Anybody got their bike stolen in few last year ??:soapbox:
did you had an alarm ? chain ? wire ? whatever

i don't hear about much stolen bike here in montreal and surrounding

your tought

M.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
I believe eBay is loaded with stolen parts form every make/model including the V-Rod but in general they are not high on the piece-o-shit thieves list as say a Busa or standard Harley. It can happen.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I haven't heard too much about HDs getting stolen. Quite a few sportbikes though, since they're only 400lbs.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Not high on Stolen list

The VROD is not a highly stolen item. Basically, the less common the bike or car, the least likely it is to be stolen.

Most vehicles that are stolen, parted out and sold in parts.
Hence the term "chop shop".

Japenese sport bikes and air cooled Harley Davidson's are hot items to be stolen.

Los Angeles has often been the #1 stolen vehicle market in the U.S.

With that in mind I would always recommend safeguarding your valuables. Alarms in my opinion are worthless. So many of them go off, no one pays attention.

A "Vehicle recovery" system like LoJack is worthwhile. LoJack in the LA area has a very high recovery rate.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I believe eBay is loaded with stolen parts form every make/model including the V-Rod but in general they are not high on the piece-o-shit thieves list as say a Busa or standard Harley. It can happen.
I agree with your assessment of eBay. the company can do much more to prevent it but it would cut into their sales. They just let it go......

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ebay............

I've had good and bad experiences with Ebay. In my opinion there are three levels of products and sellers on Ebay:
1) Honest people that are selling a legitimate product that is worth what they are asking for it.
2) Semi-Shady people that have products that photograph well but really are not worth what they are asking for it because it can't be can't be detected in the poor photographs. This leads to six months of arbitration until someone gives in or gives up. The shady guy always wins because he's a pro at selling garbage!
3) Sellers that are criminals and use Ebay as the biggest fence for stolen products on the planet. These products can not usually be traced because of lack of serial numbers or other identification methods. Ebay could give a damn about these people or stolen items because they make their money regardless.

Listen, I've been involved in arbitration with a type two seller and the problem is that Ebay runs the arbitration and after wasting months of your time, if one of the complaintents doesn't back down, they consider it unsolveable and just close the case. My problem is two fold, first you can't talk to anyone with Ebay. They have no phone number when it comes to disputes and second if you do get taken or ripped off, the slimeball will leave you a cancerous feedback and ruin you're history on Ebay for LIFE or until you open another account under a false name and new email address. I've learned to buy nothing except new products from a brand name that is proven as great products, period.
Respectfully,
Ed

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
A friend had his Road King stolen from the Applebee's parking lot while he was eating lunch. That was Myrtle Beach Bike Week 2 years ago.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Bike Week and "Biker" rallys don't count. We all know those events are shopping sprees for bike thieves

·
Registered
329 Posts
Bike Week and "Biker" rallys don't count. We all know those events are shopping sprees for bike thieves
:them:

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
'They" say the least sought after motorcycles for stealing are customized because they can be traced more easily.Honda is the most common brand to be stolen.Motorcycle theft has declined in the past year,but "they" fail to tell us that the figures are in coordination with the decline in sales.

The smartest way to protect any vehicle against thievery,is to get the rules in writing from the company that is insuring the vehicle.This way if and when it does get stolen,you won't be caught in the red tape from the company trying to weasel out of their contract.

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A friend had his Road King stolen from the Applebee's parking lot while he was eating lunch. That was Myrtle Beach Bike Week 2 years ago.
wow quite a big bike to steal, lots of parts to spare and demand is better on the bagger these days. must be a crappy felling to see your bike gone

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
i see Jap bikes getting stolen all the time. The rarer the bike the less chance. Its easier to trace and harder to sell parts for it. Likeif someone stole my triumph? WOuldnt be hard to track em..its a small community.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think the only thing worse than finding your bike gone is what I went through when my Honda got stolen about 5 years ago. I got to watch it happen on video at my job over and over again.... Since I was doing security at the time and had my bike on camera. Just happened to be out of the office when it happened. But I got to see the reply... bastards.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Part of me would be quite OK with the V getting stolen. It would be the perfect excuse for a new bike purchase

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Part of me would be quite OK with the V getting stolen. It would be the perfect excuse for a new bike purchase
give us your address:angeldev:

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
wow quite a big bike to steal, lots of parts to spare and demand is better on the bagger these days. must be a crappy felling to see your bike gone
That was my point...broad daylight theft of a 700 pound bike in the presence of 1000's of people...this theft "counts" more than a middle of the night stealth theft.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
That was my point...broad daylight theft of a 700 pound bike in the presence of 1000's of people...this theft "counts" more than a middle of the night stealth theft.
A van, 4 guys and about 30 seconds......gone! Even the baggers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts