Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
fire up !
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
just finished washing the bike - 07DX
after wiping dry i switched ignition on and it displayed the current mileage (which i never use for daily display, it's default on trip meter A) then i flip the kill switch to 'run' position', same mileage still in display ... pushed the toggle button under the cluster several times but mileage keeps being displayed, yellow check engine light goes off normally
started the bike, no problems, engine light goes off normally, bike runs fine
run switch to off position and then a strange message : dI A9 ??? (it looks like a capital i bit could be a '1' also)
finally ignition to off : mileage again displayed with back light on...
next i do exactly the same thing all over again bit when ignition switch to off position no more mileage displayed, all dark (normal)...

now i've read all i could find on codes, posts/threads by members telling similar things after washing bikes and/or water in cluster but i could not find 1 post where somebody mentions that strange message 'dI A9'

anyone got a clue what this means and what's going on ?

whilst checking all this i noticed something else but it may not (probably won't) have anything to do with the above : when flipping the run switch to off, or, keep it in 'run' and just switch the ignition switch to off, i can hear a distinctive 'grunting' noise which i never heard - or noticed - before ... is this the sound of a depressurizing fuel system ? is that a normal sound ?

ps : since the toggle button does not react to anything i cannot even try to read any codes

thanks for any thoughts/tips
grtz

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
You have water in the trip reset switch. It is a problem when using a hose and getting water in the cluster housing. All clusters have to be vented because of moisture and if you spray the cluster water will get into it and the switch is in the bottom of the housing. THe reason diag came up is because the ciruit is closed like your holding it when you turn the switch on. Usually they dry out on there own fine in a couple of hours or you can pull the cluster and dry it.

·
fire up !
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Max said:
You have water in the trip reset switch. It is a problem when using a hose and getting water in the cluster housing. All clusters have to be vented because of moisture and if you spray the cluster water will get into it and the switch is in the bottom of the housing. THe reason diag came up is because the ciruit is closed like your holding it when you turn the switch on. Usually they dry out on there own fine in a couple of hours or you can pull the cluster and dry it.
thank you all for these reassuring responses ! odd that some members had their clusters replaced under warranty by their dealers so HD knows about this ... will contact mine asap

Max, any thoughts on that 'grunting' noise when switching the ignition off ? anything to worry about ? must say that the pressurizing when switching on sounds 100% normal, a normal steady short buzz

thanks & grtz
Dirk

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
When you switch the key on you should get a buzz, that is the fuel system priming. Should last 3-5 seconds. You might get a ticking or slight buzz noise when you turn it off as solenoids de-energize but thats about it.

·
Banned
837 Posts
My display did the same thing the other day after a heavy rain. I got the DIAG message, and then it stayed on the odometer. THe whole thing cleared up the next morning.

·
fire up !
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Max said:
You might get a ticking or slight buzz noise when you turn it off as solenoids de-energize but thats about it.
mornin' all, +/- 10 hours later and indeed, back to normal... alright ! :cool:

but when switch turned off, it sounds more like a percolator that's just finished its cycle, you know, that typical purring sound, only shorter, would have thought that solenoids make a more 'electrical' sound like Max described

thx !

·
biker_software
2 Posts
Similar problem

All, after a period of prolonged illness I am finally on the mend and getting the bike out of mothballs. I am encountering a very similar problem to this. The speedo will display "diag" after a few minutes running. It also seems to randomly change to km instead of miles and the trip reset button is unresponsive.

I would say it is moisture in the cluster or the switch but I have not washed the bike since I mothballed it in 2011.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any recommendations for things I should check?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Wow, talk about resurrecting an old thread.
5 years must be a new record. :D

I am glad you are back on your feet.

I would check the strength of the battery.
Is it fully juiced?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
All, after a period of prolonged illness I am finally on the mend and getting the bike out of mothballs. I am encountering a very similar problem to this. The speedo will display "diag" after a few minutes running. It also seems to randomly change to km instead of miles and the trip reset button is unresponsive.

I would say it is moisture in the cluster or the switch but I have not washed the bike since I mothballed it in 2011.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any recommendations for things I should check? ...
It's most likely a bad switch. You can try using some spray can contact cleaner or replace the switch. HD P/N is 67854-98.

·
biker_software
2 Posts
Thanks guys. I will try cleaning out the switch and see what happens.

The battery was a little low but after charging is holding a steady 12.8v.

As for resurrecting an old thread...if the shoe fits!!

Thanks again guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts