Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

I've had the bike for over 2mo now and I understand why people rant and rave about how the stock shocks are so sh*tty. :paper:
I want to change out the front and rear shocks.
My question is what is the stock length for the rear shocks on the DX?

Thanks for everyone's help.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
:popcorn

Once you find out the length, who do you plan to go with? Progressive 440's?
I think the DX would look badass lowered a couple inches...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
myvrodrocks said:
:popcorn

Once you find out the length, who do you plan to go with? Progressive 440's?
I think the DX would look badass lowered a couple inches...
That's exactly what I want to do is lower the bike but I want to find out the stock height so I can go from there. I was looking at the 440's... they seem pretty nice and along with the front end kit... it should give the DX a badd-a$$ stance.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The stock shocks are 12.5" and the bike already has a lower stance than other V-Rods from the factory. If ya lower it 2" I believe you'll have problems in corners as it already can be fairly easy to drag pegs. I just installed Progressive 440's, but I went with 13", can't really see the difference on the bike, but I'd like just a little more corner clearence. I also went with stock length fork springs, but haven't got them installed yet. Another guy here in Nashville went with 12" 412's and he likes that set up, but I believe thats about as low as they offer. You probably could raise the forks in the triple tree to get the same effect as that would lower the bike and if you didn't like it you could easily change back.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Air rides ?

Ive heard about air ride suspension that you can adjust the ride height on at the press of a button.
Are these any good for the 2007 DX and if so which are the best. ?
Im concerned that the rear tyre would rub on the fender if it were lowered but the idea of lifting the bike for the twisties then lowering for general
about town use has its appeal
Any ideas out there.

·
knit whit
1,413 Posts
I had the AirFX air ride put in but just sent the cylinders back to have bump stops put in after I had an issue with the rear bottoming out with the fender.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
NorcalNiteRod said:
OK,

I've had the bike for over 2mo now and I understand why people rant and rave about how the stock shocks are so sh*tty. :paper:
I want to change out the front and rear shocks.
My question is what is the stock length for the rear shocks on the DX?

Thanks for everyone's help.
If you want the stock height and are going to use the progressive 440s, you need to order the 13" shocks.. They are exactly the same length as the stock shocks when both measured off the bike.h

As far as lowering the front by sliding the forks up in the tripple clamps as suggested above, that WILL change the handling of the bike. The height they are set in the tripple clamps is important unless you are trying to change how the steering works/feels.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stupid queston: So if the progressives 12inch the same height as the stock DX, then if I wanted to lower my bike 1" I would need the progressive 11inch.

Am I right on that one?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yannis60 said:
Do not lower the bike!!!! Go for *********** shocks.
*********** shocks?
Sounds like I have to be a KKK member for those.... jkjk

Why not lower the bike?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
That is not correct about the 13" being the same as the stock shocks off the bike. I just changed mine out Wednesday and laid them side by side and the 13" Progressive's are a 1/2" longer off the bike.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Also the suggestion of sliding the forkss up was just to see if the bike would be too low, but I have done that on a ZX12 with a stretched swingarm and liked the way it felt better than stock so the change is a debatable issue as you could like it better and you will not know for sure unless tried.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
zcat said:
That is not correct about the 13" being the same as the stock shocks off the bike. I just changed mine out Wednesday and laid them side by side and the 13" Progressive's are a 1/2" longer off the bike.
Wow.. not on my DX.. I did the same thing and measured them. I ordered the 13" directly from progressive so I figured maybe progressive say's 13" but they are really a little shorter..

Whatever, it is what I ordered and they were identical when they showed up.. who knows what they are doing.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
zcat said:
Also the suggestion of sliding the forkss up was just to see if the bike would be too low, but I have done that on a ZX12 with a stretched swingarm and liked the way it felt better than stock so the change is a debatable issue as you could like it better and you will not know for sure unless tried.
All I said is it will change the handling of the bike.. anyone's choice if it would be for the better or not.. just saying, don't expect it to handle the same.

·
Registered
53 Posts
H-D states rear shock is 323mm fully extended and 273mm compressed.
From what I've been told AirFX is the best setup and the only air setup that has rebound dampening.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Pete7539 said:
H-D states rear shock is 323mm fully extended and 273mm compressed.
From what I've been told AirFX is the best setup and the only air setup that has rebound dampening.
I believe the new Arnott setup that o2man98 is selling using BILSTEIN shocks has oil rebound dampening, I am unsure if it has compression dampening. Link Here.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
PHXDX said:
Anyword on their availability in black?
Ask Ken. Send 02man98 a PM.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts