Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dragon
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have good picks of rigid struts in place of shocks? i fabbed up some 11" eye to eye struts for my 02, which really lays the fender well over the 200 series tire. i think the shocks look like crap on the hydro-frame but square stock struts aren't the answer.

Attachments

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
big rich has them on his VR race bike i think, you might want to check his photo gallery.

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
J&P used to sell a strut called "billet not shocks". I ran them before I got air ride. They were either 10" or 10.5, can't remember now. Last I checked them didn't list them on their site, so not too sure who would have them. Hope this was totally worthless to you.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Unless the bike is very strictly a drag racer and never run on the street, why would anyone swap their shocks for struts???

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Personally I think the Kosman struts are the best looking ones out there. I have two sets one that Cheatin' modified to be around 11" and an unmodified set from Kosman that I believe are 12". Here is a link to the unmodified ones: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140319

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65168

and here are some pics of the modified ones: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63996

Please note all the pics are taken with 17" wheels so the tuck isn't as dramatic as yours with the 18" stock wheel.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
Unless the bike is very strictly a drag racer and never run on the street, why would anyone swap their shocks for struts???

you know i may be way out of line here, but i'd say someone put struts on there bike because thats what they want. just like someone would paint a bike a different color or put different wheels on their bike, but thats just a wild guess, what do i know anyway.............

·
Dragon
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just like the slammed look. my triumph has a 16" seat high & 1/2 clear over tire. i have rode it for 3K miles like that. i use my 08' rocker for long trips because it has a big tank and plush ride. the v is for light to light stuff and it looks better low on the strip. i think the rear of the bike fails the hydro frame. i'm working on a hard-tail project (as soon as i get an extra frame) to incorporate a tube triangle in place of the swing arm.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
J&P used to sell a strut called "billet not shocks". I ran them before I got air ride. They were either 10" or 10.5, can't remember now. Last I checked them didn't list them on their site, so not too sure who would have them. Hope this was totally worthless to you.
Well,fwiw,this was pretty useless information for me.:wazzup:

·
Dragon
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the strut pics. i'm going to try to fab something in keeping with the bikes lines but i'm have some creative block. probably should have a beer.

·
Registered
216 Posts
you know i may be way out of line here, but i'd say someone put struts on there bike because thats what they want. just like someone would paint a bike a different color or put different wheels on their bike, but thats just a wild guess, what do i know anyway.............
I'm with ya.

Different strokes for different folks. But it's all good.

·
Noel
4,611 Posts
I think Phil is raising the question about why, as the frames on old skool hard tails are designed to flex & stress to the poor road conditions, verses newer ~more rigid~ frames designed for sprung suspensions.

Handling dynamics on a drag race track (with wheelie bars or w/o) is pretty much irrelevant given the smooth controlled surface, but real world pot holed roads (like I have here in Mass & RI) and pretty much elsewhere with a ridged rear suspension handle poorly, I was glad to get the regular suspension back on my 04-A.

IMHO

·
Dragon
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
...I think Phil is raising the question about why, as the frames on old skool hard tails are designed to flex & stress to the poor road conditions, verses newer ~more rigid~ frames designed for sprung suspensions.

:bs: the frames on an old school hard tail are not designed to flex & stress to poor road conditions. real old school fabrication took nothing into consideration of flex and stress. in fact i had all of the bondo crack out of an old sportster frame cause i had no idea what i was doing. back in the "old school" we'd bolt or weld any tubing we had laying around the shop on the back of them things. probably wasn't smart but i never had one fail. the increased tube sizes required to handle this kinda HP will make it stiffer but i don't know any old school fabricators that factored frame flex for comfort in their bikes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts