Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone planning to ride to Sturgis this year? I did it last year from Dallas and plan on doing it again this year. Stayed in Custer, S.D. last year. It was too far away from Sturgis. About 1.5 hrs ride to Sturgis each day (and night!). That's too far to ride back when it's as cold as it gets at night and I'm liquored up pretty good!! We're thinking about camping this year at either the Buffalo Chip or Glencoe. $165 for camping throughout the event. That's not to shabby.

Just thought I'd get a Sturgis thread going... it'll sneak up on us if we aren't careful!! :cheers:

Jamie

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
It's on our calendar. We haven't made reservations to stay anywhere yet, tho. Hope it's not too late already!

·
Ted
1,629 Posts
I have reservations at Buffalo Chip CG for the first 5 days of the event. Then off to Montana for Rockin/Ridin the Rockies. I pick up the group from Sturgis to Montana (I think on Thursday AM).

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
I will be stationed at Ft Leavenworth, KS by then... only 730 miles! Plus I got a buddy who has a 6 bedroom house on 5 acres in the area (<30min) he has "offered." Even if I sleep in my Tahoe and just use the shower it will be cool!

Mike

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have plans to go...a nine day trip for me. Three up, three there, and three home. Plan on camping at the Chip

·
Registered
984 Posts
I was there last year. stayed at the Broken Throttle Ranch. About 10 miles out of town, quiet if you can belive that in sturges. We were under trees. Was a great place to crash after a hard day.
http://www.sturgiscamping.com/brokenthrottle/

:biker:

If going let me know would like to meet sometime.

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
I stayed at the Buffalo Chip last year and would not recommend it to others. The facilities suck (showers/bathrooms). We had to pay $5 a day to use portable showers. This year I am planning to only go there on the nights of the concerts that interest me. I've heard Glencoe is a better place to stay.

Just my $0.02!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the $0.02 Motown_VROD. That's exactly the type of info I was hoping for. I'm still pondering purchasing a bike trailer with facilities inside (shower, pisser, sink, microwave, refrig, a/c). I figure if I only use it for sturgis and I go for at least 8 yrs... it'll have paid for itself. I plan on going many more years than that as I'm only 28 now!!!

Jamie

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
I'm 29 years old and also plan to attend most years too. Sturgis is a blast, but you don't see many V-Rods there. I was there all week and saw maybe 10-15 V-Rods.

We need to get a group "get together" scheduled for one of the days we are all there this year.

The Chip was fun, but the dirt roads had us washing the bikes every single day on the way out. With the exception of the concert grounds/stage it's just a big old cow pasture!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you planning to stay at Glencoe? We may stay there... I'd really like to have a trailer with a camping package though. Having my own shower and a frig to bring food/beer sounds like a plan to me... I may have to drop some $ on a trailer...

Are you riding with others? Last year we went with a group of about 12 guys. Mostly around the age of 40 - 50. They wanted to go out and ride all day. We (me and two buddies our age) just wanted to ride to Sturgis each day and drink some beer and check out the women and bikes.

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
More than likely we'll be at Glencoe this year. We trailer out to Sturgis from Detroit for obvious reasons... We would rather haul ass to get out there in one day and spend more time riding through the Black Hills. The return trip is much better with a trailer because I'm usually worn out after seven days of Sturgis and would hate to add 2 days to the trip coming back home!

·
Registered
503 Posts
3 of us are planning on sturgis this year.. the same three of us a Daytona bike week the other two guys own a motorhome we use for dirt bike riding here in michigan.
I think we have reservations at glenco. I definetly appreciate the info on glenco and buffalo chip.

anyone know the inside scoop on glenco.. like where to park? I did'nt like the all dirt/wash bikes everyday deal at the chip

Broken Throttle also sounds very cool... anyone else have any thoughts on that place... I do not want to be very far out of town as driving all beered up is NOT COOL. that's why I'd like some real action right in the campground

thanks
greg

·
Registered
503 Posts
3 of us are planning on sturgis this year.. the same three of us a Daytona bike week the other two guys own a motorhome we use for dirt bike riding here in michigan.
I think we have reservations at glenco. I definetly appreciate the info on glenco and buffalo chip.

anyone know the inside scoop on glenco.. like where to park? I did'nt like the all dirt/wash bikes everyday deal at the chip

Broken Throttle also sounds very cool... anyone else have any thoughts on that place... I do not want to be very far out of town as driving all beered up is NOT COOL. that's why I'd like some real action right in the campground

thanks
greg

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
You definately don't want to ride drunk there. There are so many cops there it's crazy. Regardless you could kill yourself or someone else.

Last year while there we were heading from town to the Chip and almost hit two deer that shot across the road in front of us. Thank God we were only going about 40MPH instead of the usual 60MPH.

Broken Throttle is right across from Glencoe and is a great bar. Lots of naked ladies and cheap drinks. Good concerts some of the nights too.

·
Vroddin' Madman
271 Posts
Getting together is a MUST. I will be out there with a buddy of mine that rides a ROD too. We are staying at Katmandu just south of Sturgis. Stayed in Rapid City last year and found that a bit long of a ride after partying all night at Full Throttle or the Chip. Full or Broken throttle whatever... It is all just a blur. Heh Heh.

As the event gets closer we need to just set a day we get together for a ride out to the Badlands or something.

·
Registered
587 Posts
We trailer up from denver and save the riding for when we get there, plus it gives us a large truck to travel in at night. We stay in deadwood for the gambling and in general the night life of course we all take women so it elimiates half the battle and leaves more time for partying with friends.

·
HOG MEMBER
59 Posts
Me and my wife are going to be there aug 7&8. we are staying in hill city. that was the closest place I could find and the only dates. :dance: I cant wait....

·
Registered
832 Posts
Jamie,
A buddy and I will be leaving Dallas 8/5 and trailering to somewhere in Colorado. Doing Denver for the weekend, then Sturgis during the week, then back to Denver for the weekend (my sister lives in Denver).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts