Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a lame one but what does the "A" stand for and what makes it different? I know its an "AW" now and the "W" is for the wide tires. Thanks!

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
The best :stilpoke: :hidesbeh:

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
aluminized frame

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
I don't believe the A actually stands for anything. It's just the model designation. Just like B, D, DX, X etc....

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Don't forget "R"... it stands for VRSCRubish.:sinister:

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
VRSC is the line... V-twin Racing Street Custom. There was only one in the beginning and it was just VRSC

Then they made one with a black frame, called it the VRSCB and the original assumed the A...

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
sounds about right !

·
Registered
317 Posts
luxlamf said:
I thought it was VRSCRejected.

You Guys are so funny!

I think you are all so bitter about the R beacuase you suffer from short man syndrome and can't touch the floor when sitting on a bike with a NORMAL seat height!!:hidesbeh:

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
VRSC is the line... V-twin Racing Street Custom. There was only one in the beginning and it was just VRSC

Then they made one with a black frame, called it the VRSCB and the original assumed the A...
Not sure if you're joking, but the original V-Rod that came out in 2002 when only one color was available (anodized tins with silver paint on frame) and the 2003 V-Rods when a 2nd color option was added (the anniversary silver and black) were all designated VRSCA before the VRSCB came out in 2004.

·
Registered
114 Posts
They'd have trouble spelling out the full designation of the AW without the A

:biker: VRSCAWesome

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
stever975 said:
Not sure if you're joking, but the original V-Rod that came out in 2002 when only one color was available (anodized tins with silver paint on frame) and the 2003 V-Rods when a 2nd color option was added (the anniversary silver and black) were all designated VRSCA before the VRSCB came out in 2004.

No I wasn't joking...but I do know that the A was not an A in the beginning.

When there was only one there was no reason to have a designator...

But yea...that sounds right that the A showed up before the colors...

It's like the World Wars...it was not called WWI before there was a second...once we had WWII, then the first war assumed the WWI...

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
A= Aluminized frame
B= Black frame

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
VRSCA V-Rod features:

Liquid-cooled, 1130cc Revolution V-Twin engine
Two-tone silver and charcoal powder-coated cylinders with chrome covers
Silver-leafed aluminium paint on hydroformed frame
Welded pull-back handlebars
Clamshell instrument pod
Aerodynamic reflector-optic headlight
18-inch disc rear wheel, 19-inch disc front wheel
Aluminium radiator shroud with twin vortex air scoops
Custom mirrors
VRSCB V-Rod

The tough-looking VRSCB V-Rod features a black frame and polished engine covers, black hand controls, black brake calipers and lines, adjustable handlebars and a minimalist instrument housing. A new round headlight mount and a black nacelle house a clear-lens reflector-optic light. Bodywork is available in the original V-Rod anodised aluminium and four solid-colour paint choices.

VRSCB V-Rod features:

Liquid-cooled, 1130cc Revolution V-Twin engine
Black-and-silver powder-coated engine with polished highlights
Black-painted hydroformed frame
Black-painted controls
Conventional clamped handlebars
Traditional round headlight
18-inch disc rear wheel, 19-inch disc front wheel
Aluminium radiator shroud with twin vortex air scoops

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
No I wasn't joking...but I do know that the A was not an A in the beginning.

When there was only one there was no reason to have a designator...

But yea...that sounds right that the A showed up before the colors...

It's like the World Wars...it was not called WWI before there was a second...once we had WWII, then the first war assumed the WWI...
Don't want to make a big deal out of this, but I have to disagree, unless by the beginning you mean before it was released and was being discussed by HD internally.

I don't think the WWI analogy is applicable.

The V-Rod first introduced in 2001 was a VRSCA model. I have several documents published in 2001 with this designation used including my 2002 VRSCA owners manual. Maybe some internal documents before then used VRSC and certain more recent documents use VRSC when something is common to all models but the original V-Rod released in 2001 was designated VRSCA.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
stever975 said:
Don't want to make a big deal out of this, but I have to disagree, unless by the beginning you mean before it was released and was being discussed by HD internally.

The V-Rod first introduced in 2001 was a VRSCA model. I have several documents published in 2001 with this designation used including my 2002 VRSCA owners manual. Maybe some internal documents before then used VRSC and certain more recent documents use VRSC when something is common to all models but the original V-Rod released in 2001 was designated VRSCA.
I gotta agree here...My '02 was an "A" before there was an aniversary model (also an "A") in '03, or a "B" in '04. When the "A"s first hit the showroom floors in '02 (remember when every dealer was demanding a cool $25K?) they were "A"s. My '02 owners manual and service manual are for the "A" model.

I also agree that the "A" is HD's arbitrary designation for the first model and stands for Awesome. "AW" indicates 'still Awesome, Wide ass.:D

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
This is what the MoCo says in his 08 model folder (int ec-30001-08eb)

Attachments

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
stever975 said:

Well to that I am going to have to say.....Oh. I guess VRSC is the line....A was the first and so on? I guess the WWI WWII analogy was a bit off...I just see when looking for parts on the HD website you can choose VRSC and VRSCA. I just figured the difference between them was the A was added after others were introduced.

ANNIEZZ said:
This is what the MoCo says in his 08 model folder (int ec-30001-08eb)

Not to stir another pot....but according to that brochure....Night Rods and Street Rods are not "V-Rods". What do you think about that?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts