Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering having some engine work done this winter. Any recommendation on solid turn-key engine builders within 200 to 300 miles from Pittsburgh. I will need transmission work plus head, throttle body and possible stroker. Street and strip application. Any feedback on experieince with the builder, in achieving performance results, keeping schedule, quality of work, dealing with any post build issues, final cost compared to estimated cost.....

Thanks for the input...
Kevin

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Vreeland's Harley-Davidson
317 Montour Boulevard
Bloomsburg, PA
17815-8581
(570) 784-2453

Closed Mondays. Open Tue & Fri 9am-8pm; Wed-Thu 9am-6pm; Sat 9am-4pm

Ask for Rich or Ray Vreeland. Highly recommended.

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am considering having some engine work done this winter. Any recommendation on solid turn-key engine builders within 200 to 300 miles from Pittsburgh. I will need transmission work plus head, throttle body and possible stroker. Street and strip application. Any feedback on experieince with the builder, in achieving performance results, keeping schedule, quality of work, dealing with any post build issues, final cost compared to estimated cost..... Thanks for the input...
Kevin
Any experieince with Vreeland that you all can share....

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
i'd imagine this says enough

Attachments

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'd imagine this says enough
Well...... not actually - I seldom see bikes on the track on one wheel at the cashier's window...... plus they tend to break alot of parts. Could imply HP- at least momantarily ..... although good set-up and riding ....well, would expect two planted tires..... or slightly floating the front tire a bit....

But seriously, the questions on qualitiy, reliability, achieiving performance objective, delivering to schedule and budget are all areas of interest, flawless workmanship, no problems on delivery.... and if problems how follow-up is handled..... are very important to me as I try to decide where to have some work done.
Kevin

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
First of all you'd have to know the whole story behind that photo. Rich had just licensed on a new Nitro bike which is wide open throttle application. He hopped of the P/D bike and rode the V-Rod right away with a big air wheelie. He normally doesn't launch like that and is always competitive when on a V-Rod.

As far as after service I'm sure you will not find straighter shooters that Rich and Ray who quietly go about their business and really know their stuff.

I know for a fact they just dyno'd a recent V-Rod race build that was 199.3 HP.

Until recently when Rich moved up to a Pro Drag Nitro bike he was racing three V-Rods per event within the AHDRA for years.

Rich's brother Ray also builds a bunch of the motors for other competitors of theirs as well, in fact, 2 of their motors were in the Super Gas final this year at the AHDRA, Rockingham, season finals.

Perhaps Greg could chime in, I'm sure Ray just built a motor for one of his friends as well.

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Pat...... I do remember when they began racing the VRods - I believe in 2003 - although I have not been following things for the last few years..... therefore I have been out of the loop and not on top of who's who with VRod racing and builds over the past few years. I have some tranny issues that I need to address and would like too get some engine work done while I am at it..... but need flawless work. Thus input badly needed....
Kevin

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
First of all you'd have to know the whole story behind that photo. Rich had just licensed on a new Nitro bike which is wide open throttle application. He hopped of the P/D bike and rode the V-Rod right away with a big air wheelie. He normally doesn't launch like that and is always competitive when on a V-Rod.

As far as after service I'm sure you will not find straighter shooters that Rich and Ray who quietly go about their business and really know their stuff.

I know for a fact they just dyno'd a recent V-Rod race build that was 199.3HP.

Until recently when Rich moved up to a Pro Drag Nitro bike he was racing three V-Rods per event within the AHDRA for years.

Rich's brother Ray also builds a bunch of the motors for other competitors of theirs as well, in fact, 2 of their motors were in the Super Gas final this year at Rockingham.

Perhaps Greg could chime in, I'm sure Ray just built a motor for one of his friends as well.

I would add that they built V-Rod's that stayed together the entire race season.

Also, Rich will be in FL this week for bike testing so communication will be tough but I am sure possible.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
I would add that they built V-Rod's that stayed together the entire race season.

Also, Rich will be in FL this week for bike testing so communication will be tough but I am sure possible.
Ray'll still be at the shop in Rich's absence.

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I know for a fact they just dyno'd a recent V-Rod race build that was 199.3 HP.

Rich's brother Ray also builds a bunch of the motors for other competitors of theirs as well, in fact, 2 of their motors were in the Super Gas final this year at the AHDRA, Rockingham, season finals.

Well PAt....... I had that happen myself once....right after having the 1250 kit installed..... and I was convinced it was absolutely impossible to pull the front wheel off the ground.... I was doing first ...shake down runs at "Beaver Spring".... Well i grabbed a handful of throttle and dropped the clutch hard and damn if it didn't stand up..... and it inflicted some serious pain when it landed....... I will give Ray a call this week.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
LOL learned another whatnot did we? :)... You got more balls then me young turk :)... And you're going to a Busa, holy smokes you definetly love speed :)... Great pic!!!

that ain't me on that bike, thats "big rich" vreeland. he had just hoped off his nitro bike and got on the vrod. he still had nitro on the brain and dumped the clutch about 10K i'd imagine. if it were me there'd a been a poop trail behind it..............:rofl: i did pull my wheel up like that once.......once..........

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
that ain't me on that bike, thats "big rich" vreeland. he had just hoped off his nitro bike and got on the vrod. he still had nitro on the brain and dumped the clutch about 10K i'd imagine. if it were me there'd a been a poop trail behind it..............:rofl: i did pull my wheel up like that once.......once..........
Ah my bad :)... Had another senior moment :)... Man your up late or early, I ain't gone to bed yet :)... Have I said lately that I HATE FRIGG'EN WINTER!!!

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
yea, it was both, i's up late and got up early. i don't sleep much, don't sweat the senior moment. i hear the first thing to go when you get old is your memory, i remember what else..............

1 - 20 of 34 Posts