Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the Sundowner is available in different widths?? I've seen two widths on the HD website, one at around 15" & one at 13". The 13" version says its for '07 up (??), & works with the stock pillion. I'm trying to get into a more comfy seat while avoiding the Barko Lounger look. Thanks!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Nunzio said:
Anyone know if the Sundowner is available in different widths?? I've seen two widths on the HD website, one at around 15" & one at 13". The 13" version says its for '07 up (??), & works with the stock pillion. I'm trying to get into a more comfy seat while avoiding the Barko Lounger look. Thanks!!
I have just fitted a Sundowner to my VRSCSE2 - I think it is the 13" version - it looks better than I had thought it would so I am quite pleased - just waiting to get out and see if it's as comfortable as every one says! There are a couple of shots in my gallery that show the seat - better photo's in due course...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sundowner seat

Yup, that's what I'm talkin' about! Sweet ride, where did you get the seat and where was the 13" measured from?? Also what year is your E?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Leaving the Street Rod out of it, I'm pretty sure that there are only two Sundowner seats for the remaining models - those for the pre-07 bikes (narrow frame) and the 07s+ (wider rear frame section). Ironically, I think the seats for the wide frame are actually narrower seats, but as far as I know, if you have a 2006 or older bike, you do not get a choice of seat width - you get the 15.5"

The Sundowner for R's is the narrowest at 12.5"

·
Registered
286 Posts
Nunzio said:
Yup, that's what I'm talkin' about! Sweet ride, where did you get the seat and where was the 13" measured from?? Also what year is your E?
It's an 06 SE - When I ordered the Sundowner from my local Dealer the 13" was the only one listed for an 06 SE - I am guessing that the 15" is for 07 models onwards (the bigger/wider frame)....

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Skellum said:
It's an 06 SE - When I ordered the Sundowner from my local Dealer the 13" was the only one listed for an 06 SE - I am guessing that the 15" is for 07 models onwards (the bigger/wider frame)....
Do you have a part number for that? On the HD site, this is what they list:

*BTW - I have a Sundowner for my 06D - it's the 15.5 inch... looks good.

Sundowner™ Rider Seat and Pillion

Designed for the long haul, this touring seat continues in the comfort tradition of the popular Sundowner™ line. With rider control in mind, this seat has a deep contoured bucket that provides lower back support and keeps you comfortable longer. The wide passenger pillion bucket provides added passenger support as well. Seat width 15.5"; pillion width 12".

53432-02

Fits '02-'06 VRSCA, VRSCB and VRSCD models. Also fits '05-'06 VRSCSE
models. Requires use of Fender Base Plate or One-Piece Luggage Rack (sold separately).

Sundowner™ Rider Seat

With its wide and deep bucket shape, this Sundowner™ Rider Bucket Seat is designed to maximize rider comfort for the long haul. Styled to match the Original Equipment passenger pillion or the available Touring Passenger Pillion P/N 51780-07. This rider touring seat features a contoured bucket that provides additional lower back support. Seat width 13.0".

51778-07

Fits '07-later VRSC™ models (except VRSCR).
Requires use of Original Equipment Passenger Pillion or Touring Passenger Pillion P/N 51780-07.

Sundowner™ Rider Seat - VRSCR Models

With its wide and deep bucket shape, this Sundowner™ Rider Bucket Seat is designed to maximize rider comfort for the long haul. Styled to match the Original Equipment passenger pillion or the available Touring Passenger Pillion P/N 53036-05, this rider touring seat features a contoured bucket that provides additional lower back support. Seat width 12.5".

53030-05

Fits '06-'07 VRSCR models.
Requires use of Original Equipment passenger pillion or Touring Passenger Pillion P/N 53036-05 (sold separately).

·
Registered
286 Posts
Designed for the long haul, this touring seat continues in the comfort tradition of the popular Sundowner™ line. With rider control in mind, this seat has a deep contoured bucket that provides lower back support and keeps you comfortable longer. The wide passenger pillion bucket provides added passenger support as well. Seat width 15.5"; pillion width 12".

53432-02

This is the one I got - I see they say 15.5" not 13" could be - I haven't measured but definately same part number..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the insight. I'm trying to maintain a narrower profile, so I want the seat to have as little "overhang" as possible. Also, and perhaps more importantly, I'm using Boss Bags QD bags. From the way these attach to the upper shock mounts, I'm guessing that the wider seat edges would interfere with installation/removal of the bags. Anyone know what the interchangebility between the pre '07 & '07-on is?

Also anyone know of a source for bars a bit wider/higher? We want to try a little more steering leverage on our demo trike. Base bike is an '04 "A" model.

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Folks:
I went for my first LONG ride with the Sundowner on my 06 D yesterday and I hate to disappoint, but it just didn't do it for me. While it is definitely more comfy than the stock seat on the "D" it still does not answer all of my criteria. First of all, it lowers me between a half inch to just about an inch. This was never my problem or complaint about the stock seat. It also pushes me a little forward. I believe I will be going back to the stock "tufted and roll" seat and see if I can have it re worked somehow. I have to say, it's a bit disappointing. Keep your eyes open in the for sale ads. BTW, I placed 200 miles on it yesterday on some beautiful upstate NY country roads leading up to Green Wood Lake, NY.

