Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for drag racing should i be running struts or shocks? i have been told to get rid of my struts. 1130 motor with trask turbo.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
try it both ways and see.. i have been going to dragraces since the 70`s and have dragraced quite a few different bikes and i feel that a no wheelie bar bike will go quicker with properly adjusted shocks than with struts, but there a lot of people who would argue with me and they run fast with struts.. i know that the really high hp prostreet bikes all run shocks and the worlds fastest no wheelie bar bike runs shocks..they are actually quicker and faster than any wheelie bar strutted bike with the same size slick..

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Im with Leon, if your not going to run wheelie bars , run the shocks... You want the weight to transfer the weight to the rear to help plant the tire.. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
outlaw prostreet bikes run the 7in slick , quite a few of them run in the 6`s over 200mph.. there was a class in prostar called top eliminator that used the same tire with struts and wheelie bar.. basically unlimited nitrous motors in each class.. the outlaw prostreet`s are much faster than the top eliminators were.. the top eliminator bikes were real bad at smoking the rear tire even past the 1000ft mark.. i think that having suspension helps keep the tire hooked up especially at higher speeds and really high hp levels.. at least from what i have seen that is my opinion..

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Makes sense... I guess in the case of any loss of traction, any movement of the bike down the track, any pull after shifting or activating NOS, turbo etc, if you have struts there is nothing to compensate for that sudden change since the suspension is fixed, moreover with high HP'ed machines. I was thinking of using struts as a way to save weight, but again, that 8 pound saving can lead to traction problems with the lack of suspension in the other hand...isn't it? :hidesbeh:

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
try it both ways and see.. i have been going to dragraces since the 70`s and have dragraced quite a few different bikes and i feel that a no wheelie bar bike will go quicker with properly adjusted shocks than with struts, but there a lot of people who would argue with me and they run fast with struts.. i know that the really high hp prostreet bikes all run shocks and the worlds fastest no wheelie bar bike runs shocks..they are actually quicker and faster than any wheelie bar strutted bike with the same size slick..
:them:

·
JESUS IS LORD
469 Posts
I run struts because of the weight and cost,Shocks are by far better, But they need to be the right shocks and they expensive!!!!
Gene is working on some and I hope they work so I can steal his idea. But if my choice was stock shocks or struts,I would pick struts.

My:2cents:

Rich V

·
JESUS IS LORD
469 Posts
I bit the bullet! I am installing my new Works shocks today and will be testing on Saturday @ Numidia Dragway I'll let you know how I make out.

·
Registered
830 Posts
shocks or struts

outlaw prostreet bikes run the 7in slick , quite a few of them run in the 6`s over 200mph.. there was a class in prostar called top eliminator that used the same tire with struts and wheelie bar.. basically unlimited nitrous motors in each class.. the outlaw prostreet`s are much faster than the top eliminators were.. the top eliminator bikes were real bad at smoking the rear tire even past the 1000ft mark.. i think that having suspension helps keep the tire hooked up especially at higher speeds and really high hp levels.. at least from what i have seen that is my opinion..
I have run both on the same bike; the struts and bar make you brave. I have run better times with the struts and bar, also much more consistent. Those high HP bikes if they are feeling brave like I do may tend to pour more coal on hence the smoking tire. My guess would be the non bar bikes are not applying as much power through out the trip and are staying very close to the max power / traction limits carrying the front tire but not smoking the rear. Takes huge pecans to run on the edge like that!:notworth::notworth::notworth: Maybe one day I’ll make enough power to smoke with the bar on and be forced to cultivate a larger set!

·
JESUS IS LORD
469 Posts
We made three passes with the new Works shocks on Saturday,We did not see our 60fts improve that much,but the lunch was alot less violent and the ride was much softer.I think the shocks will be better in the long run.I've had struts on the bike since 2003 so this will take alittle getting used to.We can test some more when I get back from Sturgis.

Rich V

·
Registered
830 Posts
We made three passes with the new Works shocks on Saturday,We did not see our 60fts improve that much,but the lunch was alot less violent and the ride was much softer.I think the shocks will be better in the long run.I've had struts on the bike since 2003 so this will take alittle getting used to.We can test some more when I get back from Sturgis.

Rich V
We will be watching:thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts