Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ugh:banghead: I have lost the second screw from the heat shield on my "R". This is a pain... The stealer replaced the last one as it's under warranty, but I don't appriciate the looks, and the rolled eyes from them...dammit. I think I'll tell them that I just want about 4 or 5 more screws and nuts, and I'll put them on myself.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Bgjames111 said:
ugh:banghead: I have lost the second screw from the heat shield on my "R". This is a pain... The stealer replaced the last one as it's under warranty, but I don't appriciate the looks, and the rolled eyes from them...dammit. I think I'll tell them that I just want about 4 or 5 more screws and nuts, and I'll put them on myself.
Replace them with some stainless screws of the same size - they'll cost less (not than free) in the long run, the stainless seems to stay stuck better than the chrome (for me, anyway) and your heart will last longer.

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Or just tighten up every 500 miles

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Clear silicone on the threads before inserting them. Mine haven't come loose since. FWIW, neither have Ruthann's.

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys!

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dealer gave me a bag of screws. Used locktite, and they havent loosened yet!

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
Xoygeha said:
How are you all getting your bolts for free, the parts counter at my POS dealer charges me like $1.50 each. :soapbox:
And before it's asked, yes, the bike is still under warrentee
I said "this is under waranty, right?" and he said yes. It all depends on the dealer.

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would've been kinda pi$$ed if they tried to charge me for screws. Sometimes you have to assert yourself or people walk all over you.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Xoygeha said:
How are you all getting your bolts for free, the parts counter at my POS dealer charges me like $1.50 each. :soapbox:
And before it's asked, yes, the bike is still under warranty
I would have told him thats OK I'll get the service manager to set me up an appointment for warranty work. It worked for me >:)

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Bgjames111 said:
Check out the store on the Forum. Max sells, very inexpensively, screws that are self locking. I use'm - they work.

·
Premium Member
10,816 Posts
VrodG said:
I would have told him thats OK I'll get the service manager to set me up an appointment for warranty work. It worked for me >:)
That's what I did, too. In fact, the screws did come in thru service. Funny, seems like only yesterday if you went to the dealer and told him a part fell off your Harley, you would be in very good company - as most guys in line were buying stuff to replace what fell off! One reason our culture mandates hand washing - so you can see what parts are missing! I will say that the new Harleys are so much better than ever before. JMHO, Joe

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
Well so much for Longhord HD not charging. I had one fall out (I think I forgot to loctite it) since putting the 3rd volume back on after the CFR came off. The *&(%(&$(* charged me $2.15 for one )(*&_(*&^)&^* screw!!!

It's got a ton o' hi temp loctite on it now. Guess I better order the bag o' 8 from Max.

Oh, when I mentioned it should still be under waranty, they said no problem, leave the bike with the service department and they'll get to it when they can... talk about sucky attitude. The service department lady has my heat shield recall parts on order. I'll let them do that and check the latest flash version and that's it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts