Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Black Beauty Rider
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the fact my V-Rod can go well over 100 mph but it scares the crap out of me after that speed. I'm too old to have my face skin pushed behind my head. And no I only wear a helmet when I'm touring using my RKC. I want to go 0 to 100 QUICKLY. I'm more of a stop light to stop light type rider when I'm town.

My '04 has a 28 tooth sprocket already. Can I go to a 26 or 27 tooth with a new belt or a third wheel belt tensioner? Will this get me the performance for light to light? If so, does anybody make this sprocket?

Thanks, I would appreciate any input.

Fred

·
Registered
974 Posts
There a a couple guys here that have converted to Chain/sprocket set ups. They will surely read this and give you the heads up !
BobT

·
FASTESTSTKBLTDRV
1,267 Posts
I Have A Company That Is Making 26-tooth Sprockets As Soon As
They Firm Up Pricing I Will Post It.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
If Going over 100 scares you then don't put a chain on her.Even with out the nitrous my bike screams to 100 as fast as any gsxr 1000!I would get a shorter fat rear tire and that will give you some more gear.Put a good pipe / topless,and tune up on her and you should be fine! ;)

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Oldhd -- I have the configuration Kaz suggests. Could I be any quicker off the line -- sure, but I want to keep my license. The 'Rod is plenty quick for the street. And with V-Mods you'll sound like you own the street.

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
OldHD "I'm too old to have my face skin pushed behind my head."

Yes, but you'll be looking younger without a facelift while we will be stretching ours prematurely. Don't you find that interesting? No? Wear a full face helmet.

Nah! I'd go with Kaz's recc's.

·
Black Beauty Rider
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thunderheader info update

I emailed Steve at Main Street and he said Rich Products will release the Thunderheader around mid-February for the public. I told him I would check back in a couple weeks for availability and pricing. I also told him I would be interested in the black ceramic pipe on my black V-Rod to keep that dark look. I'll keep everyone posted ...........

By the way, I'm thinking of getting the wheels powder coated black with the exception of the outside edges. What do you think? Any recommendations?

·
Black Beauty Rider
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ooooops!

Sorry, I posted in the wrong thread ..................... It should be in 'Thunderheader Now Availible'.

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
HEy Rick - good to see you posting - you need to do an intro of yourself and your racing program - You will be a great add to this community. I am interested in the 26 tooth - if they are at a reasonable price I will start with that setup this year instead of playing with the chain for now. Tell me when you get a price. Great to have you on board.
Kevin

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
oldhd said:
Sorry, I posted in the wrong thread ..................... It should be in 'Thunderheader Now Availible'.
No you didn't! It'll help stoplight quickness :laugh: . I think it'll look awesome on that black V-Rod and who knows? It'll look faster as well. Of the new colored V-Rods I would only get a black one :diablo: . HOT mama!

·
FASTESTSTKBLTDRV
1,267 Posts
Rick My Intro

kspz3 said:
HEy Rick - good to see you posting - you need to do an intro of yourself and your racing program - You will be a great add to this community. I am interested in the 26 tooth - if they are at a reasonable price I will start with that setup this year instead of playing with the chain for now. Tell me when you get a price. Great to have you on board.
Kevin

I'am a service manager at a harley dealership,I race my personal
v-rod in the street bike class at our local track.I'am also in
charge of the shops v-rod that we race in the pro class and street bike
at our track.Combined both bikes have over 200 pass's down the track.
Our pro v-rod finished the year 12 out of 30 racers(we missed 6 races
because the rider was in the hospital) starting the year with 12.20 passes
ending running consistant 10.80s.The best [email protected] m.p.h.
We played with gearing and tune-up all year.My v-rod won the 100m.p.h
eliminator street bike class.(100 m.p.h. min.in the1/4)
I weigh 230 lbs so i was never very quick but very consistant.
Both bikes are being big bored right now one at eagle h.d. one at
zippers.(machine work)I'll run the belt pulley on mine for the track.
Leave the chain on the other.(having 20 tooth front sprocket made.)
I could go on and on about last year but this is just an intro.

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
It is great to have you here Rick -I am sure that many will come to value your advise as they find out just how much knowledge you have - it is always good to bring in additional expertise, and folks that like this stuff. I know that there are many here that will look forward to hearing about your experiencewith the big bore as well as the wealth of developmental knowledge that you have gained building and tuning those VRods.
Kevin

·
4,638 Posts
Rick,
Good to have you here on the forum hope that you can share some of your knowledge with all of us. Thanks for all the information on the phone today... I promise I will bring it up over 5000 rpm ........
:moped: :moped: :moped:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Rick,
It's always Nice to Meet other Racers.I'm a little on the Extreme side"Heads Up Type" trying to see just how fast these Bikes can go!Always willing to Help! :kaz:

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Rick Nielson said:
I'am a service manager at a harley dealership,I race my personal
v-rod in the street bike class at our local track.I'am also in
charge of the shops v-rod that we race in the pro class and street bike
at our track.Combined both bikes have over 200 pass's down the track.
Our pro v-rod finished the year 12 out of 30 racers(we missed 6 races
because the rider was in the hospital) starting the year with 12.20 passes
ending running consistant 10.80s.The best [email protected] m.p.h.
We played with gearing and tune-up all year.My v-rod won the 100m.p.h
eliminator street bike class.(100 m.p.h. min.in the1/4)
I weigh 230 lbs so i was never very quick but very consistant.
Both bikes are being big bored right now one at eagle h.d. one at
zippers.(machine work)I'll run the belt pulley on mine for the track.
Leave the chain on the other.(having 20 tooth front sprocket made.)
I could go on and on about last year but this is just an intro.

Rick,
Can you list ALL the mods that were done to accomplish 10.80's please. I know of no other normally aspirated V-Rod running sub 11's w/o a BB kit.

Thanks in advance,
John

P.S. My best is a lowly 11.29 @ 119 mph

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
It is a skinny guy thing John - :) There was a fellow out of columbus that ran a 10.8 on well set-up and tuned bike. and also Sam's had a slightly bored set-up in the 10's and there was a fellow from Tennesse that does not eat enough that was also in the tens on AHDRA circuit - starved the bike also - making it very light - I also count you and your machine as among the malnourished - as your set-up in around 750 lbs bike and rider isn't it? Kaz is also in the malnourished, underweight overachievers. All of you light weights need to put on some weight (and your bikes too...)so that you can hang out with the BIG DOGS.......
TAke care - John you will enjoy hearing about some of Rick's past and future setups.
Kevin

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
750 lbs is correct Kevin.

Rick's et was much better than mine but his mph was only slightly better. I didn't think my 60ft time (1.686) was that shabby :(. My goal will be 10.60's or so with a BB kit this summer. :)

John

1 - 20 of 54 Posts