Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard about a company that modifies the stock rear rim to go from 5.5" to 6.5". Does anybody have any information on this process, such as who does it, contact info, etc.?...thanks, John.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
It's not going to buy you anything, the 180 and 200's (the biggest your going to fit on a 6.5) are made to fit the 5.5 rim. You'll screw up the handling if you extend the bead 1" on these tires and the 240's won't fit either.

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wanting to go with an Avon 210/18. The tire is made for a 6.25" rim, but will work with a rim in the range of 6.0" to 6.5". Avon said people have put the tire on the V-rod stock rim, and have the same thoughts as you about changing the handling of the bike.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Ah, I forgot about the Avon 210. ;) Since you're in FL, where the most turning we get to do is on off ramps, I think the handling issues shouldn't be that bad. It's the stock fender I'd worry about. The 210 might be a real tight fit.

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have already hacked up the inner fender, so a little more cuttng and grinding won't be an issue. The only place I heard about making the stock rim wider was a post on another forum about a company in Germany. Looking for somebody a little closer to home.

·
miscellaneous debris
282 Posts
contact RMD billet I spoke with them a while back about widening the stock rim they said they would work on it but I have not heard back from them....7.75" is the whith that speedpoint makes for a 240 with stock swing arm http://www.speed-point.com/english/news/frei.html
I also contacted a rep from avon and he said that they make no shuch tire 210????

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
If traction is what you are after then look at the Avon AM23.They make a 200/55 X18.

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just looking to go a little bigger than a 200, but not invest a fortune to go with a 240 (plus I want to keep the look of the stock wheels). Hence, the idea to modify the stock rim, and go with the 210.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts