Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they full of crap, or maybe its just me? My '07 DX is only a couple months old, and has 500 miles on it... well, I've now been indoctrinated to the '07 fuel gauge problems.

Filled up last week, full tank, yet it only reads 3/4 tank... did a search, found that many of you have fuel gauge problems, called my dealer service department and they said they havent heard of any fuel gauge problems with the '07's?

I told them its not just me, several '07's on 1130cc seem to have the same problem and that HD is aware of it.... "nope, we've never heard of any problems with the fuel gauge"?

Are they feeding me a load of crap or what?

I told them I wanted to come in for an oil change, they said 1st service isnt until 1000 miles, I said yes I know but I wanted to do it early... their attitude was like they didnt want to take my money? Fine, I'll find another dealer and closer.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wow, who did you talk to. I live in Milledgeville but ride to stone mountain to do anything with my bike. They are by far the best HD dealer in GA. But i guess thats not saying much is it.... you may also want to check with granite mountain in conyers they are owned by the same person and have been user friendly also.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's possible they have not heard about it ... and what do you expect them to do about it anyway? There is no real fix. People have been getting their bikes "fixed" (usually with lengthy delays) and you read post after post about how the fix was a waste of time.

Everyone who complains about the fuel gauge gets the same response ... use the trip computer until a real fix is found ... there is nothing they can do but throw needless parts at the problem ...

It's a shitty problem, but what can you do ... enjoy the bike and be glad that you have one to ride ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I for one feel your frustration. My dealer is not different to yours. They either don't admit something or don't want my money. Bizarre.

·
Registered
683 Posts
500 miles on the ODO is what, like, 3 fill-ups in "a couple of months" ?

maybe thats why they don't take you so seriously.
:hidesbeh:

don't sweat it ... nobody's guage seems to work right, and if it does, as soon as they tell us all that "mine works great - no problems!" , two days later they post that it's all gone to sh*t !!!

:D

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Not sure if it helps or not but on my 07 I found that if I fill the tank up while the key switch is still on that it almost always reads the wrong fuel level but if I make sure I turn the key switch off during fueling and then turn it back on when finished and ready to leave it has always read correct. Got around 2500 miles on it at the moment.

As for Stone Mountian don't know to much about them, took my Bike training classes over there but have never really used them for any service. I normally go over to Killer Creek or Fraziers.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My gauge is quirky.....it seem it works great when the bike is cool or the weather in cold. On long rides or hot days when the bike get hot the gauge doesn't work right. Sooo I do what I do on my '88 softail that does not have a gauge. I use the trip odo. At a certain point I fill up as I know it is time by the miles.....

1,501 Posts
Soda said:
I for one feel your frustration. My dealer is not different to yours. They either don't admit something or don't want my money. Bizarre.
You really should try Warr's in Mottingham, not sure what they are like since the sad loss of Gerry but they did anything i wanted including key relocation on my 06 which they had never heard of but they did it never the less (I did give them instructions from here).

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
alabama said:
500 miles on the ODO is what, like, 3 fill-ups in "a couple of months" ?

maybe thats why they don't take you so seriously.
:hidesbeh:

don't sweat it ... nobody's guage seems to work right, and if it does, as soon as they tell us all that "mine works great - no problems!" , two days later they post that it's all gone to sh*t !!!

:D
Yeap!! Seriously, that is what happened to mine!

·
A Beautiful Country
181 Posts
Hey mine must be self repairing. It didn't work right from day one. I would fill up, and the gauge would read 3/4, or I would be just about empty, according to the trip meter, and the gauge would say 1/2 tank. I also found that I could shut the bike off, at 1/2 tank, and when I restarted it, it would drop to 1/4 tank. Now it works just fine. not sure why, it just does. Maybe if you wait around the bike will fix itself just like mine did. stranger things have happened.

I have never relied on the gauge, not even in my trucks. I have always used the trip meter. Just better safe than sorry.

On a side note, I have also noticed that my bike gets better mileage now, than it did during the break in period. I broke it in according to the MoCo instructions, so if anything I am in the throttle quite a bit more than I was before. Strange bike, but I love it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts