Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yeah I was playing around with the exhaust the other day.

Have/ Do any of you MONSTERS ever ran/ run a non baffled or a straight pipe?

This mudda fuka sounds insanely loud and crazy rolling through gears. WOT scares children and idle sounds menacing. Got lots of thumbs up and looks but you definitely need ear plugs with this. My friends refused to ride on my right hand side lol

·
VRSC est -03
3,402 Posts
Akrapovic here too, my Street Rod:
Did a dyno run in non baffled version. Stupid loud. Bolted back the silencer again, did a new dyno run and the silencer stole 8 hp..! Well, can`t get everything in life.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The only way I roll! Sound is addictive but I also love muscle cars, go figure.......

Thought about getting a set of baffles for the occasion I may want them but haven't found a real desire yet. Not too bad when taking it easy but open her up and oh mama hold on to your rooster.

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
Oh, your neighbors are gonna just love you.:laugh::laugh: My "X" has the Ground Pounders on it and my neighbors can hear them coming from about 5 blocks away. Can't take that one out if I'm coming home late.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Knut J you just confirmed my long time suspicion that the Akrapovic pipes power increase is limited by the Euro Spec muffler - they don't even advertise very much of an increase on their website. So of course that begs the question has anyone fitted up another less restrictive muffler to try to retain some back pressure & torque while getting some of the open pipe Hp increase ? 8 Hp is a lot to loose with a muffler but what did the torque do ? Did it go up with the muffler ? Thanks - My BuB7 is pretty loud but bearable below 4500 Rpm but after that well yea, hearing damage - my right ear can no longer hear the ceiling fan when sleeping, and 40 years of airplane noise didn't help, but the V Rod finished it off. Thinking about adding a Supertrapp 12 -16 disc assy. in place of the end cap, it will fit right in and retain flow while cutting the noise.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
So CycleSavage how many discs seemed best ? Did you use an Open or Closed end cap ? Did it cut the obnoxious noise maybe 20% or what ? If so I'm doing it I just need less noise while accessing the great high RPM REVO power, thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oh, your neighbors are gonna just love you.:laugh::laugh: My "X" has the Ground Pounders on it and my neighbors can hear them coming from about 5 blocks away. Can't take that one out if I'm coming home late.
Oh, they're used to it. I have basically the same pipes on my VStar for the last 10 yrs, maybe even shorter. I only idle down the street so it's pretty tame till I turn......

Then they can hear me off in the distance for 5 miles...... LOL

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Sounds good CycleSavage that's what I was going to start with then go to closed end cap if needed - my bike sounds great @ lower RPM acceleration and reverbs nicely pulling power under overpasses, its just the upper half of the RPM range that enters the ear splitting obnoxious zone that needs a little taming, and I don't want to loose flow & power so I think I'll try it, thanks -

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Yea CycleSavage the noise would seem to go farther back with the open end cap but actually Supertrapp states that the open end cap is like adding 6 Discs which reduces backpressure and increases noise. If you haven't already you might want to install the closed end cap and check it out if its still a little too loud that might make it just right. ( If you do let everyone here know ) :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yup strait is crazy loud!!! I got these pipes from Arglebargle on the forum and love them! Kids dont melt their shoes on the factory slips and it doesnt sound like a tinny crotch rocket anymore.

Im pretty deaf from a wild youth but my wife says these are wicked loud and so do my riding buddies.

I think Ill order these: https://www.denniskirk.com/khrome-werks/2-in-hp-plus-drag-pipe-baffles-202032.ph44563.prd/H44563.sku

Then it needs to go back to the dyno for a good tune to smooth out a few dead spots.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Looks good Karl, I've always wanted to see two Carbon Fiber mufflers fitted to a V Rod, with the Akro it would take an adapter from one pipe to 2 but with yours - maybe just an upward bend staggered between those two pipes and VOILA instant super cool looking and sounding system, back mount strap them to the footpeg bracket like stock - Just Sayin' - ( maybe after your drag pipe baffle install ? : )

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have 2 1/4" slip-on slash cut open pipes behind the stock head pipes. Used an old skool drag pipe trick of welding a big flat washer on the head of a 5/16" bolt and putting the bolt/washer 1 1/2" from the end of the pipe. The washer can be turned to dial in back pressure and sound level.
I have mine turned 1/3 from edge on. Takes the snap out of the exhaust note and the seat of the pants dyno says it pulls just as hard. Not to mention the pipes are Kool!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.