Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have about 1000 miles on my bike and my tires have a wear mark about 2 inches off center on the left side i took it to a mechanic and he said that it looks like it might be seperating. took it to the dealership and a mechanic there told me that it looks like that but went and looked at the new tires and said that it looks the same. i was wondering if anyone else had this happen to them.

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mine has been like that since day one. All the Vrods I've seen on the show room floors have been the same. It's not a wear mark, but formed in the manufacturing process IMO. If you find out different, let us know. I'd be surprised if Michelin let so many defective mc tires get past QC.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just dont feel comfortable riding on tires like that. like vrunner79 said i dont want to find out the hard way. i just dont see how that would be good. guess its for the rain to travel down so it doesnt hyroplane

·
Registered
72 Posts
Same Ol'

Mine is the same way, 2012 with 1400 miles. i have discovered that it goes away and reappears and you can sort of rub it off. Cant feel anything on the tire though, if it was a seperation you would feel a bump or ledge and it is completely smooth. Also with a seperation you would typically get a nasty vibration or at least feel it when you ride the bike. Quite frankly, seperation never even crossed my mind until reading this thread, but mine has been over 100mph and hasnt shredded. My thoughts are that it is a mold mark of sorts that hapens due the the manufacturing process. JMHO only...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually can feel a groove in it with my fingernail. I email Michelin about the tire to ask them and I'm waiting for a response. I really cant tell if it's vibrating bad cuz I ride this and a buell often. Compared to the buell the vrod is like going across glass

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I actually can feel a groove in it with my fingernail. I email Michelin about the tire to ask them and I'm waiting for a response. I really cant tell if it's vibrating bad cuz I ride this and a buell often. Compared to the buell the vrod is like going across glass
If you can Feel a groove I would take that damn tire off now and have them replace it :spank: Almost sounds like a seperation issue. Last thing I want to feel is a gap in my tire were there is not supposed to be one ( tread pattern ) the tire should go through there warranty department

·
Registered
345 Posts
Redbaron, if you are that upset and worried about it, don't ride it till you get an answer from Michelin. I'm interested in what they tell you. Mine is smoooooooooth as silk.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright so I called Michelin and was on hold for 53:42 minutes. Lady got on the phone and I told her I had a vrod muscle with her tires on there and she said I've never heard of that. Told her it was a Harley and she said ok I've heard of that. Told her what kind of tire and she said that her pic shows it down the middle. I told her mine was down the side and was wondering why. She told me that they were made by Harley for the bikes so she don't know. I told her it says Michelin on the side so she should. Then I was told to bring it to a harley dealer to let them look at it and they will call her if they needed replaced. Told her that they did and that they said it was good and she said ok do u need anything else. I asked her if I could get some kind of milage guarantee on it so if something happens then I wouldn't have to pay for repairs or such and she said that the legal team will take step in of anything was to happen. Got off the phone with her and called my favorite dealership around here and within 5 minutes I got an email showing pics of the new tires and they said they are fine to ride on and he's heard of other people asking the same questions. Out of the dealership and others writing that theirs are the same way I feel good about the tires. This will be the last set of Michelin that I buy though due to poor customer service. Thanks to everyone or their posts and help. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Now that's Sh&t customer service :spank: Someone works for a Tire company and has no clue about there own product. I deal with BS like that all the time, I own a Towing / Roadside assistance company and when one of the insurance companys call to dispatch us out 90% don't have a clue of what there talking about. If your gonna be in a indstury you should have a clue what it is you are doing :soapbox: I wouldn't be the most comfortable on that tire but if there saying its ok then put some miles on it and see if its even deep at all. Helmet & leathers until you know for sure then ride as you please. Good luck and stay safe

·
Kidzap
1,065 Posts
i have about 1000 miles on my bike and my tires have a wear mark about 2 inches off center on the left side i took it to a mechanic and he said that it looks like it might be seperating. took it to the dealership and a mechanic there told me that it looks like that but went and looked at the new tires and said that it looks the same. i was wondering if anyone else had this happen to them.
Doesn't surprise me about the kind of response your getting from Michelin or the dealer. Let me tell you about the Michelin tires you have on your bike. Yes they are Michelin's, BUT, they are Michelin's built to HD specs which are in no way the same tire that Michelin produces for motorcycles. Michelin makes an excellent tire so do many other manufacturers. The Dunlop's that came stock on the 09's were garbage. I can't stress this one fact enough, if you want the maximum performance from your tires, pump them up to what ever the max cold inflation pressure is stated on the side wall of the tire. My tire of choice Metzler set at 42 front and 52 rear.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Doesn't surprise me about the kind of response your getting from Michelin or the dealer. Let me tell you about the Michelin tires you have on your bike. Yes they are Michelin's, BUT, they are Michelin's built to HD specs which are in no way the same tire that Michelin produces for motorcycles. Michelin makes an excellent tire so do many other manufacturers. The Dunlop's that came stock on the 09's were garbage. I can't stress this one fact enough, if you want the maximum performance from your tires, pump them up to what ever the max cold inflation pressure is stated on the side wall of the tire. My tire of choice Metzler set at 42 front and 52 rear.
No offense (and NOT a personal attack) . But :bs: I think the Dunlops are just as good as any other tire out there. If you need something more "sticky" you are giving up average 1/2 life of the tire. I just replaced mine which I got 10,000 miles out of (could of went more but there was a sale at J & P) I pushed that tire hard through the corners and off the line. Pleanty of drag marks on the pipes and pegs to prove it. Proper tire inflation and adjustment of your shocks goes a long way. I got my rear at 38-40 and shocked tuned down (riding solo). I've beat pleanty of V-rods off the line with my "Dunslop" with no tire spin. At $175 shipped for a new tire people can keep there $250-$300 tires. i'll spend that money elsewere

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
No offense (and NOT a personal attack) . But :bs: I think the Dunlops are just as good as any other tire out there. If you need something more "sticky" you are giving up average 1/2 life of the tire. I just replaced mine which I got 10,000 miles out of (could of went more but there was a sale at J & P) I pushed that tire hard through the corners and off the line. Pleanty of drag marks on the pipes and pegs to prove it. Proper tire inflation and adjustment of your shocks goes a long way. I got my rear at 38-40 and shocked tuned down (riding solo). I've beat pleanty of V-rods off the line with my "Dunslop" with no tire spin. At $175 shipped for a new tire people can keep there $250-$300 tires. i'll spend that money elsewere
:them:

The only problem that I have with the Dunlop rear is that it seems to have a dynamic imbalance that upsets the front end (wobble) at speeds above 100mph. If I stay below 100, which we all should, there is no problem. I cannot find fault with the front tire.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Have you checked your "fall away" in the front or your front wheel out of balance? I've never had any kind of wobble over 100. Stable as can be. If the price comes way down on those "other tires" people think are so great then I might be wiling to give it a try but i'm happy with my Dunlops. :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is the email I just got from Michelin

What you are describing is where the anti static material is located in the tire. This material disperses the static electricity that builds up in the tire while riding. The material and groove you feel does not have any negative affect on the performance of the tire.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Here is the email I just got from Michelin

What you are describing is where the anti static material is located in the tire. This material disperses the static electricity that builds up in the tire while riding. The material and groove you feel does not have any negative affect on the performance of the tire.
Anti static?? :wazzup:. I mean nothing happened to my bike when I hit 88 MPH :D I guess if they say its good then ride on :moped:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea I guess that we had too many giggawatts coming out of our flux capacitor that the anti static material helps us from not time traveling when we hit 88 mph

1 - 18 of 18 Posts