Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggestions for materials to make a "spark arrestor" for the V7H Quiet Baffle

This might sound strange to some, but I'm looking for the proper name for the material (metal mesh capable of sustaining exhaust temperatures) that I could use to make a spark arrestor (I used to have one on my KTM450EXCR pipe) for the V&H Competition Slipons Quiet Baffle.

The idea is to completely prevent any kind of rod/broom handle insertion test that law enforcement might be tempted to use to give another ticket.

I just received my Quiet Baffles and I was think of making a spark arrestor from metal mesh (like those used for sifting out rocks from earth material) but that could sustain the exhaust temperatures of my F.

Not sure how I would secure this in place (welding is not something I'm tooled for)... Maybe shaping those like condoms inserted over the narrower end of the baffles and secured through the baffle holes...

Anyway, anybody has an unambiguous name for such heat resistant metal mesh? Also, any specific grades to sustain temperatures and back pressures.

In return I can post pictures and DB levels recorded with my iPhone4 (for what it's worth).

Thanks,

VRodThumper

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
Any stainless steel mesh located at the end of the baffle would stop a stick from being proded into the end of the pipe. Are you telling me that some Mounty stuck a stick into your pipe? I would have put a boot into his ass. Thats bs brotha.

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
I kinda understand. Seems like it must be a test. If they can burn a stick by coming it all the way into the pipe as far as they can they don't consider it to be a baffled system. Tab has a rod welded across the opening and I assumed it must have been for installation/removal grip but maybe its for this test prevention.

Sent from my EVO 4g

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the your replies.

I was pondering my options, trying to avoid simply putting back the stock/OEM pipes (and sounding like a Honda again).

I finally received my quiet baffles and put them on. Sadly though, I did not hear ANY difference (unlike the many posts I read about them). My iPhone4 Decibel meter (I'm aware this is not a calibrated measurement, but still) did not detect any difference either with the baffles on or off.

So now my options are:

1) Replace the packing inside the V&H (it seemed 1/2 gone from my baffle installation) and add packing around the outside of the quiet baffles (around the part that has the smaller diameter) without obstructing the opening (obviously), but I have to find a way to secure that packing in place.

I tried to find those adhesive tapes that can sustain high temperatures (or something that looks like what V&H used to secure its original packing around the inside tube), but I could not. So I found pure steel mechanical wire, which I'm hoping will not melt at the exhaust temperatures (1400 F I think).

2) Put the stock/OEM pipes back on, but drill wholes to get a little louder. But that would require that I change the end tips of the pipes for the US style end tips, so that I could drill the whole. I also think I would need to paint in black in the inside of the US style end tips so that the additional whole are less visible (and thus prone to being noticed by law enforcement).

I guess I will have to try my option 1), and fall back on 2) should I get another ticket.

The attempt to prevent a broom stick style test is just my paranoid mind trying to minimize my exposure to any angle law enforcement might decide to use to justify a ticket (should I succeed in reducing the dbs of my V&H to something closer to legal / tolerable, broom stick seems like the alternate way a cop could try to justify a ticket).

MT

·
on the hwy to hell
5,025 Posts
When I had the 2into1 V&H I had the quiet baffle and yes you can add some around the outside of it I wrapped it with some wire the factory wrap inside is crap at least mine was nothing hardly there

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 9 of 9 Posts