Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

A couple of days ago, I noticed that only the top radiator fan was spinning while I was stopped at a red light. I know both fans are supposed to run at the same time so something was not right. I did some tests this weekend to troubleshoot the issue. The first test I did was to pull the main fuse and wait a while before putting it back on. When I put the main fuse back on, both fans started spinning. In the second test, I swapped the electrical connectors for the two fans and let the bike warm up to operating temperature. Only the top fan started spinning again when the coolant got hot enough and the bottom one remained idle.

The bottom fan rotates freely by the way when I push it with my fingers while the bike is off. I also checked the error codes and I am not getting any. Any ideas about what might be going on here? Is there anything else I can try?

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Hi guys,

A couple of days ago, I noticed that only the top radiator fan was spinning while I was stopped at a red light. I know both fans are supposed to run at the same time so something was not right. I did some tests this weekend to troubleshoot the issue. The first test I did was to pull the main fuse and wait a while before putting it back on. When I put the main fuse back on, both fans started spinning. In the second test, I swapped the electrical connectors for the two fans and let the bike warm up to operating temperature. Only the top fan started spinning again when the coolant got hot enough and the bottom one remained idle.

The bottom fan rotates freely by the way when I push it with my fingers while the bike is off. I also checked the error codes and I am not getting any. Any ideas about what might be going on here? Is there anything else I can try?
Probably the fan motor has a dead spot. Both share the same electrical power and swapping the leads gave the same results so you ruled that out. You could rig up a test light bulb to the lower fan plug while hooked to the fan motor and see if there is current for the light bulb but no fan operation. Then you know it's the motor . No light bulb or fan, likely wiring and a wiggle test is in order when the fan should be running. Right where it connects to the motor. Key off and then rotating the fan blade slightly, it might move the dead spot so it will start on the next test assuming the wiring checks out.
Fans likely won't throw any codes unless it's relay related.
Ron

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ron, thanks for the suggestions. I just got back after riding around the bike a bit this afternoon. I paid close attention to the cooling fans while stopped at traffic lights. Actually, it turns out that the bottom fan does spin sometimes and remains idle at other times. Does this observation provide more evidence for a dead spot in the fan motor?

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Ron, thanks for the suggestions. I just got back after riding around the bike a bit this afternoon. I paid close attention to the cooling fans while stopped at traffic lights. Actually, it turns out that the bottom fan does spin sometimes and remains idle at other times. Does this observation provide more evidence for a dead spot in the fan motor?
Possible I guess but normally a dead spot will remain unless somewhere along the line the motor turned. There's not enough air going through the rad to rotate the blades from it's stopped position from what I've seen. I guess you could paint dot one of the blades and note if stops in one spot where it won't start again but I'm suspecting it's more of a poor connection problem and vibration reconnects it. Still down to the two possible causes. Paint dot will also confirm if in fact air going through the rad will rotate the blades some.
You could also try when it's not running and the top is, rotating the blade to see if it starts. I'd recommend a blow gun and compressed air for that blade rotating task, not fingers or plastic straws. I'm not asking to check each fan wiring from the main harness plugs because you swapped them and the bottom fan issue remained. Testing from fan plug to motor might be worth it.
Ron

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
If you need a new fan, you can order one direct from Spal Fans (www.spalusa.com) instead of screwing around at a dealership.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Which one of those 5.2 fan motors will fit into the existing OEM fan frame hole and have the mounting screw bolt circles match up? There are no size specs posted on the site.
Ron
My data shows SPAL VA31-A101-46A (SPAL P/N 30103011) as the correct item for replacing the discontinued HD P/N 26724-01 for the early '02 and '03 VRSCA individual fans.

The '04 and newer dual units (P/N 26724-04) is SPAL 2VA58-A101-46A that doesn't show up on their site.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
My data shows SPAL VA31-A101-46A (SPAL P/N 30103011) as the correct item for replacing the discontinued HD P/N 26724-01 for the early '02 and '03 VRSCA individual fans.

The '04 and newer dual units (P/N 26724-04) is SPAL 2VA58-A101-46A that doesn't show up on their site.
That number fan cannot be found anywhere but in the OEM replacement unit. That' why I asked. I don't have issue with removing and pressing on a blade but don't think a one unit fan SPAL 2VA58-A101-46A can be bought individually.
Ron

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
That number fan cannot be found anywhere but in the OEM replacement unit. That' why I asked. I don't have issue with removing and pressing on a blade but don't think a one unit fan SPAL 2VA58-A101-46A can be bought individually.
Ron
I found a "How To" by Danno on this. He does mention that only HD can sell the SPAL 2VA58-A101-46A but suggests that the newer dual unit could be back dated to using two separate single fans if you can come up with a mounting bracket that mimics the early version.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
I found a "How To" by Danno on this. He does mention that only HD can sell the SPAL 2VA58-A101-46A but suggests that the newer dual unit could be back dated to using two separate single fans if you can come up with a mounting bracket that mimics the early version.
Yes, I've seen that post too. After looking at my 13 the only provision for mounting is the hole in the graphite frame. Too much of a pain to take existing early model fans and find a way to proffessanaly bolt them on. Now if the motor mounting screws are the same spacing and the motor od is the same that would be the ticket. The fans being pressed on is no issue. They can be pressed on and off if needed, given the tools.
Seems, the search continues for a direct frame drop in motors on these late model units.
Ron

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To provide an update about my situation, today I sprayed some compressed air onto the idle lower fan blades while only the top fan was running. The lower fan fired up right away after the compressed air rotated it a bit. So it looks like a bad lower fan motor. My bike is a 13 DX so I need to buy a whole new fan assembly unit for the replacement. The 2013 service manual does not say anything about removing the radiator for the fan replacement and makes it look like an easy job. Is there a trick to getting to the top bolt of the fan assembly? It looks like it might be in a bad spot.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
To provide an update about my situation, today I sprayed some compressed air onto the idle lower fan blades while only the top fan was running. The lower fan fired up right away after the compressed air rotated it a bit. So it looks like a bad lower fan motor. My bike is a 13 DX so I need to buy a whole new fan assembly unit for the replacement. The 2013 service manual does not say anything about removing the radiator for the fan replacement and makes it look like an easy job. Is there a trick to getting to the top bolt of the fan assembly? It looks like it might be in a bad spot.
That's a pain. 1/4" drive universal, socket and extension and lots of 4 letter words. You might even invent a few. Remove lower rad plate, swing rad forward and it should drop out the bottom. I would slip some bristle board paper in between the fans and rad fins first to prevent damage.
Just pisses me off that one has to buy the whole unit. Once you get it apart, can you post fan motor dimensions that slip into the mount hole. Second option, I'll pay shipping if you send it to me .
I can then go on a mighty quest for replaceable single motors.
Ron

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.