Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
VrodG, it is aluminum and can be polished. I'm not sure what all the alloy's in the engine are though so it would be hard to say how well the finish would hold up and how much work it would take to keep it looking good.

Max

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
They are not aluminium"I'm pretty sure" so unless you clearcoated them after polishing they would just Rust!You could have theM chromed and it really isn't to bad "PRICE WISE" maybe $50-$75 each MAX!:cool:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Must have been the blurry eye thing I read stock motor the first time LOL

They make chrome rotors though.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
U NEED MORE COFFEE!;)

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So these are carbon base not stainless,have to check into getting them chromed Thanks Greg

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Hmm,Ill have to look closer, I asumed they were stainless.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
I noticed that if I park mine with wet brake pads, I will get a light coating of rust under them. It is either the metal content of the pads, or the rotors. I suspect the pads.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Why would anyone chrome the rotors? The coefficient of friction would change dramatically as well as the chrome getting worn off in fairly short order. Add to that the destruction of the pads when the chrome starts to flake off. Chroming the rotor surface is unsafe and I wouldn't suggest anyone do this! Stainless isn't a proper brake rotor material unless you have the proper pad material (which the HD pads aren't). Check out any high performance brake rotor, they are all bare steel of varying carbon and nickle content and most of them are cast then machined. Then there's the carbon fiber units that Porsche now sells for $8000 a set :eek:

Chrome or polished stainless on the non-friction area on 2 piece rotors, that's a different story ;)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I agree with mjw930. Do not plate or polish the rotor itself. Basically you will eliminate any friction in the braking system, not to mention shorten the lifespan of the rotor. Also plating the rotor could cause the rotor to wrap during processing.

Now plating the rotor MOUNT could be accomplished without friction loss, but might wrap if not properly done.

-Bry

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Tell that To RICK'S My rotor were chromed at they work just fine stopping me from 150 mph!:rolleyes:" Black Powder Coated or Chromed Calipers? " look at the pic on this thread!
:slap2:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Then you have non-TUV show disks! I think what you have are highly polished disks. This is taken directly from Rick's website:

Of course all wheel designs have matching brake discs and matching pulleys to complete the design series family. All our rigged design brake discs are made out of alloyed high-quality steel , laser cut in its design. finished on the CNC-machine and to keep the wear as less as possible quenched and tempered. Afterwards cross grinded.
Available in 10", 11,5" also 13". 12,6"(320mm) on request. If you wish we´ll highly polish.
If they were chromed after the fact then the chrome on the friction area wore off the first time you used them.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Mark,
Look at the pic in the post. If it's polished it sure is the Best Polishing I've ever seen!The brake surface has changed color"Rusted?"What ever they are they shine like a MOFO! ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I posted this on another forum.

I searched hi and low for this info. Seems that Kevlar pads seem to be the best way to keep the rotors polished. Interesting is that the EBC kevlar pads are used on most motocross bikes. part # is FA299-SN for the V-Rod. Front and rear have the same part #, and also fit other bikes. 3 req'd, if your going to do the whole bike.

If anybody has more info, please let me know.

Thanks

I doubt that anybody could tell the difference between a polished rotor and chrome a chrome one. I also doubt that a normal chrome process could ever hold up to braking. But technology changes everyday. I know that chrome has a very low melting point.

·
Registered
41 Posts
inside only

I polished mine last year in the mounting area (center), not in the braking area. Looks like chrome and no rust.
Larry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts