Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I just completed a 3600 mile trip from Atlanta to Seattle on the street rod. Great trip and lots of fun. I saw one street rod (I think) in Great Falls so if that is a forum member please let me know..

I have a few comments on the bike.

1. I should have put a touring windshield on the bike before the trip. Riding naked in the wind was brutal. If not for a day in the hot tub at the Best Western in Sundance Wyoming I might not have made it.
2. I needed the Sundowner seat. After one stop to pack diapers on the seat under the HD gel pad, another stop at Walmart for a pillow and a final stop at Walgreens in Sioux City Iowa for another pillow my ass was OK.
3. If you ever tour on this bike make sure you have a bag that does not cover the seat. Having to unhook my bag everytime I stopped for gas was too much trouble.
4. Gas mileage was terrible but that was the price to pay for taking this bike. Once I got into the curvy roads of South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Washington it was worth it.
5. Spokane, WA is a cool little town. Kudos to all the nice people I met there.

Overall, it was a great trip and the bike rocked. I saw very, very few V-rods touring but it was nice to be a little different.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Guys,

I just completed a 3600 mile trip from Atlanta to Seattle on the street rod. Great trip and lots of fun. I saw one street rod (I think) in Great Falls so if that is a forum member please let me know..

I have a few comments on the bike.

1. I should have put a touring windshield on the bike before the trip. Riding naked in the wind was brutal. If not for a day in the hot tub at the Best Western in Sundance Wyoming I might not have made it.
2. I needed the Sundowner seat. After one stop to pack diapers on the seat under the HD gel pad, another stop at Walmart for a pillow and a final stop at Walgreens in Sioux City Iowa for another pillow my ass was OK.
3. If you ever tour on this bike make sure you have a bag that does not cover the seat. Having to unhook my bag everytime I stopped for gas was too much trouble.
4. Gas mileage was terrible but that was the price to pay for taking this bike. Once I got into the curvy roads of South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Washington it was worth it.
5. Spokane, WA is a cool little town. Kudos to all the nice people I met there.

Overall, it was a great trip and the bike rocked. I saw very, very few V-rods touring but it was nice to be a little different.
Looked like a great trip once you got into the country. I have a sundowner seat, and still dont think I would have been able to make it across 1 state!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I need an air hawk to make it more padded. I had a gel insert added to the stock seat but it barely helped. Brutal issues with this seat.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the comments. It was a great trip. In total it was 9 days. The bike is in storage in Seattle and waiting for me to fly back out and ride home or ship it. It really was a lot of fun. I have done several bike trips but none like that. I would recommend traveling with friends in case something happens.

Great roads in include Dead Indian pass on Chief Joseph Parkway, Bear Tooth, Glacier and antything around Black Hills of South Dakota. The SR performed great once we got on the curvy roads. It was high end performance riding with great natural beauty everywhere.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
always wanted to ride cross country...i think no matter what decent size bag you strap to the v-rod your gunna have an issue with the seat. i just put a MINI GRANTOUR from Kuryacyn on the DX pillion & i have to unhook the strap to lift the seat.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Great report and photos! I noted you did not use highway pegs, either. You are a brave man.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Please define "terrible", as in "terrible for 650 lb, 125 HP naked sport cruiser", or "terrible for a fully faired sport touring rig". Most importantly for me, since I'm riding to Sturgis in a week, would the the range-per-tank in the western states.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've taken a couple trips on my "R" since I've had it. One was about 1600 miles round trip. The Sundowner seat made all the difference. Like the other poster I too was concerned about not having highway pegs, but it was really not bad at all. One nice thing about the mids is that I could stand up and a stretch while riding and my brothers with the forward controls couldn't quite as easy. Gassing up was a bit of a pain with my luggage on the seat like he stated, but I developed a way to do it. I have now added an Ultra Classic along side my "R" to tour on which is the only way to go. But I really enjoyed my trips on the Street Rod. It was a surprisingly fun bike to travel on. The guys I traveled with commented on my manhood for traveling in the colder temps without a windshield. I just couldn't bring myself to put one on my Street Rod because I felt it ruined the lines.

Loved hearing about your trip, sounds like it was a lot of fun.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
I did 2650, and my Corbin was worth every penny! Windshield is mandatory! Bags help, too. Nice trip - thanks for posting. Joe

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the comments. Terrible gas mileage was about 30ish per gallong so with a 5 gallong tank that is 150 or so between fill ups. I pretty much stopped when the needle turned red so that is 120ish. My deuce gets over 40 so more range is nice. I have rented touring bikes before and the range on the tanks is much better.

I would recommend getting the engine crash bars and mount highway pegs. That is a little easier than hanging legs off the side bike going down the highway.

My recommendations after riding 3600 in 9 days on this bike.

1. Get a very comfortable seat
2. add a touring windshield. I never did it because it looks so dorky but riding I-90 through Big Horn in wind was the toughest riding I have ever done. Also, it would make the higway time more pleasurable.
3. get the engine guars and add highway pegs so you can stretch out.
4. Make sure you have a quiet pipe on there. I have the V&H indy pipe and it is way too loud. I have permanent hearing damage.

The great thing about this bike was how fast I could ride in curvy roads. I have rented Road Kings and Street Glides and they were dissapointing on curvy roads. It was fun to just rip it through mountain and canyon roads and really get the most out of the bike.

The Black Hills area is really nice. If you get up there, explore state roads 14a, 85 and 585.

Finally, it was fun blowing past other harley riders and getting double-takes once they realized what kind of bike it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have plans next spring to do a Washington D.C. to L.A x-country. I wasn't planning on using my "R" for the trip, but now you have me thinking that it may make the experience much more fun. I plan to take about three weeks to a month the make the trip, so it will be a lot easier going. The one thing that will be a deal killer IMO, is that I may do the trip 2 up. If I decide to go 2 up, I will plan to use another bike. On second thought, I may just have to leave the extra "baggage" at home so I can take the "R". lol.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good stuff. although the extra baggage might be fun to have around at night.

My thoughts are that through the midwest a cruiser is better since it is more comfortable and frames the scenery better.

The SR was much better once I hit the curvy roads and wanted to ride more agressively. I would recommend making it as comfortable as possible with a windshield and nice seat.

I cannot see traveling two up on that bike but I met a couple from VA at Devil's Tower that were on a two month bike trip around America on a Triumph Tiger. I am not sure how they could do it.

Your time frame should be pretty good. The US is a huge, huge place. Flying across country by plane in only 5 hours blows my mind.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the HD Sport windshield on my R and it works great. It follows the lines of the front end and keeps the wind off me at any speed. Had to get used to the top edge being so close to my face but it will pop off if you ever hit it hard(hope not to try it).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the info on the windshield. I should have asked before making the ride but I really never just ride the interstate for long periods until this trip.

·
Flybaz
30 Posts
European Touring

Hi there, just had my 3 year old (from new) VRSCR in for it's 35,000 service at West Coast Harley Davidson in Scotland. They fitted a SERT and a V&H 2 into 1. Sounds top and goes like a rocket. Did a 2.2k trip across Europe in 10 days a couple of years back and just planning the next trip. Similar time and distance, but different route through France and Switzerland to Italy and back through France. I use the standard saddle though I fitted the sundowner pillion saddle for my Mrs who suffered on the standard saddle on the first trip. I've also got a screen fitted and a small matching sissy bar, plus the soft panniers, the round bag for the rear rack and a tank bag. A Garmin Zumo 550 let me see my fuel, speed and mileage as the tank bag covers the clocks and the underseat tank means the tank bag stays put at fuel stops. An Autocom was a real bonus too. There's not a lot of space 2 up so we travelled pretty light. The VRSCR's a tough motor and has no problem with the load. Great fun and looking forward to the next trip :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Long rides have always been my favorite escapes.

If all goes well, I'll be taking the R on the next run to The Wall.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have that Quick Detach Touring windshield, with Turn signal Relocation and all hardware brand new if you want it. Let me know I've got a thread in the for marketplace.

mike

1 - 20 of 40 Posts