Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been search the interwebs for the dimensions on the stock mufflers and can't find the info so hoping someone can chime in since my recent R is sitting in a pole barn 90min away until winter ends. Looking to pick up some automotive exhaust tips for slip-ons, but need the info before I can order.

Looking for the dimensions of the the stock mufflers....

Length-
Overall diameter-
Diameter at the inlet where it clamps to the 3rd volume-

Any info is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
That's gotta be the loudest right ear splitting setup out there - :oops: I got a set of Tab baffled slash cut and really liked them but they are twice that length and were still too loud for me and I used to race M/C's - I did put a BMW car SS / Carbon Fiber resonator exhaust tip on my Bub7 2-1 exhaust and it did take the tone down but the cheap fiberglass packing blew out in like 50 miles so I had to cut an access door in it and repack it with SS wool so now it barks when you get on it but quieter in cruise. Revo's can get obnoxiously loud with an annoying high pitch with the wrong muffler setup and that noise promotes short shifting which is not what you want with a 9000 Rpm engine - wear earplugs or get longer mufflers is the answer IMHO - (y):cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's gotta be the loudest right ear splitting setup out there - :oops: I got a set of Tab baffled slash cut and really liked them but they are twice that length and were still too loud for me and I used to race M/C's - I did put a BMW car SS / Carbon Fiber resonator exhaust tip on my Bub7 2-1 exhaust and it did take the tone down but the cheap fiberglass packing blew out in like 50 miles so I had to cut an access door in it and repack it with SS wool so now it barks when you get on it but quieter in cruise. Revo's can get obnoxiously loud with an annoying high pitch with the wrong muffler setup and that noise promotes short shifting which is not what you want with a 9000 Rpm engine - wear earplugs or get longer mufflers is the answer IMHO - (y):cool:
Yeah it is quite loud but at the end all Harleys (expect our stock R) are loud. :geek:

By the way, do you know the diameter of the 2 stock mufflers of the R ? Just the diameter of the connection to the pipe. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
It's the high pitch frequency of the short stroke Revo engine that's annoying compared to a long stroke H-D which is a much lower tone. My stock pipes are all boxed up & stored I'm going to say 1 7/8 - 2" call or check ad's for TAB performance or SuperTrapp/Kerker they have the pipe's actual diameter their mufflers slip onto -

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
It's the high pitch frequency of the short stroke Revo engine that's annoying compared to a long stroke H-D which is a much lower tone. My stock pipes are all boxed up & stored I'm going to say 1 7/8 - 2" call or check ad's for TAB performance or SuperTrapp/Kerker they have the pipe's actual diameter their mufflers slip onto -
Not sure on yours but I checked the other day on my stock 13 DX third volume where the muffler slips onto it. 2 1/2"
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
The nice thing about those two mufflers is the volume of exhaust they can flow while controlling noise and lowering the frequency- the stock system is actually pretty damn good with all those things considered kudos to H-D, but in H-D tradition its a huge weighty boat anchor system needing orange cones when you park it so no one hits their shin on the mufflers sticking way out aft - I dream of a light two carbon fiber muffler setup on a modified Muscle system - a future real fun retirement project to get the sound & flow just perfect

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the numbers. I used a pair of Cherry Bomb stainless tips on the last R and I don't remember it being that loud. I think I used 2 1/2 to 4in tips that were 18in long, but can't quite remember. I always wear earplugs when i ride since hearing loss runs in the family. All the expensive "performance" slip-ons are nothing more than exhaust tips anyways.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
I always liked the light aluminum Kerkers except for the name TWICE on them and the tunable SuperTrapps as both have supporting brackets to the footpeg mount so pretty easy install but yea, any automotive muffler will work but if not serviceable and repackable will eventually blow out the fiberglass unless they come with SS Wool which some do - my BMW resonator tip grafted onto the Bub& 2-1 really did the job on my R but it wasn't cheap or easy to adapt to the scarf cut of the pipe that's for sure - yours will be easier & good luck !

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a couple thoughts the other day...

-Has anyone tried mounting small individual cans directly to the head pipes and eliminate the aux volume and factory mufflers? Something like small sportbike or even dirtbike cans wouldn't look bad.

-Similarly, I was looking at some Gibson truck mufflers and wondered the same thing. Could a dual inlet muffler be put right to the head pipes? Clearing the pegs would be a concern and possible dragging it when leaning the bike in a corner.

Anyhow, just kicking around ideas...

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
Wow that would be even louder being ahead of your ears ! You'd have to make some kind of a mid pipe to separate the cans lengthwise - then you'd be faced with the fact that your sneakers will melt on the mid pegs and the engine will run like crap with no 2-1 scavenging - you're much better off IMHO just installing 2 mufflers on the outlet of the Aux volume chamber - if you install two lightweight mufflers like the aluminum Kerkers or SuperTrapps ( even used ) you've got one of the best exhausts out there for the Revo engine - the best bang for the lowest buck with the best sound and that is absolutely no kidding. Do what you want, just don't do something stupid - it only lowers the respect the bike gets.

·
Registered
164 Posts
one option for noise abatement is custom baffle, I put cfr 2into 1 on my R and my ears would ring for 20 minutes after ride. so i got some stainless steel plate and pipe pulled cfr baffle out and made custom using supertrapp plates and cone. Was able to titrate flow and sound by number of plates used the sound is also redirected in direction. Supertrapp also has replacement for stock if you want to keep stock headpipe kinda pricey.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, YouTube and you shall receive. It sounds really, really horrible... I'll likely do a little experimenting with my old set up. Pair of 4" automotive tips that are 18" long and try a pair of stainless adjustable baffles off eBay. The whole experiment will cost about $50

Wheel Automotive tire Window Bicycle part Circle

1 - 17 of 17 Posts