Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Summer air?

1K views 43 replies 26 participants last post by  MurphysLaw 
#1 ·
Who all has changed their tires to Summer air for the season? :D

#3 ·
pegdragger said:
We had a blonde friend that we sent to the local service station convinced that she had to take the winter air out of her tires and put the summer air in.
AWESOME!

#5 ·
Have you installed the new high speed muffler bearings yet? Don't forget, this is the time of year to pay a lot of attention to your blinker fluid.

#7 ·
TexasV-Rod said:
Who all has changed their tires to Summer air for the season? :D
I just did it. That old air was really dirty but I couldnt get all of the old air out. If I turn the bike upside down and turn the pedals really fast with the valve cap off. will all the old come out??? :D

#8 ·
MurphysLaw said:
I just did it. That old air was really dirty but I couldnt get all of the old air out. If I turn the bike upside down and turn the pedals really fast with the valve cap off. will all the old come out??? :D
I would suggest doing this over a Bunsen burner so as to heat the air inside the tire. It should make it come out easier. :D

#9 ·
Diamond Lil said:
I would suggest doing this over a Bunsen burner so as to heat the air inside the tire. It should make it come out easier. :D
Good Idea!! I'm going to try that Lil. thanks!!:D

#10 ·
In the hot summer months I usually take the cold air out of the freezer and put in my tires. I heard this will help with gas mileage. The same in the cold winter I take air out of the hot oven and put it in as well. For traction you know in the snow.

#11 ·
SawDawg said:
In the hot summer months I usually take the cold air out of the freezer and put in my tires. I heard this will help with gas mileage. The same in the cold winter I take air out of the hot oven and put it in as well. For traction you know in the snow.

Wow! How do you prevent condensation which ends up icing?

#15 ·
Fortunately, I've got a classic HD that burns air so I never need to change it, just add a couple psi each week and I'm good. Might need to change out the air filter though every 5K miles or so.

#16 ·
I still have the winter air in, I tried to order some summer air online but Zanotti's says it's back ordered. Part # 614908air-03 Can anyone confirm this part number? I'm at work and don't have my parts manual. Been pushing the envelope by not switching out my air I know, I know....

#17 ·
Unfortunately, I was forced into replacing the Winter air last weekend. :(

#20 ·
Like most Harley's, my winter air is slowly being replaced by summer air. As it leaks out, little by little, I simply top it up with summer Air. I've read of the concerns of mixing summer and winter air, but so far, in 16K miles, I've not encountered a problem.

But...I've heard that USofA air and European air simply will not mix. The European air, being heavier than US air, will collect in the bottom of the tires and cause the tire to be out of balance. Can anyone confirm this...?

#21 ·
The owners manual says to check pressure with cold tires. Does this mean the cold winter air should stay in to check pressure? I'm confused.....

#22 ·
photogger said:
The owners manual says to check pressure with cold tires. Does this mean the cold winter air should stay in to check pressure? I'm confused.....
It'll work, but there's a complex formula for making it happen:

2eip/6 = 2(cos[p / 6] + isin[p / 6]) = Ö3 + i

#24 ·
My dealer already did it...said it was part of the 1K service.

#25 ·
IROC-V said:
My dealer already did it...said it was part of the 1K service.

OH CRAP!! What's THAT set you back!?

#26 ·
TexasV-Rod said:
OH CRAP!! What's THAT set you back!?
A mere $170. They even threw in a reach-around. I asked to substitute for the happy ending instead, but was told only the Jap dealers give those. :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.