·
Registered
11 Posts
seat question

Thanks for the info on the seat. I too have an 06 SE2 and I want to put a sundowner on it. Just wondering if part #53432-02, which is 15" wide, will still lower you and move you up a little....or should I go with part #51778-07, which is 13", but not specifically listed for the 06 se.
thanks

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
mainerod said:
Thanks for the info on the seat. I too have an 06 SE2 and I want to put a sundowner on it. Just wondering if part #53432-02, which is 15" wide, will still lower you and move you up a little....or should I go with part #51778-07, which is 13", but not specifically listed for the 06 se.
thanks

Maine:
I can't speak for part number 51778-07 but I can speak for the other. It's the one I own and I can definitely attest to the fact of what I mentioned above, it will lower you and move you forward a bit. Check out Zanotti's price and then think about mine, it'll be about $20-30 less.

·
Registered
20 Posts
great seat

switched to a sundowner last year on my 03. MUCH nicer seating for me...and made it feel like a different bike! cant understand why when you buy a $15k (+-) machine you have to spend more $$ for a seat that is actually comfortable. the moco should take a lesson from BMW on this one.

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
Frank come over and we'll pop mine on your bike and you can check it out, or call me and I'll buzz over.:stilpoke: :stilpoke: :stilpoke:

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
the stock seat was horrible on the DX. I bought the sundowner, although improved...still wasnt impressed. I took the stocker in and had 2 inches of dense foam put in didnt change the look at the seat at all.....there was plenty of pleather to cover.75 bucks. i can do about 90 miles til my ass complains to take a break now. I think ill toss a gel pad on top and see how that works. if i like it, another rework of the stock seat. I might do the same to the sundowner, but shave 1" -1"1/2 off the back and bring the sides in a tad.

But what i really want is the Willie G ya see in all the DX pics. after enough research i know id have to build my own.

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
JackWagoner said:
switched to a sundowner last year on my 03. MUCH nicer seating for me...and made it feel like a different bike! cant understand why when you buy a $15k (+-) machine you have to spend more $$ for a seat that is actually comfortable. the moco should take a lesson from BMW on this one.

Jack:
I couldn't agree with you more on the BMW seat thing. I cannot remember EVER having a rough day in the saddle with my beemer. And believe me, there have been days where I placed 300+ miles on it and no problems. It is REAL leather and has broken in to my asse's dimensions so maybe that's it?

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Yarvis said:
Folks:
I went for my first LONG ride with the Sundowner on my 06 D yesterday and I hate to disappoint, but it just didn't do it for me. While it is definitely more comfy than the stock seat on the "D" it still does not answer all of my criteria. First of all, it lowers me between a half inch to just about an inch. This was never my problem or complaint about the stock seat. It also pushes me a little forward. I believe I will be going back to the stock "tufted and roll" seat and see if I can have it re worked somehow. I have to say, it's a bit disappointing. Keep your eyes open in the for sale ads. BTW, I placed 200 miles on it yesterday on some beautiful upstate NY country roads leading up to Green Wood Lake, NY.
Stop by Brooklyn butt buffer http://www.brooklynbuttbuffer.com/ Had them do stocker/touring pillion. Wasn't happy at first but it's feelin better. I have a sundowner but was never happy with the looks or the forward and down rider position. I'm flip flopping on whether to run the stocker out to KC and see how it does. 1 thing in the Sundowners favor is my Gran Tour pack sits on the pass pillion and isn't in the way for fill ups with it. The stocker may not work out as well.
Ed

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Z16monte said:
Stop by Brooklyn butt buffer http://www.brooklynbuttbuffer.com/ Had them do stocker/touring pillion. Wasn't happy at first but it's feelin better. I have a sundowner but was never happy with the looks or the forward and down rider position. I'm flip flopping on whether to run the stocker out to KC and see how it does. 1 thing in the Sundowners favor is my Gran Tour pack sits on the pass pillion and isn't in the way for fill ups with it. The stocker may not work out as well.
Ed

Z16:
This is EXACTLY who I was thinking of using. I met them about 2 years ago and bought a pad to throw on TOP of the stock seat. It helped quite a bit, but i always felt it should have been installed inside permanately. In any event, when they get back from Wildwood, i will give them a buzz. Thanks for the tip.

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Yarvis said:
Z16:
This is EXACTLY who I was thinking of using. I met them about 2 years ago and bought a pad to throw on TOP of the stock seat. It helped quite a bit, but i always felt it should have been installed inside permanately. In any event, when they get back from Wildwood, i will give them a buzz. Thanks for the tip.
Hello everyone:
Just an update on the Butt Buffer situation. I TRIED numerous times to get in contact with Brooklyn Butt Buffer, I got back ONE automated response and a very short email telling me to call them. I decided to use another Butt Buffer business in PA. I got the seat back in ONE day. The pad installed in my stock seat came to a very reasonable $140! I took my first ride with it this morning. While it was not very long or far, I do believe this will be the way and or answer for me. I was able to get them to raise the seat by just over a half an inch. I will report on my first LONG trip.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts