Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on which works out the best - a 1/4" weld up verses installing a Destroyer crank. Is there any differance in reliability between the two options. How about vibration - is one option smooter than the other. Any opinions on changing the rods verses changing pistons? This may be a silly question but.....Is there an option for thicker head gaskets/insert on the Destroyer crank. Looking to do this on the 1250 set-up. Kevin

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I have a falicon 1/4" stroker re-weld crank sitting in the floor gathering dust. I doesn't vibrate at all.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
If the rotating assy is balanced I don't see any problem with either crank.

I always heard the longer the rod the better :deal:

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Kevin,

I had the 1/4 weld in my 1350. It was very smooth with the CP M5078 pistons and stock rods. I prefer longer rods to decrease side loads on the piston skirts so like to move the pin up. REALLY do not understand why people use the Destroyer crank instead of the 1/4 Weld when the costs are so similar.

Why thicker gaskets? Honestly I would suggest using the 08K 1250 head gaskets. They are actually thinner at about .030 vs about .060" for the 05K gaskets. I am running the 08K with my 1402 right now which is 1250 bore.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
no problems with the 1/4 weld up and very smooth running engine.. we do have the balancer shaft ,,and falicon balanced the crank for our rod and piston setup.. we have stock length carillo rods. the pin hole in the piston is raised to compensate for the increased stroke.. like o2man i prefer the longer connecting rod to minimize side loading on the piston..i think that the 1/4 weldup and the 4.25 bore is the most bang for the buck..

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I must've made it seem like I was ready to purchase.... it was asked out of curiosity. I take delivery of my F in november, just dreaming and gathering information.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I must've made it seem like I was ready to purchase.... it was asked out of curiosity. I take delivery of my F in november, just dreaming and gathering information.
Contact Scott when your ready to start spending money and gaining horsepower...

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
What do you need we are your complete one stop shop for all you VRod horsepower needs!?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have a question about the offset ground welded up crank. I know in the automotive engines I have built that the offset ground cranks limit your power production due to strength of the stock cast crank. I know that Falicon makes a billet 1/2" and assume they would do a offset ground 1/2". Is the stock V Rod crank strong enough to be durable or is it worth just getting the billet one? Also is there enough room in our piston to get the pin moved up high enough to accommodate a 1/2" stoke with stock length rods?

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
The 3/8 and 1/2" cranks are made from new material they are not stock cranks welded up. With that said the issue is not strength per say but there is no room for side clearance for the rods, that is why 1/4" is the limit that Falicon will do. 3/8 and 1/2 cranks require shorter rods and pistons that have the pin placement for 1/4" stroke.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Ah ok so then if you want the half inch you have to use there billet crank. Thanks for the response. One other quick question do they make there "knife" rods for our motor?

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Ah ok so then if you want the half inch you have to use there billet crank. Thanks for the response. One other quick question do they make there "knife" rods for our motor?

I am not sure if they do I would have to email them to get a answer for you.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
The rods they have are standard H-beam rods for the V-Rod from K1/Carillo. Those are the ones I am using in my 1402 with the billet crank. Scott can get you deals on Falicon.

Mine

Compare to stock

1 - 16 of 16 Posts