Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a real nice 06 Street rod but don't want the high seat height. What all do I have to do suspension wise to make it a regular V Rod? THANKS HOOVY

Posted in the TECH section too need an answer ASAP!
Hoping to make the deal before Friday :) :) Thanks in advance !!!

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,630 Posts
while it can be done, you are way better off to get what you want to start with. There is good reason the R sold poorly and has lower value. Great bike, just not for the average VRODer.

EDIT: While you can lower it, you will have consequences and it will never work as well as a model that comes stock low. Some drop the front by raising the tubes in the sliders, but you will then have the fender hitting over big bumps. You have to cut the springs to do it right. The rear can be lowered but you will soon have issues with fuel tank clearance. Lastly, lowering an R makes it even less desirable on resale.

·
Asatruar
2,914 Posts
That's what Mike is telling you.

When I first bought my Street Rod, I too thought I could do the "change seats,shocks and lower it thang" that I'd done so many times with the airheads I'd owned. Found out quickly that due to the differing frame on the Street Rod, and the difference between most other VRod parts that it wasn't really an option.

When the VRSCA was introduced in 2002, motorcycle magazines praised it as a giant leap into the 21st Century for H-D but wished that it came in a "sportier" chassis. The VRSCR Street Rod was the factory's answer to that wish. and the "H-D Faithful" saw it as too jap looking & sitting too high. And avoided buying it like the plague.

Their loss,the Street Rod is a fine bike when used as intended. Harley classed it as one of their "roadsters". I saw earlier that H-D has recycled the Roadster name for a new Sportster line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts