Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Chrome vs Anodized hard saddlebags?

• Stick with the anodize to match the bike

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • More chrome is always cooler. Go shiny!

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • They're both ugly- go with the black leather or vinyl bags

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • We really don't give a damn, decide yourself

Votes: 7 21.2%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is, I guess, a fun problem to have.
My new HD molded bags just came in, mail order from Surdyke.
However, I ordered the ones where the tops match my anodize aluminum. They sent me, by mistake, the chrome topped ones.

I actually really like the anodize look of the V-rod, and had no intention of chroming the hell out of the bike. Although, I guess more chrome is always nice.

So- I'm just looking for opinions here. Should I keep the chrome bags? or return them and get the anodized finish that matches the bike. No wrong answers here. What's your personal preference?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Jeannie says I have become a chromosexual. :)

·
Ted
1,631 Posts
Another option: I personally don't like the looks of any of the side bags. Takes something away from the styling of a v-rod. I use a luggage rack (not that this is any better) and have 2 small leather bags for it. One is a T-bag (love this one) small and round shape and won't sag (very sturdy). The other is the leather bag by Sac. This one is currently in a leather repair shop and I am putting in reinforced bottom and sides so it won't sag anymore.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Personally, I'd send 'em back and get the anodized finished ones.

I like the look of chrome on a motorcycle, but I guess I prefer to have the chrome accent or contrast with the other parts of the bike. And the V-Rod, in stock (or near stock) trim, doesn't really need a lot more accenting. I guess this is one reason why I haven't bothered with the chrome fork sliders or brake calipers.

I also find, from a strictly practical standpoint, that the anodized bits seem to be much easier to keep clean (or at least "not dirty looking") than the chrome bits.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Yeah, what he said:spit:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
:rofl3:

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
Chromo's

Originally posted by Max
Jeannie says I have become a chromosexual. :hiding: Are you a closet chromosexual? :lick::moon

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
LOL, No I would be a flaming chromosexual.

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
I think I'm turning flamin chromo too............Its how I was born, I can't help it...........:broke:1268::460: LOL

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
I knew it I'm surrounded by a bunch of
CHROMO'S

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I must apologize morey000, it seems we let your thread drift. I think the vote is the important thing.

Max

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
he he he

No problem with letting the thread drift. We're all here for the fun of it.
Not that I have anything against those of you who are chomosexuals. Some of my best friends are.

Actually I feel like an idiot.:rolleyes: Get this:- I pretty much decided that I really love the look of the aluminum anodize. OK- perhaps I'm in a minority here, but there's no accounting for taste, and I think the ano is cool, and easy to care for.

So I call up the place and tell them I'd like the anodized ones... he he he.
According to Surdyke, Harley doesn't make ones with anodize. Both the bags that 'complement' the anodized bikes, and the bags that complement the silver bikes are chrome capped. The only difference is the color of the paint on the bottom half of the bag. One is painted a charcoal grey metallic, to complement the ano. The other is painted silver metallic (for $50 more) that complements the silver.

Oh well. Looks like I'll live with the chome caps. Thanks for all the opinions, and the humor.

All of you who said that the vrod looks better without the bag- Hey, you're right. But I find that I ride pretty much every day, and having that extra storage space, including a rack on the back, makes the difference between getting to take the bike, or having to use 4 wheels and haul 4,000 useless extra pounds of steel with me. So- I sacrafice a little style, so I get to sacrafice comfort as well.

Max- your chromed, anodized? flames look way cool. Post some closeups!

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
As The Say"If it Don't Go Fast Chrome It!":goof
I used to be a Chromoholic then I became a Nitrous Junkie! :diablo:
It's your ride who cares what we think!;)

·
1,738 Posts
morey000: Glad you figured out the difference. I meant to post a reply when I first read your post, but thought there might be an option I did not know about.

Definitely stick with the bags that are designed for your bike. Unlike many members, when I see a V-rod with the HD hardbags, I always am impressed with how well they fit the lines of the bike. In my opinion they in no way decrease the beauty fo the bike, just change it. This is something I cannot say about all the other options I have considered.

They may be small and expensive, but they offer locked security for a jacket, tools, raingear, and/or small half helmet.

My problem is choosing which works best for my bike (black and silver, with orange pinstriping). I have narrowed it down to the vivid black with chrome, or the vinyl covered. I feel the chrome top would look best, but am leaning toward the vinyl for the following reasons:

Bags will invariably be rubbed against something you are trying to manuver around (garage door frames, cars, etc), and it is my hope the vinyl will withstand such mishaps with less cosmetic damage than paint. Also, I kind of like the detailing on the vinyl covered lids (and they won't show fingerprints).

V-Fred

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
V-Fred

the black vinyl ones do have some nice detail, and, methinks, look pretty nice, perhaps nicer on a bike with some black paint, than the painted hard bags!

Sounds like you pretty much know which ones you want. Get'm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts