Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I tried to start my Rod this morning and it would'nt fire. I tried to move the throttle and it was stuck in the idle position.Pulled the top of the throttle control off and it was ok.Temp outside this morn. was about 25.Had to take care of some biz, and when Igot back to check my Rod The throttle was free and smooth.Temp was appr.55.I wondering if one or both of the throttle bodys could have been distorted from the cold?None of the likage was bound and I keep it lubed with WD40.I'm not saying that it was stiff it was bound.Throttle would not rotate.I don't remember, but are'nt the stacks plastic.Are The V-Rods naturally hard starting in the cold.Maybe a new mapp setting is in order.I have PC111.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
the only thing I could suggest is not to use wd40 to lube the cable's. WD40 has a large amount of xylene that is mostly a cleaner. It dries fast and leaves you with little to no lubrication for most part after a short period of time. I use a graphite lube on my cables but you will find a lot of good lubes on the market made just for cables.

Not sure why they were stuck I would think since the throttle bodies are subject to extreme heat conditions that a little cold would not effect them at all. If it does it again reach under and try to move the throttle plates by hand.

Max

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the cables dissconnected at the engine it would not move.I had to leave and did not have time to contine checking.I think I'll pull the top off tonight so I can look at the butterflys in the AM.I know that WD is more of a cleaner,I really don't think it's the problem.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Moisture in the linkage or inside the venturi probably froze. Didn't work @ 25 deg, worked @ 55 deg ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts