Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 Rod with SE pipes, K&N and Stage 1 ECM. I decided to go topless and the bike ran for 20 seconds and died. I cannot restart it. All it does is crank and crank and the engine light comes on. I disconnected the battery for a day hoping the code would reset but to no avail. I am in Denver and I guess it thought it was too lean with being topless. Do I have to trailer to a dealer to get the code erased or is this an excuse to buy a SERT? Please help.

· Color me Gone
27,325 Posts
Running without the top won't change it that much. Did it by any chance have the IAT sensor in the top and are you trying to run without the sensor now?

You can read the codes to find out if it has any but I'm betting the engine is flooded, but thats just a guess.

Read codes here http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3

· 1130cc.comaholic
13,219 Posts
I'm sure you knocked something loose, a wire or something. Many people take the top off with no troubles.

· I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
I'm pretty sure taking your air box top off didn't cause this. It's more likely the robbwest syndrone....try to fix/improve something that isn't wrong and it's sure to be [email protected] :rofl2:

· Bags R For Groceries
1,056 Posts
:them:

· Registered
428 Posts
just a thought but have you charged the battery since you have been cranking on it. the v-rod are very sensitive to amperage and voltage. might be a good idea to charge the battery and check the fuses, just a starting point

· Premium Member
6,249 Posts
stlinane said:
My bike is showing codes P1351 and P1354. Nothing looks like it is disconnected. I didn't mess with the coils. Could they be bad or is it something else. Please Max, come to my rescue again!!
The P1351 & P1354 codes indicate that the 12 V power is missing. The ignition coils get power on the yellow with green stripe wire (Y/GN) from the system relay. The fuel pump is powered on this line also. Does the fuel pump come on for 2 seconds when you first turn the ignition on? If not then your system relay is not working or the ECM is not activating it. Max may have more ideas.

· Registered
428 Posts
stever975 said:
The P1351 & P1354 codes indicate that the 12 V power is missing. The ignition coils get power on the yellow with green stripe wire (Y/GN) from the system relay. The fuel pump is powered on this line also. Does the fuel pump come on for 2 seconds when you first turn the ignition on? If not then your system relay is not working or the ECM is not activating it. Max may have more ideas.
you can swap the two relays out to see if its the relay I believe the other is for the fan ?

· Premium Member
6,249 Posts
06_vrscr said:
you can swap the two relays out to see if its the relay I believe the other is for the fan ?
There's actually three relays. The Start Relay (31522-00C) is a SPDT gray colored relay, the System Relay (31511-01B) is SPST black colored relay, and the Fan Relay (another 31522-00C, same as the Starter Relay). The 31522-00C relays are close enough in specs to the 31511-01B that the Fan Relay could be used in the System Relay socket as you suggested.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My fuel pump does not come on. I have charged the battery, but it is 6 years old...maybe time for a new one!!! I will get one and then check the codes. The bike makes a weird sound when I toggle the run switch on and off. Sounds like it is electrical. Is there anything I can do to get the fuel pump to come on? I just want to say that you guys have been great! Love the help!!!!!!!

· Registered
428 Posts
have you checked the system relay and the fuel pump fuse yet ?

· Registered
428 Posts
You should be able to swap the system and fan relays to see if the fuel pump primes when you turn the ignition on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts