Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
New but Old!
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like feedback on progressive 440's.
Smoother ride?
Smoother ride 2-up?
Better on bumps / shitty roads?

Not looking for turn or lean performance as much as a nicer ride.

I will measure but is the stock length 12"?

·
Non-stop-rider
889 Posts
I put 440's on recently and I love them. I also installed their fork springs. The ride is much smoother and not as freakin' choppy as the stock shocks were. I haven't done a ton of riding two up with them, but when I did it did feel better.

·
Rolling Thunder
1,329 Posts
I have had stockers, 440's and Arnott's.

440's hands down but Arnott's look cool and i need em cause my bike is slammed.

If my bike didnt need em id still have him, yup..Id rather look good than feel good. ;)

·
INFANTRYMAN
715 Posts
I have 440's on mine, and my buddy has Arnott's on his. He keeps his bike at my house while deployed. He is a single Soldier, so he lives in the barracks. Where I have a house on FT. Bragg.

He bought his for the slammed look, and I bought mine for the feel. And hands down mine feel so much better. Also when the wife rides with me on his bike it doesn't handle the bumbs all that well with the extra weight even when raised all the way up. Where mine do with no prob.

If you slam it while riding, you lose all kinds of turning, so the only decent time to have it slammed is when it's sitting. And kind of stupid to drop that amount of coin just to make it look cool while parked. You can ride it slammed, but it sucks and doesn't give you the kind of control one should have while riding a bike around town.

Trust me when I say go with 440's, price and handling beats out the look any day.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
I have 440's on mine, and my buddy has Arnott's on his. He keeps his bike at my house while deployed. He is a single Soldier, so he lives in the barracks. Where I have a house on FT. Bragg.

He bought his for the slammed look, and I bought mine for the feel. And hands down mine feel so much better. Also when the wife rides with me on his bike it doesn't handle the bumbs all that well with the extra weight even when raised all the way up. Where mine do with no prob.

If you slam it while riding, you lose all kinds of turning, so the only decent time to have it slammed is when it's sitting. And kind of stupid to drop that amount of coin just to make it look cool while parked. You can ride it slammed, but it sucks and doesn't give you the kind of control one should have while riding a bike around town.

Trust me when I say go with 440's, price and handling beats out the look any day.

I find my Arnotts to be great. Getting to know how to adjust them is key. Just raising and lowering does not do it. I have no issues riding around town slammed. But when I want to ride the twisties, i can adjust. To each their own. I for one, feel like it was NOT dumb to spend the coin on them. I consider the Arnotts as an appearance and a performance upgrade. The 440's are performance only. BTW, how sweet is it to have 2 DX's sitting in the garage?

·
INFANTRYMAN
715 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I think the Arnotts are good shocks, just way to much for what they do. I have the coin to drop on those, and then some.

But I for one feel that the 440's going over bumps is a much nicer feeling of impact/shock adsorption. The Arrnotts aren't that hard to adjust, but playing with my buddies I haven't found a setting in height, or psi that comes close to the 440's.

When i spoke of turning radius, it's a major difference. And not just compaired to my 440's. But also if they are slammed or all the way up. With them all the way up you have a lot more to play with. Been riding since I was nine, and 33 now. So I have the time and experience to tell it makes a difference to have them up. When I speak of this, I think of U turns and what not. Normal corners aren't a big deal.

As for having two in the garage, it's ok. Allows me to ride each one but I do like mine a lot more than the orange one.

Again shocks are just like bikes, cars, guns, etc. In the end it comes down to personal preference, so i would suggest finding people with each set up and seeing if they would be willing to allow you to ride them in a empty parking lot Venuss.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I think the Arnotts are good shocks, just way to much for what they do. I have the coin to drop on those, and then some.

But I for one feel that the 440's going over bumps is a much nicer feeling of impact/shock adsorption. The Arrnotts aren't that hard to adjust, but playing with my buddies I haven't found a setting in height, or psi that comes close to the 440's.

Air shocks do not have the technology afforded in the Progressive line and other makers. They serve a purpose, not saying they are bad but you will not get a shock like the 440 out of an air shock. If it's about looks then so be it.

·
Billy
3,464 Posts
I've had Smooth Rides and 440's and now Arnotts.

The Smooth Rides to me were crab. Granted, they are the best looking shock out there IMO but you couldn't pay me to put a set back on my bike.

The 440's are great shocks. You can't go wrong with them. I switched to Arnotts to be able to slam the bike. Like others have said, once you get the feel for adjusting them they are a nice ride. They handle better than stock.

If I was looking for the most comfortable ride, especially 2-up, I would go with the stock height 440's. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
51 Posts
For those with the Progressives my stock size is 13 inches and the progressives for the front and back drop the bike an inch. How does this affect your handling. I have mid controls and am constantly dragging my toes in the corners. Will the loss of the inch affect it to much?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
pretty certain Progressive offers the 440s in stock lengths... PM v-shop, he is a retailer of theirs

·
VRSCDX Comuter
392 Posts
I got the 440s and springs in front from progressive which dropped the bike one inch. Performance is waayyy better than stock. Only issue I have with my shocks now is that because of the one inch drop I'm not able to get my lift under the bike anymore...also I don't find 2 up working with the bike dropped that much. As I do most of my riding solo I don't mind. Naturally I can't lean as much as with stockers in the bends but the amount of lean I have works ok even when going with speed...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts