer" seat pad that may help. I tried it on a short ride yesterday and it raises me up a bit and may work out OK. I hope to do a couple hundred miles today and see how it does then.

http://buttbuffer.com/
Let us know how it works, and thanks for the link.

Here's hoping that your more cush for the tush works.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts